Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

General Advice Avoid work at home scams, researching legitimate companies, general questions about making money, etc

Old 09-24-2002, 11:30 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Working from home

Stacy:

I work from home as a medical transcriptionist and I love it. I have two toddlers and I like the flexibility if offers me. I have done both types of transcription, doing the tape runs back and forth, and using the internet for transferring. I love the internet transferring best for all the obvious reasons and mostly because it saves me time and money. Alot of places are going to this type of service. You can look in your local yellow pages under Medical Record Service for most transcription companies. Some will pay you while you train. If you don't have any medical background I would suggest taking a course through your local college on medical terminology. Most colleges offer it as an internet course, at least they do here.

Hope this helps you. If you have any questions about this, you can email me personally and I will be happy to answer them.

Shelly
Old 09-30-2002, 02:36 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Lightbulb Start your own business but Read, read, read and take a class

I've been doing the ebay thing and it can be a bit rough in the beginning so start off slow if you do it. Ebay also has really neat tutorials to help you through it all.

Work at home that isn't a scam is tough. I've decided to start my own business rather than work for someone. I did the home party thing selling candles which was good in one way, but I hate trying to get people to do shows. I feel like a beggar.

What I did was read every book I could get my hands on that involved starting my own business. I also went to the small business association and I went to my local SCORE office. Score are retired business professionals that will help you develop a business plan.

You can do anything you want, make it your own. Your own hours, your own style, your own headaches. I'm planning a computer consulting, web design, & typing service. With the way the market is - I'm hoping my typing and developing resume services will be a good seller.

Good luck!
Old 09-30-2002, 08:51 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

I have looked into some work at home jobs and have been through the party plans for products....I hate to pressure people, so I am not a good salesperson. lol

And some of the jobs are just plain NASTY.....it involves the phone...lol

So does anyone know of any good sites to check out?

janet
Old 10-01-2002, 08:05 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Janet,

I would think most work from home jobs involve the phone in some way! LOL! About 5 years ago I tried Mary Kay, but I just wasn't cut out for that!

Other work from home sites:

http://www.wahm.com

http://www.hbwm.com

http://www.momsnetwork.com

I think those are the right URL's.. They should have some info about working from home.

~Cindy
Old 10-08-2002, 12:33 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

There is a newsletter I subscribe to seems to be legitimate. It is free and has many different work at home jobs, everything from phone sales to actual companies that are looking for telecommuters. They also do their best to weed out the scams. It is worth a look. Their address is www.dotcommommies.com.
Old 10-24-2002, 07:22 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Pinkie Winky Momsnetwork.com -- great resource!

I found my 2 home businesses through momsnetwork.com It is a really good resource for anyone looking for a home based business. I hope it works out for all of you!
Old 10-24-2002, 07:55 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Re: Momsnetwork.com -- great resource!

Quote:
Originally posted by jaframom
I found my 2 home businesses through momsnetwork.com It is a really good resource for anyone looking for a home based business. I hope it works out for all of you!
I agree, Moms Network is agreat resource. Another really good one is WAHM.com http://www.wahm.com
Old 10-25-2002, 09:04 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Yes!

I totally agree -- I did check that one out too!

Does anyone have any good suggestions for free online advertising?

I can't afford to pay for it yet!
Old 12-19-2002, 03:22 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

There are a lot of opportunities out there, but your really have to sort through them. My wife and I recently decided to start an "at-home" business doing internet marketing. We did some research and weighed all the options before choosing a venture. For us we didn't have to make a large paycheck right away so we traded lower risk for a businesss that required a little more "sweat equity". At first I thought is might be a scam, but checked it our via the BBB -- they got a good rating so we are giving it a go.

It all depends on what you define as a business, how much you need to make, your interests, etc...
Old 01-10-2003, 11:35 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I don't want this to sound like an ad, but I do have a home business that allows you to, at minimum, save money on items you use everyday at home. There's no inventory to purchase and no selling. You don't have to go door-to-door or have home parties (moms don't have time for that anyway). You can do the business completely from home around your schedule and at your own pace. The support you get is awesome.

Of course, as with any home business, you won't get rich quickly -- those that make that claim are scamming you. But you do get paid monthly and if you work the business consistently (part-time), over time you'll bring in a pretty good income. Over the last decade or so, I have tried various home businesses and got burned. This is the first one that actually benefits me financially and that I really feel good about.

[Edited by Moderator]