Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

General Advice Avoid work at home scams, researching legitimate companies, general questions about making money, etc

Old 09-22-2002, 06:04 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

chuckle

To obtain ideas for working at home, go to Work-At-Home-Mom's website: http://www.wahm.com/jobs.html This is one of my most favorite sites online. I get "motivated" each time I visit, especially when I read one of the success stories, like the mom who started a Secretarial Service in her home and also FunNotes. Both of these are right up my alley.

I've sold four books and a software program at half.com. It doesn't cost anything to list items there and the item can remain listed until it sells or you remove it. Half.com takes 15% of your selling price when you sell it. I get so excited whenever I make a sale.

My daughter and I are going to sell items on E-bay. In fact, the business-like clothes she bought yesterday at Salvation Army would be perfect items, if she didn't need them herself. Eight gorgeous, name-brand outfits for a total price of $31. Wish I could wear sizes 4, 6, and 8 so I could borrow them from her! :p

Donna in Georgia
Old 09-22-2002, 06:06 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Dear Lifestar,

That is too cool! I wish you lived near me, since I work ft! It did remind me of somthing similar, my sister lives in a small town, and bakes cakes and pies for a small family owned restaraunt. She doesn't get paid, BUT, she has 5 kids, and her and her kids all eat free at the restaurant!!!! How cool is that!
Old 09-22-2002, 04:52 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I currently work part-time for an attorney. When he is away, I have to call his voice mail and sort messages. If it's important, I email him or call him, and I make appointments. I can do this from home. It doesn't make a huge amount of money, but it is definately easy to work in my schedule. I have a friend who works from home scheduling appointments and surgical procedures for a doctor( obviously, this requires a higher skill level). I have done everything over the years, from babysitting, to selling Avon, etc. I found that sales are very unpredictable. I would suggest advertising in your local paper, or making up a mailer to whatever specialty you feel qualified. I found my job through my husband. Sometimes a family member or friend may know of someone who only needs an assistant a few hours a week.
Old 09-22-2002, 05:29 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Hi Charlen..

THanks. I have been asking around but I kind of like the idea of making flyers or putting ad in the paper. THat might get some attention instead of just talking about it. I'd like to find something that I could do a couple hours a day while my daughter is at school. I don't know if I'm ready to give up my career as a hairstylist but it can be kind of hard because I can't take a day off when I want because my schedule doesn't allow for that, I have clients that depend on me to be there. THat is what I'm getting tired of. I'm not even allowed to be sick! It can be very demanding. THat's why I want something that I make the hours and do as much or as little as I want.

I want to thank you all for all the great ideas. I've already checked into Ebay and am thinking about doing that for now until I find something a little more secure as far as how much I would make. My job right now is very up and down as far as pay because I am only paid on commission so every paycheck is different. I would love to have something where I know that my check is going to be a certain amount every week. Makes for easier budgeting!

Thank you again!

Stacy
Old 09-22-2002, 08:50 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Stacy,

I have a friend who is a stylist that now does hair only from home.

She has a baby and a toddler, and her clients LOVE her. We work around her schedule, and go to her house to get our hair done.

She added a hair-washing type sink in what used to be her linnen closet, just outside the bath...it was an easy plumbing hook-up. Some people come with wet hair, and she does the cutting in the kitchen.

Often her toddler sets up her dolls in a little chair and "cuts" their hair at the same itme, it's kind of cute.

She charges only $15 for a cut and blow dry, so you NEVER mind when she has to stop to chase after her kid, or tend to the baby for a minute, because, it's such a bargain. And quite honestly that doesn't happen often. A video for the toddler, and the baby in the swing with a chewey...she gets a lot done! lol!

Haircuts around here are $25-$35 easily. She'll even give you tea and conversation if you want all for a price you can't beat, and it's a REALLY great haircut!

I don't know if this is what you are already doing, but maybe it can be what you could add in on your off days?
Old 09-23-2002, 04:12 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Hi Lifestar...

Hi. I have thought of that but I would want to do something else along with that. I don't know if I could do hair at home but nails would be possible. I have a lot of nail clients.

I couldn't do that on my days off because I still work in a salon and I wouldn't be allowed to do that. But once I find something else that I can do here at home, that is definately an option. It's not that I don't like doing hair and nails, I do, but it just doesn't fit into my schedule right now. So I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Thanks for the ideas.

Stacy
Old 09-23-2002, 12:45 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Just a note about eBay--I just started trying to sell stuff on eBay because I am a SAHM. It is really easy to learn how to sell, not so easy to learn how to price so that you always make a profit. One thing I learned right off the bat though is to make sure you have your shipping costs correct! I had my costs a little lower than most I saw because I thought it was ridiculous to pay more in shipping than the cost of the item. Then my items sold and when I went to the post office I found that I had underestimated shipping and paying the difference ate up a lot of my profits. You can go to the post office website beforehand and get a more accurate estimate. I think the address is www.usps.com.

Any notes on pricing from ou succesful eBayers would be greatly appreciated here!
Old 09-23-2002, 12:54 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

THanks..

THank you for that tip. I was wondering how you find out how much the shipping will be. I guess I should go out and buy a scale so that I can figure it out here at home instead of having to run out to the post office everytime I have to send something. THat is a helpful tip. Thanks again.

Stacy
Old 09-23-2002, 02:05 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I just tried to sell my first item on ebay on the weekend...but i had to cancel at the last minute because there are so many things to read and I wasn't ready for posting yet.

But I did notice that they have a bunch of links before setting your item up to sell...the links are right there and the explanation is pretty clear about pricing shipping. You can even NOT specify a shipping cost, or specify an average cost. I plan not to specify a cost, and then in the description I designated that "you will be charged the exact amount for shipping".

However, now that I'm thinking about it, how in the world will I know exactly what an item ships for? I have to get a scale and weigh the entire item in the shipping envelope/box, and have that information ready before I even post the item for sale....is that what is best?
Old 09-23-2002, 10:06 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I don't know what is supposed to be best as far as shipping costs. I only know from my personal opinion that as a buyer I won't bid on an item that doesn't specify shipping because I factor that in when considering how much I am willing to bid.