Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

General Advice Avoid work at home scams, researching legitimate companies, general questions about making money, etc

Old 07-18-2002, 08:51 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

If you aren't using the auction area to sell the books, what are you selling them under? Zshops? Does it cost to become a member there? I have tons of books that are practically brand new that I would love to sell
Old 07-18-2002, 01:26 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Thanks for the useful info on selling used books! I also have a bunch of books I should sell.

Getting back to the original question of how we manage to work at home (or something along those lines), I wish I had really neat tips I could share, but the main thing that helps me and saves my sanity is that my husband cooks when he gets home and then takes care of the kids after dinner.

Since I homeschool the kids, I generally try to work whenever they decide to play (nicely) by themselves, and also during the 1 hour a day that I allow them to watch a favorite show. I'll use bribes when absolutely necessary too (sometimes you just have to bribe when you get phone calls that don't occur during a quiet period). ;-)

I have a studio/work room, but because my kids are young, I like to work as close to where they are as possible.

Find out more about autism at:
Autism Research Institute
Old 07-18-2002, 04:51 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I have four children, three still at home, and I have tried many work at home things and have just found one I think works for me in the last year....my biggest hurdle in making any of them work has been to be disciplined with my time. It seems there are always fires to be put out each day just with the life at home, and make it difficult to stay on task....I have tried to organized my time to best fit when I know the other crises' in life will be slow... does that make sense? This year my youngest will be in first grade and be in school the same amt. of time as the other two, so I plan on using that time to work and devote the time when they get home directly to my kids. That is the plan anyway, but for summer.....honestly I seem to have too many fires burning, so I have not been real good at keeping on task., but on the UPside, I have done lots of great things with my kids :0)! Good luck with your business!
Old 07-20-2002, 10:15 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I tried and failed

I tried a home-based business twice with the same business but through separate reps. It is just not my thing to call people!
Old 07-22-2002, 02:12 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

chuckle SAHM suggestions

Hi
I'm trying to be a SAHM! I have a few suggestions that have helped me along the way.
1. Make time for your business. Make sure you can have alone time to run through ideas in your head without the interruptions.
2. Marketing is hard, but there are usually bulletin boards at local consignment shops, grocery stores, etc. People usually do stop by to look at them. Also, depending on what type of business it is, there are many apartment complexes that offer Welcome Packets to their new residents as well as newsletters. Some will let you advertise for free because it gives them more information for their tenants.
3. Organization is a big key!!! Right now as I say how important organization is, I have a dresser full of paperwork and stuff waiting to get put away. But it is also definitely necessary.

I know there are other things to do to help your business run successfully. But the best way to make it grow is through presentation, word of mouth and referrals. Good luck in your endeavors ladies!!
Old 10-18-2002, 08:03 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Well,
I am beginning to sew children's clothing at home. I am about to get a file cabinet becasue I stuff spread everywhere. I have also started using my crockpot alot lately and I may buy another.
My five year old is one of the biggest challenges because she is always wanting something. So I started putting snacks and drinks low enough for her to get them herself.

My 1 year old...well she is 1. I have also started making a list the night before of what I need to do the next morning. My 5 year old is in kindergarten so I try to finish the big stuff before she gets home. I use the internet for alomost evrything. Even buying my patterns. That way I can write down the numbers I want and just going in with the baby on my hip and pick up my patterns and go.

I do this when it comes to books as well. You can also call the places and some will have them ready when you walk in.

I have also found a way to do crafts without the mess.... MICHAEL'S!!!! you pay 2 bucks and they provide all the stuff and they get a great craft to take home. I let my daughter do it twice a month. I don't have to clean or set up or keep the one year old off the paint. The crafts are awesome they are on the website.

I have found that when I do my second career which is hair and makeup for model photshoots(doesn't pay yet!) That people get very snooty so I write my children down as an appoitment. I just write their middle name and the time they need me, therefore when I open my apponitment book they think I have all this stuff to do and they really want to get in with me. (the modeling industry is so superficial) So I write down everything form dance class to speech. I just write in a code that I understand, like the teacher's name etc.
I am still working on this but I thought this may help out.
Old 11-15-2002, 06:03 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi ladies,

I work at home and absolutely love it. There is nothing better than being home with your baby! My Sophia is 10 months old and it is so much fun to have her company while I work (although, most of my work as you can guess is done during naptimes! lol!) Aren't we all glad that there are so many opportunities for us to work at home nowadays? Not only do we get to stay home with our children, but we can get paid while doing so! Better go, baby just woke up!
Old 03-30-2005, 09:58 AM
Nine Year Member

I love being home with my children while still earning a paycheck. If I didn't have the flexiblity of my home business I wouldn't have been able to take my youngest to all the doctors and therapists in the past 2 yrs.

I use nap time to call clients and do most of the housework in the evenings just like I did when I worked outside of the house. My youngest is now in a special needs pre-school which is 4 days 2 1/2 hours so that has given me a lot more "free" time without paying a sitter to do deliveries and recruiting.

I do my outside work in the morning while the kids are at school then home for lunch and put down the youngest for her nap then I do homework (phone calls, paperwork, etc.) before picking up the oldest after school.

Roberta
Old 10-08-2007, 11:32 AM
Four Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Working at home is great! I especially don't miss the office politics and cliques. It can be a little boring somedays but most of the time I'm busy enough that the day flys by.