Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

General Advice Avoid work at home scams, researching legitimate companies, general questions about making money, etc

Old 07-16-2002, 05:50 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I think that it is too bad that we cant share our good or bad experiences with WAHM. I know that I have been very frustrated in trying to find something and ending up with scams. And have given up hope for finding something that can really work. But there are moms out there that have succeeded and I would love to find that too. It is too bad that we cant share that and try to help the struggling moms with the legitamet jobs.:mad: :mad:
Old 07-16-2002, 06:31 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I think you've misunderstood, Regina ...

Amanda did not say we could NOT talk about our experiences. What you cannot do is solicit people to join your "company" or "upline" or whatever. If you have found a WAH job that is legitimate, you are welcome to share the experience. It would probably be best (keeping the 'no soliciting' rules in mind) to not mention the company you work for, though. For instance, I know many people who have started their own business that involves simply buying the products they intend to use. No selling involved unless they want to. They can 'recruit' people if they choose as well. This is a very basic MLM scheme. My dh and I have researched this same company and found that it saves us more money by shopping at Sam's Club, therefore we have chosen NOT to join this program.

Another example would be how Amanda has "grown" this Webzine. She did so with a great deal of hard work and lots of networking. Then there is my own business, also done strictly through the Internet through networking. I'm a freelance writer and Web designer.

I am not soliciting my business (right now I cannot take on any more) but I am sharing my experiences. This is what is allowed. What you cannot do is say, "I found a great business, please email me if you want to learn how to make lots of money!" That is soliciting and not allowed.

If you are still not sure that what you'd like to post is acceptable, feel free to send an private email to Amanda and ask for her opinion.
Old 07-16-2002, 06:39 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Thank you Kelly for clarifying that information.

I would also like to point out that this particular thread was started asking other WAHM's how they cope and to share thier experiences in how they deal with working at home. I have yet to see much conversation on that.

Regina, as for being frustrated in finding something, I totally understand. I've been there myself. THAT's why I provided that huge list of resources and articles to help you on your way in finding the right at home business for you. This is not a board for people saying "I'd like to learn more, here's my email, please send me info!". That just does not fit here. Sorry.

If you see someone talking about something you think might interest you, feel free to email them privately and request the information from them, but it's not allowed on the board. This is also why we allow people to use a signature line. They can include their url in their sig and you can visit their website for more info. But that's where I draw the line. Believe me, if I don't it turns into a giant classifed ad board.

Thanks for your understanding.
Old 07-17-2002, 09:41 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I work from home too.

Hello all, I have been lurking for some time reading all the posts and finally signed up to post in the forum as I see so many interesting subjects.

I had an excellent job as a Executive Director for a Contractor Safety Orientation Program until August of last year. (Layed off without notice :mad: )

After that I decieded to start my own cleaning business, homes and commercial accounts. Well this went well for awhile. Cleaning homes I quickly got out of. People are sooo picky and quirky that if you don't do it exactly as they do they pitch a fit. The commercial accounts were small but paid very well. Sadley after the 9/11 tragedy all the business's here were hit hard by the falling economy and cut back on services and of course I was the first to go.

After that by the grace of God, one of my son's friends (who is a foster child) asked us to get licensed because he wanted us to raise him. He is 17. We did and now have him and are getting another foster child soon. Now don't get me wrong, we did this strictley for him because we cared and soon found that we could give ourselves to other children that needed a good stable home too. We get paid from the state to care for them and the pay is really good. For just our one foster son we get over a thousand dollars a month. This covers housing, food etc. (better than child support I was recieving for my 2 sons! $500 per month for the both of them.)

I consider this a job because these children really have some deep issues and dissabilities and require constant care and attention.

This isn't something everyone could or would be willing to do, but I love it and it almost replaces what I lost income wise from my old job.

In addition to that I have been a big time sweepstake junkie since my layoff and have won tons of stuff I really don't need. Yesterday UPS delivered a Whirlpool Microwave to my front door, we already have 2. I started selling these items on ebay and amazon and wow, made money from items I never paid for. I am just getting into the swing of ebay and see some potential for us there.

It looks as though with all my odd jobs put together I will very soon be back to my old fulltime salary and able to stay home with the kids whild doing it!

Just thought I would share my experience with you. :-}

I am very anxious to start checking out the links that many of you have posted for more information. Always willing to look at new ideas!

Thanks for the great forum. Take care and I wish all that are trying to accomplish working from home the best of luck. Just think out of the box and be creative!
Old 07-17-2002, 11:56 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

a little extra spending money

Hello, I am still a little unclear about this thread so am not sure if this is allowed or not. I have been selling things on ebay for the past couple of years. I don't make a whole lot but do make some extra spending money for my self. I usuall turn around and buy more stuff of of ebay. This is a lot of fun. Good new and used baby and childrens clothing sells really well. I also sell crochet patterns and some items that I crochet. You have to be careful with postage though. The rates went up and priority mail is higher and different then it used to be
Old 07-17-2002, 12:36 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Question

I too am a WAHM and have two small children (ages 2 and 3). While I am confident in my decision to start my own business (I love being able to stay home with my babies ) I am nervous and a little scared as well. I have tried to set up a routine and regular business hours (usually while the kids are napping) for myself. This keeps me on track and focused. I also use my cell phone as my business phone so that when I am not working, or don't want to answer, I can just turn it off and although I live in an apartment, I have tried to designate some space as an office. I think that by trying to keep to a routine and all I will have better sucess. Another trick that I have discovered is getting dressed before I begin doing my work, as wierd as this sounds I feel more professional and confident when making my customer service type calls to my customers.

Well I hope this is what you were looking for.
Old 07-17-2002, 05:21 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

To post things on Ebay what type of camera do you have to have? I have a lot of cross-stitch items that I could sell but have never checked into that. Especially a lot of pattern books and supplies that I just dont use. Do people want pictures of that sorta stuff also?
Old 07-17-2002, 07:20 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by Regina Ptacek
To post things on Ebay what type of camera do you have to have? I have a lot of cross-stitch items that I could sell but have never checked into that. Especially a lot of pattern books and supplies that I just dont use. Do people want pictures of that sorta stuff also?
I use an Olympus D-490 Zoom, it's one of the more expensive ones, but I need the quality photos for this site. You can get less expensive digital cameras that take decent pictures.

If you have a scanner and can't afford a camera right now, you can place your item face down on the scanner and scan it! I have done it with my jars when my digital camera was in the repair shop
Old 07-18-2002, 08:20 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

ebay

When I first started listing items all I had was a cheap jam cam and it worked real well for me at the time. Now I am useing a kodak digital camera that I bought at Wal-Mart for less then $200 and it gets the job done. I think craft books should sell really well. Sometimes if I have something that I am not sure about I look at all the other listings in that catagory and see how they are listed and what they are listed under.
Old 07-18-2002, 08:49 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I have made quite a bit of extra money selling books on Amazon.com. The books that really sell the best and fastest are self help books, fitness and craft books. I made over $200. about a month and a half with Amazon. I prefer to list books there instead of Ebay.

Amazon also has an auction site too. I just listed items with them for the first time, so I am not sure of how well that auction goes compared to Ebay.?