Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Home & Garden > Around the Home > Making Money > General Advice

General Advice Avoid work at home scams, researching legitimate companies, general questions about making money, etc

Old 02-18-2006, 09:53 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Working From Home

Hi,

I work from home as a third party verification rep and I also do legal document coding on the side. At one point I did own my own company, but that didn't work out and I ended up closing. Are there any other work at home parents on this forum? If so what do you do? Do you work full time or part time? At this time, I work full time with one day off, usually Sundays. What do you like working from home? I like the fact that I don't have long commutes and if I want to work in my PJ's that day, I can. I started working from home as a Customer Service Rep back in 2003, my two boys were in school, but my daughter was still at home. She was 4 at the time. We couldn't afford daycare, and even if we could, my income would have went straight to the daycare, so why even work right? But I had to do something. I'd been a homemaker for the past 7 years at the time, and I really needed to do something independant and bring home some money. So
[edited by Head Moderator. Please don't include websites for for-profit companies, without checking with the Administrator first.]
When I first stared out I started with per minute calls. I only was paid per talk time. Now i've found a company that pays me per hour. It took me three years to get in, but I LOVE my job. Seriously love it.

Does anyone else work from home? Please share

Last edited by ctealady; 02-18-2006 at 10:08 AM.
Old 02-18-2006, 10:13 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I've been working for AVON Products for 10 yrs, 7 of which come May as my only job as a sales representative and recruiter. I've had two children since joining AVON and love the flexiblity of scheduling around my family and other obligations. I make more at home working part-time than I did working full-time as an office manager and paying daycare on one child.

Roberta

Old 02-18-2006, 10:34 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

For Profit Companies? I'm confused. The website I listed does not ask for fees. You are an IC with the company. Please explain in more detail. Thank you
Old 04-05-2006, 06:52 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Working from home

Hey guys, I am new here, so I don't want to ruffle any feathers, but I do have a great home based business opportunity. It is a 34 yr old company on the NY Stock Exchange. There is no inventory and the product is something we all need, but only 2% of Americans currently have it. So, if you are interested,[Please contact this member by email or PM--] Now I am heading off to find some suggestions on how to organize my home so I don't have to spend hours looking for things. UGH!
Old 04-10-2006, 07:28 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

My apologies, I apparently broke the rules. here. I was told that if I give more detail about my business that I could write about it. So.. I work from home, with my 20 month old by my side. I also have a 7 and 9 year old that go to school. I work about 2 hours a day and the rest of the time is spent desperately trying to organize my home. (to no avail ) I work with a company called Pre Paid Legal which offers a legal insurance of sorts and has the best Identity Theft Product on the market. I market the product as well as help others to start their own business with PPL. It is a great way to leverage my time and help others do the same. I really enjoy it.
Old 04-10-2006, 08:49 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Hi teagsmum and welcome!
Thanks for the information you've shared--and I hope you enjoy your time here at FC!
Old 04-12-2006, 03:45 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi everyone ~
I also work from home. I own and operate a home based gift basket business that I completely enjoy. I have two kids, ages 3 and 6, and work when I can making gift baskets and working on my website. I love working from home. I wouldn't have it any other way

Liz
Old 04-13-2006, 03:52 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I work from home. I work for a company called Cadmus Journal services. I have worked for them for a little over 8 1/2 years. It is actually a printing company. I type articles for medical and scientific journals.

I do basically have to commute. I have to drive in to work each evening, to drop of the previous days work, and pick up the work for the next day.

I like working from home for many reasons. I tell everyone I don't get real benefits, but love the personal benefits! I can work in my pjs. I was able to send all my kids off to school, and get them after school. I was also able to breast feed my last child while I worked. At no inconvenience!

I was there for the kids whenever they needed me, and do all the stay at home mom stuff, while still having a career.

I still work at home, but, I am also taking a part-time job at my church as an office manager, the hours will be basically what I pick. But, I feel this job is a calling to me from above. For some reason!

When I was young, I always said I wanted to be someone...I guess I should have been more specific!
Old 04-13-2006, 04:08 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

How fast do you type for it to be cost effective? I can type well and wonder if I should contact the university about offering services, but I think most people can type well now so I thought that market was dead?

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."
Old 04-13-2006, 04:35 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I really couldn't answer your question about being cost effective. I get paid by the keystrokes, it is 90cents per 1,000 keystrokes, or for more detailed work, it is $1.20 per 1,000 keystrokes. An article is anywhere from 500 to about 200,000 keystrokes. And at most with the 190,000 keystrokes it takes me about 5 hours. So, yes I can make over $200 in day, but those articles are not typical. A typical article is 40,000 keystrokes.

When I started this job, I had to take a typing test, I had to be able to type 55 wpm, with only three errors. I passed with 65 wpm, and only two errors.

The last time I timed myself about three years ago, I was 80 wpm with 2 errors.

I have thought already about contacting a college also. But, most of the kids type their own reports now.

What I am typing has to have coding for online publishing. That is why my job is not obsolete. Not to mention it also has special coding for certain symbols to be printed properly. These symbols for example are: lambdas, ohms, beta, phi, cappa, and so on. Which if you look those symbols are not on a keyboard.

Also, we type the equations that if you ever saw the movie "Good Will Hunting" the equations that were on that movie.

So, my suggestion is if you live near a college I would at least if you are interested, get your name out there. There are still a few students that are what I call peckers, and can't type, and would actually pay someone else to type them for them so they can do more fun stuff!

When I was young, I always said I wanted to be someone...I guess I should have been more specific!