Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Home & Garden > Around the Home > Making Money > General Advice

General Advice Avoid work at home scams, researching legitimate companies, general questions about making money, etc

Old 10-17-2005, 12:41 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

working at home

How does everyone manage their time working at home and how do you let people know that working at home is a job not a social time for them when ever they feel like stopping by.
Old 10-24-2005, 07:54 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I'm an AVON Sales Representative and Recruiter and juggle my hours around my children's school schedules and husband. You need to set a schedule that will work for you but that has some flexiblity in it to be able to handle what life brings.

My youngest is in preschool 4 days a week for 2 1/2 hours in the morning so I schedule 90% of my deliveries and recruiting during that time. She still takes a nap after lunch so I use her nap time as phone & paperwork time and while at home I throw a load or two of laundry in the wash to fold in the evenings. Then it is time to pick up the oldest at school once or twice a week we will make deliveries on the way home for those that weren't available in the morning. Twice a week we have afterschool activities and I schedule deliveries for those that work on our way home from 5:15-6:00 and have a quick dinner planned or in the crock pot so we can eat when we get home.

My family works as do most of my friends so I don't get a lot of calls or drop ins that aren't expected. If you have a problem then you might need to schedule 12-1 as your lunch time and tell people that you are available then to chat or in the evenings. The major problem I had as when my husband was working 3rd shift he would get home whenever and want to spend time together until he went to bed and he didn't always "get" that I had work that had to be done and couldn't always spend more than lunch time with him.

Roberta

Old 10-24-2005, 09:18 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Pinkie Winky

You need to set some clear boundaries. Those that are stopping by unannounced are obviously people close to you - friends and family. So, you need to tell them your work hours and that you cannot be disturbed during those hours. Tell them when is the best time to call or stop by - evenings, perhaps.

If worse comes to worst, you simply do not have to answer the door. Pretend you are not home. I hope that you also have Caller ID on your phone so you can see who is calling. Do not answer personal calls during your business hours!

~Melanie
Old 10-24-2005, 09:29 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Pinkie Winky

I've been working from home for a little more than 6 years.

My first job was writing grant proposals for a local college and for the past 4 years I've been a corporate transcriptionist.

In the morning I homeschool my kindergartner and in the afternoon I do my transcription work. I know exactly how much I need to work to make what is required for my family's budget. When I hit that mark, I don't work anymore that week.

At first I was trying to make as much money as I could, but I was getting nothing else done.

I work about 2-3 days a week. Those 2-3 days I transcribe in the afternoon and a little in the evenings. During those times I do not answer my phone or my door. If someone needs to reach me, they know to leave a message. I have an aunt that refuses to leave messages and I keep reminding her that I don't answer the phone while I'm working because if I were in an office setting I wouldn't answer the phone just to chit-chat.

When you first start working from home people have a hard time realizing that you don't have oodles of free time. But eventually they get accustomed to the idea that you have a responsibility and they respect that.

Since I've been at this job for a little over 4 years I've "trained" all my friends and family to know exactly when to call.

Good luck! There's nothing like working in your jammies!

Tammy
Old 10-24-2005, 12:40 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

"I'm sorry, I can't talk now, I'm 'at work' right now. Bye."

Period, end of story.

A friend of mine has a flipside of this problem. He has always worked outside the home but due to a fire, he is now free-lancing from home. His wife works part-time and feels that since he is "at home" that she can leave the kids with him while she goes out and socializes with her friends. When he tries to work, if he *isn't* attentive to the kids, she comes home and finds a disaster in the house and blames him. If he *is* attentive to the kids, he can't get his work done properly. He's talked it over with her a number of times, but she's been a SAHM or worked part-time while the kids are in school for so long, she thinks there is no reason he couldn't handle both.

Maybe we women are genetically preprogrammed to be able to juggle kids and other stuff?

Rani
Old 10-30-2005, 06:42 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

working at home

-For me it is a challange every day. I am a housewife /homemaker/ mom. We have multiple jobs. I used to work at the bank for 13yrs. I have a son who is fixing to turn 10 and a little girl 6 and in first grade. When I have run into my old coworkers.. its like they speak that being "at home" is a vacation 7 not work. Well, how wrong! It used to bother me because I would then sometimes feel that I shoud be working. My father-in-law is 82 yrs. old. He lives 2 house down from us. He can not hear very well so we communicate by fax. (The wonder of computers!) I have to do alot of things for him, since he cannot hear, medical, billing, ect. I have in-laws that do not help, but in-laws is another story. My mom cannot drive so I also try to help her. Also, I can almost time when something may go wrong on the playground at school. It is hard to keep everthing going at home. Fridays are "grocery day" for me & my mom. Sometimes
fieldtrips or other appt. reschedule it for Thurs. though. Timing is important
to pick up the kids on that day also. (You would think it wouldn't take that long to grocery shop) During the day I do get "drop-ins" by my father-in-law. He cannot hear over the phone so I help him in that. Sometimes I have to take him to the dr. I do stop what I am doing with the house & sit down & talk to him though. My mother-in-law has been gone for 6 years so sometime he just wants to talk. Since my own father passed away, I realize how much that time with them means. Sorry this so so long, I got carried away writing my thoughts. But, know matter what anyone else says, those of us do WORK at home. samanthaj
Old 10-30-2005, 12:09 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

working at home

Thanks for all the ideas, I will defiently be using some of these. The other day I forgot to open my curtains right away and the person that was going to stop by didn't, they thought I was gone or sleeping. When they said that I went o ya I was sleeping, I was up late working, now you know what I'll be doing more often.

Thanks again everyone for the great ideas
Old 11-04-2005, 12:19 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Does anyone have any suggestions on were to look for a work at home job that is not a scam?
Old 11-05-2005, 05:45 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

If you are wanting to do typing, etc. I would call some local offices to see if they out source their office work.

If you are wanting to start a home based business then you can check into all direct sales companies to find a good match for you.

Roberta

Old 02-25-2010, 10:58 PM
One Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Because by doing so, you have the ability to stay at home and earn an income while raising your own children or pursuing other passions. You are available to your family and you don't have to stress out about long hours away from home, terrible commutes or awful bosses!
But how can you get started? What should you look for in a home-based business or getting into an online business such as affiliate marketing?