Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Home & Garden > Around the Home > Making Money > General Advice

General Advice Avoid work at home scams, researching legitimate companies, general questions about making money, etc

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.67 average.
Old 04-11-2002, 12:36 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Working from home

I was just wondering how one finds a job that they can do from home. I have gotten plenty of emails, but I didn't want to get sucked into a money-making scheme. Is anyone currently doing this and how did you find your job? I would love to have more time at home with my daughter and would appreciated any advice.

Thanks,

Jenn
Old 04-12-2002, 04:28 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Jenn,

Any job you do from home will be just that: a job. Sure, you will be home with your daughter, but you will still need to spend time focusing on the work. I don't believe there is any legitimate 'get rich quick' job out there.

But, let's see what there IS out there for a disciplined, self-starter ...

I currently work as a Web designer and freelance writer. I need to market myself as well as be creative. Sometimes the interruptions from my children break my flow. There are lots of other people who work on the Internet as well, like our Webmom, Amanda. I think I speak for many cyber-workers when I say the dress code is great!

I've heard that you can be a transcriber at home. I'm not sure how to go about doing that, though. I'm also not sure if it's medical records or other writings.

I used to assemble things at home. No, not the things that are advertised in junk mail. I had heard of a friend who had a friend who worked for a small printing company in the area assembling folders. I got the name of the person she worked with at the company and contacted him. While I was in AZ one year, I took a phone book and made a few cold calls to look for work with my s-i-l. There was a small printing company out there who also used home workers, but they didn't have any work at the time.

Drive through an industrial section sometime. Look for the companies that are the size of Target, Walmart, or smaller. Contact their personnel departments and find out if they have any work available for outsourcing.

You may even want to type up a little resume of sorts. Let them see your typing skills, your creativity (lay it out like a brochure or a flyer) and your availability.

Another friend of mine has a hairdresser shop set up in her home. You'll have to check the local laws for running a business out of your home.

I met a woman who watches other people's pets.

I've run a day care in my home in the past.

I've met a woman who sorts and counts coupons for a local grocery store.

Okay, that's just a few ideas.

(I'd like to remind anyone else who plans to respond to this that this woman is looking for ideas only. If you want to solicit her to be part of your "team" or join your company, or anything like that, DON'T!! It's not allowed here on the Idea Exchange. If you are unsure of how to post about a job opportunity that Jenn can try, please contact Amanda with your message first to get her okay for posting.)

Kelly H.
Old 04-13-2002, 07:24 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Wow Kelly made some excellent points! Well done!

You might also want to check with the local temp and placement services in your area. These places will test you on your Word, Excel, and typing skills, as well as give you an array of other tests to help place you. Then they of course check their files and match you up. I'm not sure if they handle home workers, but it's worth a shot!

The other thing you might want to do is check our classified section, which is the ONLY place that WAHM businesses are allowed to post their opportunuties, and they must pay for that.
http://www.thefamilycorner.com/servi...ssifieds.shtml

Here are some other great resources for working at home and finding the right business for you!

WAHM.com
http://www.wahm.com
Moms Network Exchange
http://www.momsnetwork.com
Bizy Moms
http://www.bizymoms.com

Good luck!

visit my blogs:
Amanda's Cookin'
Crafts by Amanda
Old 04-16-2002, 08:13 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Amanda & Kelly,

Thanks so much for your insight and advice. I will definitely check out the links that you provided. I will be sure to update you with any progress that I make.

Jenn
Old 04-17-2002, 04:23 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Hey Jennz

I almost forgot. One of our sister sites helps you find flex work, telecommuiting jobs, and work from home positions. It's called WomansWork:
http://www.womans-work.com

visit my blogs:
Amanda's Cookin'
Crafts by Amanda
Old 04-18-2002, 02:49 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I have been a WAHM for 17 months, and I wanted to ad to this topic. You need to check everything out before you spend a dime! Take it from someone who has tried a lot of "stuff" out there. It took me about 2 years to actually find something that I felt comfortable in doing.

Know the difference between a home job and a home based business. With a home job, they should never ask for you to pay anything to get started. With a home based business, you almost always have a start up fee...some are less expensive than others, so you just need to search them out.

Good luck!

Kim Troutman
Old 04-19-2002, 04:14 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Excellent Point, Kim!

Let me just add to that by saying that there is a lot more responsibility with a home based business, too.

With a home job, you are working for someone else. With a homebased business, you are totally responsible for your own income. If you want more, you work more (or raise your rates ). You need to keep track of your income and expenditures. There's marketing, follow-ups on customers/clients, etc. Lots to think about!

Kelly H.
Old 04-19-2002, 08:07 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

You are definitely right about the work involved in a home based business....BUT....it can also be a lot of fun as long as you don't let it consume your life. I am the type of person who get's started with something (like advertising) and find it hard to stop. That's where I start to get burned out and frustrated. So, now I have a schedule, and I allow myself a certain amount of time throughout the day to work, and the rest of the day I either clean or I play with my kids.

I guess my point is, a home based business does take a lot more work than a home job(as far as I know, I've never had a typical "job" at home) but if you set a pace that you are comfotable with, and you don't become overwhelmed, it can be tons of fun as well!

Just my 2 cents
Kim
Old 04-19-2002, 08:26 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Right again, Kim!

Jenn, are you taking notes?

And homebased businesses have more rewards than merely working at home. The benefits and rewards are all yours!

I'm a big proponent of schedules, myself. Between homeschooling 3 kids, chasing 2 kids, household upkeep for a family of 7, writing and Web design, I'd go crazy without a schedule!

But, Kim, don't you just love spontaneous days, too?

Life is what you make of it - it can be exciting, or stressful. Just keep your priorities straight and it will all fall into place.

Kelly H.
Old 04-19-2002, 09:07 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Oh yes! I LOVE those days!!

I have a family of 5, and 2 of them are toddlers! So sometimes a schedule is next to impossible!

You are in websdesign? I am trying to figure out how to do html, and it seems...well...HARD! I am a complete idiot when it comes to learning stuff like that, but I really want to get this website going. I had someone create the design for me, and I have another person looking into cleaning up what we have so far. Do you know where I can get some EASY TO UNDERSTAND help for html?? I signed up to be in a class, but the lady doing it only has 2 people so far interested in the class, and she wants at least 5...SO I'm not sure when that will get done.

Can you help

Kim