Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

General Advice Avoid work at home scams, researching legitimate companies, general questions about making money, etc

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.67 average.
Old 07-15-2003, 09:06 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Question

I've just finished reading all the wonderful posts. My question is everyone that has found a job working from home, but they aren't sharing what they are doing.
If you've found something wonderful and rewarding why aren't you telling us what it is.

Is there some kind of rule that I don't know about??

Just wondering.
Old 07-15-2003, 09:14 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Guidelines for advertising

Hello,

We do not mention the 18 year old company that we work with simply because of advertising the name. This company has regulations regarding advertising and they can not have everybody who is working for them advertise their name all over. They have guidelines to follow, so by not mentionning the company name we are not getting anybody in trouble. Hope this answers your question.
Old 07-17-2003, 12:35 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Yes, Thank you that did answer my question.
Old 12-18-2003, 10:08 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Things I've Tried

I tried selling for various companies, Home parties, direct sales. It didn't work for me because I am not good at selling something I don't believe in. I found that the price of the goods I sold was too high for the value of stuff. Some things that I sold I just found it hard to get people to spend money on at all.

My advice: If you are a people person and you like the product line and the prices, go for it. I have known people successful in Amway, Usborne books, Mary Kay, and Avon. I didn't succeed because I didn't believe the products were worth the price.

I found it difficult mostly because I live a very frugal lifestyle which doesn't include a lot of products that I was selling.

I don't mean to say that these are bad companies. They are good companies with good reputations.

I did also want to mention looking for work in strange places. For instance, your grocery store. You may see ads on the carts or on the floor. Look closely and copy down the website or company name that puts the ads there. Look it up on the internet and see if there are opportunities for field representatives or something.

Or go to wal-mart during the day, look around for someone with a cart, clipboard and not working for wal-mart. They are working for various companies doing merchandising. Introduce yourself and say that you are looking for work and ask if their company is hiring or if they have a business card. I don't know how Wal-Mart would feel about it, but It's how I got a few jobs. The pay is good. Sometimes $10/hour, sometimes more and only a few hours per week.

I have the flu right now, so I may or may not have been clear!!
Old 02-06-2004, 02:23 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I am looking for something to do to stay at home when my baby is born in late June. I was wondering if any of you do medical billing or any other type of data entry and how to get started in that.

I don't want to make phone calls or sell anything.

TX Chef Fran
Old 03-30-2005, 09:40 AM
Nine Year Member

I think for medical billing there are courses that you need to take to learn the lingo, etc. But you could talk to your doctor, dentist, accountant, etc. to see if they use periodic office help or if they know someone that is in the need of outsourcing some office work.

I've been with Avon Products for 9 yrs during that time had two children. I love the flexiblity Avon gives me to be there for family and to help out at school.

Roberta
Old 04-10-2005, 12:35 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

An important point was brought up about believing in what you sell, if you are going into Direct Sales (AKA party plans, home party companies). If you don't have faith in the company and the product, there is no way you can successfully sell it. You have to show your enthusiam for your product(s). If a potential customer sees how happy you are with it, then they'll want to try as well.

But be careful.. there are so many DS companies out there now. I tend to stay away from any that are new, as DS companies go under very quickly. Mainly it seems like the coffee/goodies type businesses and also the candle businesses that go under quickly. So do your research before joining.

A good place to look if you are interested in joining a DS company is the Direct Sales Association. Their listing of members is: http://www.dsa.org/directory/index.c...CompanyResults