Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

General Advice Avoid work at home scams, researching legitimate companies, general questions about making money, etc

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.67 average.
Old 07-12-2002, 06:38 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

work at home

I found a job I can do at home and be with my kids and not pay out a fortune in daycare. I dont have to stock anything, or have home parties and I hopefully want to set up a retirement account for my husband and I. I am curious about childcare in your home. Is there a lot of paperwork to be licensed? Or do you even have to be licensed for just a couple of kids? I have thought about that just for companionship for the kids to play with.
Old 07-12-2002, 11:12 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I watch 2 other kids during the day, and I am not registered. I know that in Oregon you do not have to be registered if you only watch a couple kids. If you plan on running a daycare..which I believe to be defined as having more than 3 kids...you must be registered and go through several qualifying tests. These tests include criminal backgrounds, tests on safety, CPR and a few other things. I had started the tests, but decided it was to much. I have 3 kids of my own, and 2 home business' so if I were to run a daycare I would have at least 6 kids in my house.

I'm not sure what other states laws are, but that is what they say in Oregon.

Good luck!

Kim
Old 11-19-2002, 02:49 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

There are soooo many excellent ideas out there for work at home! Unfortunately I had to go through scam after scam until I finally find a legitimate, money-back guaranteed home biz. I definitely want to tell all of you searching for something to do from home, that you MUST make sure whatever you are doing is not a scam. I tried making earrings, and everything. You name it, I probably tried it, mlm, etc. It was awful and I think it is truly unfair the way people scam innocent mothers trying to stay home with their kids! Anyway, always remember if you keep your heart set on something you can do anything and you will find a way to make all your dreams come true, this is America, the land of opportunity. Just make sure you find the legitimate ones before wasting money like I did! Research everything!
Old 11-19-2002, 06:02 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

working from home

Do your research for sure. I'm amazed by how many different opportunities are out there. It's wonderful to work from home! But you also need to make sure of any inventory or stock that might be required as well from work at home opportunities. I've been in direct sells for 3 years now. I'm a stay at home mom. But also, my husband works night shift, therefore I needed to find a flexible business opportunity to work more with my family needs. Meaning what is the requirement of how many home shows, sales quotas, etc are required. And investment costs?
Find something you enjoy, a product you like and would enjoy to have as a business from home.
I'm celebrating my second anniversary very soon with a local company that was started by a stay at home mom just minutes from me. This has been great being a local based product/company. And now I just recently added another biz, based for kids id cards and kits. Also started by a stay at home mom! I'd be happy to chat with anyone that is having questions or concerns about working from home. It's rewarding and it can also be "work" at times too!!
Best wishes

[edited by moderator]
Old 03-06-2003, 12:07 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Work at Home Resources

I haven't been here in awhile, but wanted to share a page I put together. For awhile I've been working on compiling a list of resources I use or I think are useful for those interested in working at home. Lately, I've been talking to A LOT of people about them. For instance, how did I set up my toll free number, how do I keep track of my customers, where can I get good business cards, etc. Check out:

http://www.cafewed.com/WAHlinks.htm

There's also info on freelancing, telecommuting and direct sales. It's a work in progress, so let me know if anything isn't linked properly.
Old 07-03-2003, 02:47 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Working from Home

I just kind of fell into my at home job. It is something I never thought I could do but I enjoy it and it's benefits. You really have to want it to work no matter what. I want to make this work for myself and my children. I have a creative mind so it is fun to think up different things and I can still stay home with my kids.

{Edited by Moderator}

www.athome.com/suedaly
Old 07-03-2003, 03:08 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

blushing You're right!

You're right it is great fun to home with the kids. What I do does not take away alot of my time from the kids which is good. Yet I am still bringing home some money. My husband likes that. Hahaha. Working from home is like anything you only get out of it what you put in. You know if there is no work involved it is probably a scam. Nothing in life is free!! If only!
Rachel
Old 07-03-2003, 09:38 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I kind of fell into my biz too. Friends inherited some vending machines then got bored of it---in steps me! Stock up on candy at Sams then make my run once a week. Its not a get rich quick thing but certainly pays the food bills. Can't beat working once a week. Only drawback is all the goodies laying around the house-very tempting!!!
Old 07-03-2003, 10:06 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

No candy for me

I could not do that there would be more candy in me than in the machine. Hahaha. It does seem like a good job. Not long ago my husband saw some for sale in our local paper and suggested we should buy. I am trying to lose my baby fat so I didn't think that would be a good idea.
Rachel
Old 07-05-2003, 10:36 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

In the beginning it was REALLY tempting, now mostly I just look at it and its no big deal. You certainly can have too much then its no longer so appealing. I do allow myself one goody on the way home when the route is done-try to limit myself to something that isn't selling too well that week.
I think its worse for the kids who always want a snack. I now keep everything on shelves in the basement laundry room. Out of sight you know .