Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

General Advice Avoid work at home scams, researching legitimate companies, general questions about making money, etc

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.67 average.
Old 04-29-2002, 08:05 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Home business

I opened a home business 1 1/2 years ago. It works for me, my 2 kids are both in school all day except wed is 1/2 for my girl and so I have my own schedule all to myself. Actually it was a freind of mine who got me started. I had been making cadies for years giving them away to friends, family, sports events of my kids and the like. A friend tried some of my stuff and shes like market this stuff. I was like no I dont know how with her help and researching online businesses here I am. Do you like to bake? From searching the web I've found all kinds of sites about mothers who started a cookie business, or a jam busines, craft businesses. If you like to do any of those things, check with your town office or city building to see if you can have a permit to run a business out of your home. My business is mostly mail order from my web site online. I didnt need parking permitts, or extra lighting or signs outside my home. I have a small sign in the window for the customers which are by appointment only. I wish you much luck.
Old 04-29-2002, 03:07 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

JCH, what kind of advice can you give to me as I make alot of gourmet and not so gourmet candies? I have 3 children and I know I can make this into a business.

My staples are Pralines, Caramels, Spiced Nuts, Divinity, Truffles, Chocolate Covered Bon-Bons, and Fudges.

What sites did you get your info from and any help you can offer will be appreciated!!
Old 04-29-2002, 09:24 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

HTML tutorial

This is an old tutorial, but it will really help you learn the basics of html. Once you get the basics, the rest is much easier! The thing I like best about this tutorial is it is much like an open book test in school. You can use the previous pages to go back and see how to do the exercise, but you cannot move forward to the next chapter until you complete and pass all the quizzes in the chapter before it.

This is the tutorial I learned HTML with when I started this site in 1998 Hope it helps!
http://www.cwru.edu/help/introHTML/toc.html

Quote:
Originally posted by mom2threeboys
Do you know where I can get some EASY TO UNDERSTAND help for html??
Old 05-07-2002, 01:54 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

legit at home job

Hi Jenn,
I am currently a at home mom and I did find a legit at home biz. I tryed quite a few things last summer before finding this one and it really is the best at home biz I have found. I do not have to sell, telemarket, or buy anything in bulk or have home parties. I tryed home parties before and it was not for me. Anyway I work on my computer I do not have to pay $100's of dollars to run my biz or invest anything.
Lillian
Old 05-10-2002, 05:56 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I would love to work from home using my computer. However several things I have seen you have to put money out before doing and I do not like that idea.

Hopefully one day (or year in my case) I just might find something to suite me.
Old 05-10-2002, 07:42 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Yes, there are a lot of things out there that you have to watch out for, but you have to remember....a work at home job is different from a home based business. With a work at home job there should be NO fee to get started. With a home based business, you should expect some fee.

Good luck in your search!!

Kim
Old 05-29-2002, 09:37 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

WORK AT HOME......

DEAR JENNZ.....

I AM CURRANTLY A STAY AT HOME MOM......I JUST RESENTLY HAD A
BEAUTIFUL BABY BOY(AGE 7 WEEKS) AND I ALSO HAVE A FOUR
YEAR OLD DAUGHTER...I WAS ABLE TO STAY AT HOME WITH HER
SINCE SHE WAS BORN AND I WOULD HAVE NEVER MISSED IT FOR
THE WORLD.......BUT NOW THAT WE HAVE TWO CHILDREN WE
NEED MORE OF AN INCOME SO I OPENED A DAY HOME IN MY
HOUSE. I FIND THIS VERY REWARDING BECAUSE NOT ONLY DO I GET TO STAY AT HOME WITH MY NEW BABY...I GET TO SPEND TIME
WITH MY DAUGHTER...SHE HAS FRIENDS TO PLAY WITH...and.....I MAKE MONEY !!!! (LOL)

LEARN TO WRITE YOUR HURTS IN THE SAND, AND TO CARVE YOUR BENEFITS IN STONE

Last edited by emajmom; 05-29-2002 at 09:42 AM.
Old 06-04-2002, 08:04 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Ideas for Making Money from Home

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this board. I was laid off last year and am interested if any stay-at-home parents do any kind of work from home. I'm not talking about MLM, and am definitely not soliciting things like that. I want real ideas of what people do to make some extra money from home.

Right now, I have a friend overseas, and she's going to send me some specialty clothing to sell over here. I'm buying it, and then selling it here. I haven't started it yet but it's almost ready.

My husband works at festivals/fairs over weekends selling food. He works with others right now, but would like to get his own equipment so he can work for himself on weekends.

Does anyone do things like this? I'd love to hear.
Old 06-05-2002, 06:06 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

blushing

we all have so much in common...wanting to stay at home with our kids! and we all agree we dont want to spend the money for the false companies that make us scream at the end. I too am looking for something, my husband is an OTR driver and I would love to have him home more but we cant afford it. I would love any ideas. you can email me info also... [email protected] Thanks..... I love this site! I am new to doing this computer stuff. This has been a blast looking at all the different topics and seeing everyone share ideas... Way to go!!
Old 06-05-2002, 08:07 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Stargazer and Regina,
There's lots to be done at home! Sounds like you are launching a retail business with your friends goods from overseas. Can you sell them at the fairs your dh works at? If you enjoy retail, you could do that. I have a wedding retail business, selling wedding attire through Discount Bridal Service and other wedding related items. I've also incorporated a direct sales company's products into my offerings. If you'd like info, just pm me and I'll gladly share.

There are many WAH Freelancers in web and graphic design, as well as writing. Many photographers, artists, caterers, seamstresses, accountants, childcare workers and craftspeople work out of home.

Oh....read in Time or Newsweek that JetBlue has an entire reservation taking force that all work out of home! It seemed really innovative to me. http://www.jetblue.com/

Can you be a consultant in any field?

What are your interests? What industries do you have prior experience in?

Last edited by HOMEWriter; 06-07-2002 at 02:28 PM.