Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Relationships > Family & Friends > Extended Family > Geneology

Old 05-14-2018, 07:07 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

DNA-anyone test theirs yet??

Been working hard on my husband's genealogy.. finally have been able to start a tree for him.. based on his DNA matches..
my mother-in-law totally lied about who his birth parents were and where they came from, so we've been looking in the wrong direction since 1996... thing is, the names she gave us.. at least for the birth mom, is a real person-so they must have known each other, but so far the woman appears to not have anything to do with Jim's birth..
Now, Jim did FamilyTree DNA 2 years ago and before Christmas last year he got a close relative/1st cousin match.. before that it was all 3rd/4th cousins +.. he's now also showing two 2nd cousin matches..
Anyway, I told Jim that his 1st cousin match was probably, at least, a half sibling and that is now appearing to be correct.. This guy is also adopted, on the west coast-Jim was adopted on the east coast. the match has found two half brothers in the past few months and is linked with one on FB and they have even visited each other.. not Jim.. He has received pictures of their birth dad and shared those pictures with me and Jim, they are the spitting image of Jim.. So now it appears that Jim probably has 3 half brothers..
Now if we can just locate info on his birth mom.. I've been able to fill out a family tree from the dad's side of the family and have gone to gggrands on the dad's maternal side and to ggrands on the paternal side. There is a 3rd cousin match who was thinking that one of his aunts (his fathers sister) might be Jim's birth mom, but she's deceased and there is no proof to that yet.. BUT, he has some of the names I found in the tree he shared with me.. so he's going to start digging a bit and see what he can find...
This is all very exciting.

Also gave Jim a DNA test from 23andme for Christmas, did the health part too.. Been a little disappointed with that test though.. no real matches and the health info was mainly generalities, nothing specific. But I'm still glad to have done it.. never know where a good match will come from..

I tested my DNA too, Nothing earth shattering.. my sister did hers and it's nice to know that we are close relatives

take care all,
Pam