Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 07-01-2005, 04:58 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by farfuhr
I use PAF. It's a free program to download or a nominal fee for a CD of it. I get started on a line at familysearch.org Then I head to my local family history library and get more info. The LDS church has subscriptions to many of the websites out there. Between them, the free sites, and a close friend of mine who gets her mom and in-laws to pay for other sites, I have a lot of resources. MIL has sent off for the social security application for the lady she's been looking for. We're hoping to find out something more than what we already know.

I'm going to try the ancestorhunt, I haven't heard of it yet. Very funny about Lady Godiva.
I went to lds.org and found ancestorhunt there. I wish I was as dedicated as you are in doing my geneology, but I have 2 sisters who have put many of hours into it and a cousin who never married but she and her mother put countless hours into geneology and got one line completed to Adam. When I feel like I have the time and energy to devote to it, I am going to do my own research on that line and others. Living in Utah for almost my entire life and being LDS, I am related to some promenant LDS people including President Gordon B. Hinckley and one of his councilors James Faust.
Old 07-01-2005, 06:13 PM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Outer Space

Oh, I know I come from outerspace Pam.

Believe me, I am not perfect. I get to do work on the lines maybe every other week. But when I do, wow, it goes quick. It's like the 90% of the brain that we don't use has everything stored in it and is spitting out at once. I'm also the only one in my family who is doing this. I know I get help from others that I can't see.

Pam, do you have a scanner? If so, start scanning. Yes, you do need to do something with the paper copies. But if they aren't accessible and easy to go through, you won't. DH, Nate, wants to start a business helping people organize their work.

I believe there are multiple areas to geneology. One is the research. Years ago, my mom had a calling in the Church as a name extractor. She would take the photo copies of documents and what not and decipher them as best she could and submit them. That was research. Today, it's getting on the internet and following our instincts and finding the names and putting them together where they fit. Another is helping the researchers. Things like rides or watching kids or just listening to the frustating and good things. Another is organization. Nate is good at helping with that. And the last is doing something with those names. We need to learn and pass stories on, this is something for others to do.

I do include all people. Everyone is connected. Pam's cousin went back to Adam. Well, say 75% of people did that. Most everyone would get included. But not all. There would be someone, somewhere that would be missed. I don't want to be responsible for that. It would break my heart to know that I intentionally skipped someone. Plus, there are only so many direct lines. Once those are found, you still need to keep working.

I'm really excited that there are others out there doing some of what I do. Thanks for reading and posting.

"If you can't convince them, confuse them."

Harry S Truman

Old 07-02-2005, 06:47 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I have posted messages with the names of my ancestors that I am searching on www.GenForum.com. I have gained info from 2 new cousins and my husband's aunt who I have never met....all found thru the forum. It does take a lot of time but I have many different directions of family tree to work on that I never am bored with it.
E-Ma to 3

Look to the future, because that is where you'll spend the rest of your life. ~ George Burns ~
Old 07-02-2005, 11:34 AM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Janelle,

I have been researching for many years. I hit a block wall for 4 years on my maternal ggrandfather. His parents died when he was a young boy & never really told his kids any info on his family. One very late night on rootsweb I found a connection to the state he was from & then it broke down to his county of birth. Once in there I found a family name that his daughter had told me about that had taken him & little brother in to raise. Looking through thier list of ancestor's I found a girl with a different speeling but same last name of ggf. So I kept looking through site. Finally found people who would look up census records for me. I found him & whole family along with parents names, ages & birthplaces(states). I called my gaunt & told her, she never heard of most of her aunts & uncles. She new of 1 aunt & 2 uncles & that was it. Turns out there were 3 sisters & 3 brothers. I even got his gmothers name & doing more research I found them on another set of census records(his father & his gmother). I kind of took a break from it for awhile, but am ready to get back into it now. I really need to go back through my fiiles & organize everything again & repeint out my forms with all the updated & corrected info on them.
the really funny thing is that my momther's maiden name is Davis, well her mother's mother's family name is Davis also & lived in the same areas in Mo & Ar. I keep telling her one day they are going to join up toghether. I think it is funny she does not.
Do not give up like I said I hit a brick wall for 4 years on him & now there is a bigger hole in that wall.
Old 07-06-2005, 06:24 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Space to do my hunting

I have none......I only do this between May to Sept because I don't have the room...right now my bedroom and kitchen table are a mess.....I have folders, binders, shoe boxes...photo albums...I just don't know what to do with it while I'm working on it....
any ideas would be appreciated
christy
Old 07-06-2005, 05:01 PM
Nine Year Member

Christy-I basically put all my info in different folders and notebooks-while I'm working on it, each surname has a different folder and notebook. If you don't have a filing cabinet you can get the cardboard boxes for hanging files and label them for each side of the family and add to them as your stored info increases.
As much as I like putting everything in the computer, I still have it all on paper.
I have a few piles I need to file but I don't know when I'll get to it.
I like to research with a partner-when I go to the library or the courthouse, but generally I work on it all by myself.
I'm planning on putting together a pamphlet/book on each side of my family. There's one on my mom's side from 1957, but it doesn't really include my mom's immediate family-just her dad and his families before he married her mom.
I haven't found any books on my dad's side of the family yet.
Old 07-10-2005, 08:32 PM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

It's great that you have paper copies of everything. That's what I'm trying to do right now. I have everything on the computer and nothing on paper. It's a goal to get it all taken care of this summer. I hope that everyone's search is going well.

Harry S Truman

Old 07-11-2005, 07:04 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Janelle,

My start with genealogy started last year when my son had to do a school project on his ancestry. He, of course, picked his father's side of the family -- about which I knew almost nothing, due to the fact of our divorcing when he was 3.

I contacted my ex's mom & got some info from her; then started with some of the websites listed already here on these posts. I was able to trace it back to when his ancestors came from Poland to America, but was stopped there. I don't know what part of Polish Germany/Prussia he was from and the boundaries of the countries changed so much in the past, that's its hard to make a guess.

I was able to do a lot of work on the maternal side due to the fact that older people were still alive in the family that knew family members several generations back. But all this I did for free.

Just recently, I decided to subscribe to Ancestry.com to research my own family. I know it's a lot of money (at least to me it is), but I also recently got a monetary bonus I didn't know about until the last min, so it's money that I wouldn't have had anyway...easier not to miss it that way. So I'm in the process of researching all sides and threads of my family & my husband's, as well as my son's.

I've started by using a 3-ring binder and notebook paper with dividers for each family surname. I write on the divider the names belonging to that paternal surname: for instance, my name, my mother's and my father's and his father, etc. would be on one divider. My mother's maiden name would belong on the divider with her father and his father, etc. This 3-ring binder also zips around all the open sides, so it holds extra papers.

My only problem is that once I get onto Ancestry.com and get started looking for someone, I lose track of time and, next thing I know, it's 3 am!

Charlene, mother to five

When God closes a door, somewhere he opens a window.
Old 07-12-2005, 01:06 PM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Time flys when you're having fun

Charlene,

I really do understand about the time flying. It's addictive and engrossing work isn't it?

I have heard a lot lately about the 3-ring binders. It's a very good and easy way to keep things organized. I'm investing in a couple of those in 2 weeks and I already have an abundance of page protectors. Nate (DH) is beginning to put together things to start a business to organize peoples documents in regards to geneology. I've also seen a lot of office boxes, the kind with lids, used to help keep things straight. One per family or line or time period, however it is that you need it.

Does anyone have any great stories like momofjems Lady Godiva story? Why don't we share them and help inspire one another.

Hope everyone's doing well today.

Harry S Truman

Old 07-12-2005, 01:44 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I have a few of those, but not the paperwork to substantiate them.

1) One of my son's ancestors (a g-uncle or gg-uncle) used to play with John Dillenger's son.
2) Somewhere down the line of my ex-husband's ancestry they are related to Ben Franklin. The paperwork for this was destroyed by a crazy aunt decades ago.
3) My husband is supposed to be related to someone famous, but I can't remember who.
4) There's a family secret in my family that no one will talk about. There's only 2 people left alive right now that know about it...I wish they'd talk with me. It's not fair to the descendants not to include things about the family. We (myself & a cousin) suspect it has something to do with an Indian or two in the family, but we haven't yet found out anything. In fact, he went to the local tribes and researched it from that side, so our suppositions may be nothing.

I'll let you know more when I find out anything!

Charlene, mother to five

When God closes a door, somewhere he opens a window.