Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 06-21-2004, 11:25 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Question How do I get started

I would love to start researching my dh's ancestory...our last name is VERY common and I would like him to be able to know more about his origins

Is there anyone out there with some geneology experience...how do I get started? What do I need? Is it hard?

Help me

Sandra

Old 07-02-2004, 12:23 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I too am wanting to research my history. I went to

www.ancestry.com

they give you a free trial, but then it costs $99.95. Don't let them charge you. They charged me even though I cancelled and it took me 2 months to get my money back.
But I wonder if you could try your local library. I'm sure they have the ability to tell you where you could start and hopefully even there.
Best of luck

Old 07-03-2004, 06:21 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Family History

I have been doing this for awhile now with great success. Through my research I was able to become a member of First Families of my County and State (had to prove my family were amoung the first to settle in our County and State. I also became a member of Daughters of the American Revolution, (proved I had a direct descendent that fought in the Revolutionary War).

My suggestion is to work backward from your husband using birth and death certificates (all public records). You can find them through Court Houses or Health Departments in the county you husband was born.
Go to any cemetaries your husband knows he has family in, take photos of tombstones or if it is old and hard to read, spray water on it or place paper on it and rub with a pencil to bring the lettering out.

I don't like getting involved with those sites that offer records and charge for them. They still need to be proved by certificates. When you start your investigations you may come across a relative that has already done the searching.
Also contact a local Geneology Society in the county your husband was born in. They do not usually charge much and have great resources.

Be careful it is addictive, ask my husband he will tell you about my files and files of information. But it is fun and you will enjoy the people you meet.

Have fun!
Old 07-03-2004, 08:14 PM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Geneology

A great place to get assistance with Geneology is at your Church of Jesus Christ of Latterday Saints, (aka...Mormon!!) They have many records of family history. Our Family is LDS and we have been able to trace back a very long way. The even have people at the church who will help if you would like!
Old 07-03-2004, 10:37 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Thanks Girls;-) You have given me some great places to get started. I hope to be starting soon...I would like to give my dh something with this theme for Christmas.

Sandra

Old 07-04-2004, 09:57 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

The other poster was right about it being addictive!!! My DH says I spend more time looking for dead people than the living!!!I did sign up for the ancestry .com , b/cause all my relatives are hundreds of miles away & no way to visit court houses or their

local librarys . & have really got alot of info but you can get alot on your own. I did get DH to drive me about 800 miles to visit a cemetery , that the office said they had a record for only to find that they had the name but there was no grave stone (with

dates) to be found & was told they didn't keep good records back then. But met with a distant 'family relative' ,our GGrandmothers were sisters, & had a very enjoyable time! They had some more info for me to add to my 'family'. You can find some of

the 'cousins' & maybe they have alot of info that maybe your side may not have had or little tid -bits of info to interest you also. Like another poster mentioned start with your DH & go back, & don't forget the Aunt & Uncles, & cousins.

Like some say VERY ADDICTIVE!!!
Old 07-05-2004, 07:47 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Ok here is a question. My biological father has never reconized me. I would have loved to meet him but after only contacting me one time he never tried again. All I have on this man is his first name, middle inital and last name.

JOSEPH L. HALL

I know I have other brothers and sisters, nieces and nephews and that he resides in Connellsville, Pennsylvania. I know he has a brother SAMUEL HALL who resides in Washington, Pennsylvania where I was born.

I don't want to disrupt his family...it is obvious he wants nothing to do with me. Can't blame him considering the circumstances in which I came about.

I just want to know who I am
Thoughts, ideas, can someone help me???

PS: I may have made a mistake by posting personal information but I did this in hopes and praying that maybe someone in my family will see this (brother/sister/ niece or nephew/aunt or uncle) and contact me. It is a long shot but I serve a BIG God!

Admit your mistakes so that NO ONE else can exaggerate them
You can NOT amputate your HISTORY from your DESTINY~ Beth Moore

Last edited by Irish Angel; 07-05-2004 at 07:50 PM.
Old 07-05-2004, 08:00 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

morelia...I will pray that you find some answers about your past...You are so right...our GOD is so GREAT and our GOD is so MIGHTY...there's nothing our GOD cannot do!!!

Sandra

Old 07-05-2004, 08:08 PM
Nine Year Member

Quote:
Originally posted by morelia92
Ok here is a question. My biological father has never reconized me. I would have loved to meet him but after only contacting me one time he never tried again. All I have on this man is his first name, middle inital and last name.

JOSEPH L. HALL

I know I have other brothers and sisters, nieces and nephews and that he resides in Connellsville, Pennsylvania. I know he has a brother SAMUEL HALL who resides in Washington, Pennsylvania where I was born.

morelia92... Checked on http://www.anywho.com found there are over thirty three people with the name of Hall that live in that town. Shows the address and telephone number of each one. Looks like it is a big family.
How long ago did you hear from him. Are you sure he is still alive?
If it is not to far from you would be worth a visit to check things out.
______
Sueanne

Old 07-05-2004, 09:11 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Sueanne is right !! Try to get phone nos. & call & ask questions about the family, if they know of the person or can direct you to someone who may know. Some people I have called have been very helpful . Tell them you are searching your family & would like to know if they have any info. You can go to yahoo & check the white pages for names & addresses & phone nos. too.
Good luck on your search!