Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Old 04-23-2009, 04:33 AM
Two Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Question Looking For Help

I have just decided to start my first vegetable garden this year. I have started all of my plants indoors in my small greenhouse. I have tomatos, carrots, jalepenos, peppers, lettuce, cucumbers, peas, and radishes. If anyone has any advice on planting these outdoors I would like to know. I am planning on doing this organically as well, all plants are certified organic seeds and have been started indoors in organic potting soil. Thanks
Old 04-23-2009, 06:35 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

A lot depends on where you live and when your normal last frost date is as to when you should transplant outdoors.
I normally sow seed for lettuce, carrots, radishes and peas outdoors about now ( I live in Iowa). These plants take cold weather better when getting established, but can freeze.
Tomatoes, cucmbers and peppers like warmer conditions when planting outdoors. I am waiting at least two weeks yet to plant anything like that. I also recommend that you cover these plants for the first couple of weeks to help them get established. You can use plastic milk jugs with the bottoms cut out, large tin cans or anything that will provide some protection. The tops of the milk jugs may need to be cut open more so plants do not get too warm.
When transplanting single plants from a pot it is best not to disturb the roots anymore than neccessary. Loosen the dirt in the pot by gentle taping the pot and gentle slide the plant out with as much dirt as you can. Handle the plant by the root / dirt and not the stem to avoid breaking the plant. For plants sown in trays, loosen dirt and gently seperate the plants holding them close to the root. Plant them according to the package directions for spacing of thined plants. Everything, but tomatoes should be planted at the same depth that are now growing. Tomatoes can be planted deeper and will grow roots along the planted stem giving you a good foundation for your plant. Gently pinch off any leaves that will below ground before planting. I also recommed that you stake your tomatoes as they grow or use tomato cages. I use cut up old pantyhose to tie my tomatoes to the stake. They are soft and will not damage the stem and yet will hold it to the stake all summer.
If you have any questions, just ask. I won't promise I can answer everything, but I have been gardening for 28 years and have learned a lot the hard way.
Old 04-24-2009, 07:48 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Contact your local Cooperative Extension office, they can give you lots of sound advice. Usually listed under your county.
Old 04-24-2009, 03:12 PM
Nine Year Member

I know seeds you can plant a couple weeks before the frost date but plants I wait until the last frost date in my area which is mid May.

Roberta