Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Old 09-10-2008, 06:15 PM

Free Bird Seed For Our Feathered Friends

As some of you may have seen from "Tip of the week" I grew giant sunflowers this year. It was very easy and Wow! did I ever get alot of sunflowers. I am busy now collecting the seeds to replant for next year and also saving seeds to feed the birds this winter. They have been having a grand time this summer eating the seeds, the bees loved the pollen and there is still tons of seeds coming on. So next spring if you can find a out of the way spot to plant these it's a nice natural and frugal way to feed our feathered friends.

Anna
Old 09-11-2008, 07:55 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Anna, that sounds like a great idea. But how did you keep the birds from eating up all the seeds before you "harvested" the sunflower head?
Old 09-11-2008, 08:55 AM

Barbzy

On these giant sunflowers, the seeds come on gradually in fact I'm still waiting on some to finish "flowering" the birds have been happily munching on them for over 6-7 weeks and there are still tons of seeds still on or coming on. I stood in the kitchen door this morning and watched a red cardinal, some little sparrows and the odd bird I can't figure out what he is but he is brown with a feathered crown?? all eating the sunflowers. I cut two heads down today that had been eaten on for quite awhile and took a fork and brushed out the rest of the seeds. It filled a pretty good sized canister. Also a couple small spiders and a wiggly bug in there AcK! I think they must have thought the sunflower would be a good winter hideway.

I should mention when I say "flowering" each seed in the big sunflower has a little bulb like thing that once it opens the seed pops out. So while the actual pretty yellow flower is gone now, the seeds are still developing on alot of mine. I planted 3 seeds per hole when I planted and I got lucky LOL! they all grew so it's like a thick forest of sunflowers in the spot I planted them.

Anna

Last edited by AnnaInOhio; 09-11-2008 at 08:58 AM.
Old 09-11-2008, 09:00 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

That's cool!! I have a good, sunny spot where they could go, so I think I will assign DD to plant some of these next spring. Unfortunately we won't get to do any bird-watching with them in that spot, but it is out of the way and in full sun for most of the day.
Old 09-11-2008, 09:07 AM

I plan on planting alot more next year as they were so much fun to watch them grow this year and the birdies all love it. I plan to leave the stalks up till next spring and then use them in the garden. I was thinking this morning too that 3 of the stalks tied together t-pee style would be great for decorating for halloween too.

Oh and also I would think they would be safe to feed pigs too for those who have farms.

Anna
Old 09-11-2008, 12:30 PM
Nine Year Member

OSI....Next year I will find a spot for sunflowers too. Planted together they are eye catching. There are so many varieties will check which is best for Florida. I see where even bees are attracked to this flower.
Have you tried grinding any for baking?
_______
Sueanne
Attached Images

Old 09-11-2008, 12:34 PM

Sueanne

You mean after shelling them? No.. but they do taste wonderful just eating them plain out of the shell.

Anna
Old 09-12-2008, 03:28 AM
Three Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Anna your sunflowers sound great have you ever grown the smaller ones? I would like to try some of them.
Darlene
Old 09-12-2008, 03:52 AM

Darlene

No this was the first year I have ever grown sunflowers at all. My neighbor has the small ones, they are so pretty. Hers bloomed alot later than mine did and seem to last longer with the flowers. I'm not sure when she planted them or if they were returns from last year.

Anna