Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Gardening With Children Kids love to plant and dig in the garden. Do your children enjoy the outdoors with you?

Old 03-31-2006, 08:25 PM

Gardening with the Kids

Anybody have any gardening plans for their kids? My girls are looking forward to getting in the dirt. And they love to water the flowers. Maddie wants her own tomato plant again. Miriam just likes to get dirty.

Coll
Old 04-10-2006, 08:45 AM
Nine Year Member

I just finished tilling my garden this morning, second try at it as I got rained out the frist try.

I plant tomatoes 3 kinds 3 plants each, bell peppers, green beans, peas, lima beans.

I've never had luck with radishes, carrots, corn, cabbage, turnips (get bug eaten).

DH doesn't like leaf lettuce I need to see if there is some other kind that will grow in my area.

My kids like to water, play in the dirt and pick the veggies but not any of the planting or weeding.

Roberta
Old 04-10-2006, 06:51 PM
Nine Year Member

One of the sweetest things I ever saw for a kids garden (martha stewart or mary englebreit or good housekeeping magazine?) was a 'tent' made of bean poles tied at the top, when the beans climb up the poles and spread out they make a little teepee house. Be sure to tie the poles so there is a wider space between two of them to make a front 'door.'

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."
Old 04-11-2006, 05:43 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I work with 4-H in North Carolina, we hold a kids gardening contest each year. Where they plant a small garden 10x10 with flowers or vegetables they take care of it (lessons included if needed) and at the end they are scored on how well they did, what they learned. We even provided the vegetble plants/seeds for the vegetable gardens. The kids learned a lot, enjoyed it and had a chance to share and possibly win a prize and award. It is a great program check with your local cooperative extension office. We even had some local land donated for spots for city/urban kids who might not have the space at their houses so that they could go there and take care of their gardens. We had a lot of takers.
Old 06-22-2006, 11:39 AM
FamilyCorner Admirer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenmelon
One of the sweetest things I ever saw for a kids garden (martha stewart or mary englebreit or good housekeeping magazine?) was a 'tent' made of bean poles tied at the top, when the beans climb up the poles and spread out they make a little teepee house. Be sure to tie the poles so there is a wider space between two of them to make a front 'door.'
That is a wonderful idea (I'm going to google it now). I saw a great idea in Chatelaine, weaving a tent. The walls are made of long sticks (maybe from your Spring pruning) and then the kids weave long weeds, or grass, twigs through to fill the walls in all summer. Unfortunately I read about this AFTER I had disposed of all my pruning. Next year's idea, then!
Jo-Anne

Old 07-25-2006, 09:50 AM

Maddie has a bunch of tomatoes on her plant. She checks it every morning and waters it every evening.
She is so excited that soon she'll be able to pick a red tomato and eat it.

Coll
Old 07-25-2006, 09:52 AM

Deidra, That idea for the garden contest is really neat.
I think everyone should win a prize though, like a t-shirt that says I grew my own garden or a pair of gardening gloves. That way no one feels bad and maybe will keep them interested for the next year.

Coll
Old 07-25-2006, 10:40 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Check out this cool site for more neat ideas to do with kids, we do a variety of different gardening things with kids all year round and some of our ideas I have gotten off of this website. http://www.kidsgardening.com/
Old 08-07-2006, 06:33 PM
Five Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

That's a great site, Deidra. I love gardening with the kids because it's so educational. They learn how and why things grow, get to eat good food, be outside, contribute to the family and it's cheap, too!
Old 08-07-2006, 07:33 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenmelon
I found these ideas while looking for things to do with my kids. They might be too far along for this years garden though...... The "teepee" idea is here too!

CUCUMBER IN A BOTTLE
Nothing says "summer" like fresh cucumbers from the garden. You can also grow them vertically in a pot if you live in an apartment. Let them climb up wooden poles or chicken wire. As your cucumbers start to grow, show the kids a time honored trick... the cuke in a bottle.

What you'll need:
* cucumber seeds or 3-4 cucumber starts
* garden soil or pot and potting soil
* 12oz or plastic liter soda bottle with cap
* vinegar

Plant your seeds or start in a sunny area and keep watered. When the tiny cucumbers appear, choose one at the base of the plant (it needs to be shadier so the cuke won't cook in the sun). Carefully slip the baby cucumber into the plastic bottle. Save your bottle cap, don't lose it! Keep your bottle partially shaded with newspaper or burlap. When the cucumber fills the bottle, snip the stem. Fill your bottle with vinegar (this will make it last longer) and put on the cap. Keep it in your fridge. Don't try to eat it, it is just for show and tell. Bring it out to amaze your friends and family and they'll ask "How did you DO that?"

BEAN POLE TEEPEE
Remember how you used to love to find a quiet "secret spot" when you were a kid? A place to think or read or share time with a friend? Bean pole teepees are a great way to grow delicious green beans AND provide your child with a little, shady, summertime fort.

What you'll need:
*8 - 6 foot or longer wooden garden stakes
*package of pole bean seeds
*(Kentucky Wonders work great)
*garden twine
*patch of ground

Take four of the garden stakes and pound into the ground in a large circle. Bring the tops of the stakes together and bind with twine. This should resemble a teepee. Plant bean seeds according to package directions but leave a portion between two of the stakes unplanted. This will leave a "door" into the teepee without crushing the beans. Repeat this with the other four stakes about 4 feet away. Keep the seeds moist until they germinate. Help train the beans to climb by wrapping them around the stakes. Soon you will have a cool, leafy and delicious place to visit on a hot, summer day.

SALAD IN A POT
Short on time and space? How about growing a salad in a pot?

What you need:
* large plastic or clay pot with drainage holes
* potting soil
* lettuce seeds or starts
* tomato starts
*cucumber seeds or starts
* 2 - 4 foot garden stakes
* twine

Put your pot in a sunny spot and fill with soil. Pound both of your garden stakes into the back portion of the pot. Plant your cucumber seeds or starts at the base of one stake and your tomato plant at the base of the other. They will climb them vertically if you help them with a bit of twine. Plant your lettuce seeds or plants in the rest of the soil. Go ahead and crowd them in, it will look really neat and give you more lettuce to work with. The cucumber and tomato will continue to produce all summer. When your lettuce is gone, plant more and keep it going. Keep your pot nice and moist. Don't let it dry out. Now you will have fresh salad fixin's whenever you want. (Planting herbs in a pot works well too. Try herbs like sweet basil, chives, thyme and parsley.)

BUTTERFLY GARDENS
We all love to watch butterflies flutter by. Did you know that these beautiful insects have favorite flowers from which to sip? It's true. Here are a list of favorite flowers a butterfly would list if they could:
*Butterfly Flowers: Aster~Butterfly Bush ~ Butterfly Weed ~ Black-eyed Susans ~ Carrot ~ Coreopsis ~ Daylily ~ Dill ~ Goldenrod ~ Hibiscus ~ Lavendar ~ Lilac ~ Marigold ~ Milkweed ~ Purple Coneflower ~ Rosemary ~ Verbena ~ Yarrow

You can easily turn this into an educational way to teach the family about the different types of butterflies. Just get a butterfly identification book, plant your flowers and watch the magic.

*The Butterfly Book : An Easy Guide to Butterfly Gardening, Identification, and Behavior (or find others in the library).

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!