Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Gardening With Children Kids love to plant and dig in the garden. Do your children enjoy the outdoors with you?

Old 04-07-2002, 04:24 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Starting a new garden with Kids

Have any of you started a garden project with you kids? If so, how old were they when they started? Did they enjoy this time with you and nature? What items did you plant? My ds ate an apple the other day and wanted to run outdoors and plant the seed. He is 4. I am going to be starting a garden this year and thought I would look for some input.

Sue
Wife to Bob
Mom to 4
Old 04-07-2002, 04:54 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Years ago my dd saw an acorn and planted it in my mothers yard. It never did grow but since then she always wants to grow things.

Now I have the worst black thumb and nothing ever grows for me so I do not have a garden. Now I have tried but nothing ever came to pass. I do plant annuals and when I do, my daughter helps. SHe is 8 now but has been helping me since she was around 4 years old.

Now that I helped you any, but good luck in your garden.
Old 04-07-2002, 06:06 AM
FamilyCorner Admirer

I'm afraid I don't know too much either. This year will be my first garden!
But last year I had my dd then 4, plant a couple of sunflower seeds in a pot and she loved watching it grow! She was so excited too see it grow from seed too flower. And this year I have some vegetable seeds started in the house, and I let both kids help me dd 5 and ds 2 1/2. They help plant and cover the seeds, and watch anxiously every day too see what grows. Dd can't wait too eat the veggies she has planted! Of course we will see if she still wants too eat them when I put them on her plate!

Last edited by aubry; 04-07-2002 at 06:08 AM.
Old 04-26-2002, 04:01 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

This year we are having a "Garden Journal". I took a picture after we planted and am keeping track of when we've had rain, fertilized & tilled the garden. My sons are 6yr. (kindergarten), 3 yr. and 17 mo. (we just try to keep him from eating the dirt.) This is mainly for our 6yr. that I have decided to homeschool next year. I will put the pictures in the journal. And the seed packets. It's something we can go out and check on. I am doing this w/our flowers too. The garden is big. I let them pick out flowers and they will be responsible for watering and maybe pinching back, w/help. They like this so far. They think it is cool. We are very much outdoor/yard family.[/FONT]
Old 04-27-2002, 03:07 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

My3Sons, I to have decided to start a garden with my 5y/o ds. I just got the landscaping ties together today. He is very interested in how things grow. I thought I would be a great summer project with him.

Sue
Old 06-08-2002, 02:06 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

It's not a garden but rather a corner. My daughter and I planted sunflower seeds a while ago and they are coming up so nice, She is very excited to see what they turn out like.

I amsl planted some Hawaiian Plumerias and we are both watching and waiting for them to sprout. There are 3 colors and we are making bets on which is what color.
Old 06-08-2002, 04:42 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Ds and I planted flowers in a pot for his Teachers. It was a gift for the last day of school. He loved it. He has been helping in the garden and flower beds weeding. Doesn't mind taht either. Maybe I have a new gardener in the house.

Sue
Old 06-27-2002, 03:28 AM
The Original Coupon Queen
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Kids and Gardens

Kids will amaze you when it comes to this subject. Actually, they can begin to help and learn at any age. I am a 56 year old grandma, and have included my grandchildren with all phases of gardening. They love everything about it, including the weeding. You have your garden in already, but I found that by giving your child his/her own "space" to be very helpful. They are so proud of their "spot". If you have some extra footage, try giving your child some bean seeds to grow there. They are quick growers and easy to take care of. Only one rule for beans ~ NEVER TOUCH THEM WHEN THEY ARE WET. .....Because they will develope "brown spot".
Good Luck...
Old 02-21-2003, 09:32 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Grandson´s garden

Hi, I can tell you alittle about the garden I statr+ed with my grandson. He´s 5years old now but he was just 3 when he made his own garden here at my place.
I started with a square 3*3 meters and planted a fence of willow around. Then he made a small rockery, a kitchengarden with lettuce, carrots, radish and cornplants. I gave him some herbs too and the first year he even had his own strawberry-plants. I had to help him quite a lot as he wanted his garden to look as like mine as possible. Since then he have been sowing vegetables on his small spot every year. Hope you´ll have a great time with your kid in your garden.
Old 03-29-2003, 02:21 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

started our garden

My husband and my six year old started our garden about 4 weeks back....I just found this thread so thought I would add to it! We live in Florida so it has been warm here for several weeks now. I have never seen my 6yr old so excited as she was when she noticed that she had three tiny tomatos growing on her cherry tomato plant! This one is just hers! They have so many things planted...just to name a few....corn,radishes, broccoli, peas, beans, lettuce, potatoes, greens, also watermelon and cantalope! She helped pull up radihes the other day and she is a regular FARMER BROWN! My husband say she is working him to hard! *LOL* How have you all been doing? ~Pam.

I'm proud to be a Postcard Angel