Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Home & Garden > In the Garden

In the Garden Whether you plant a full fledged garden packed with veggies and flowers, or you grow tomatoes in a container on your patio, this is the place to chat.

Old 01-24-2016, 07:42 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Protecting Papaya Trees From Frost!

Busy yesterday covering my old Papaya tree that is larger & my new papaya that has less branches. Only did the bottoms because they are at least fifteen feet already. Wanted to save the bottom which are hollow inside and can cut the top off and it will survive. It will form new branches in the spring.
Today as I checked it out looked like the new growth was holding up and the papaya's look like they are ripening. The tarp did a good job holding in the heat with the top open sending heat to the ones above. With less leaves to feed the fruit will ripen faster like the figs do. Glad I still have plenty of papaya's on the tree that I can cut and ripen indoors.
_________
Sueanne
Attached Images

Old 01-07-2017, 05:33 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Protecting Papaya trees from the cold 2017

We are cooler a little earlier this year. Did what I could to cover part of the tree since it got taller and wider this year. Having two trees takes more work but they are worth it. Did cut about a dozen Papaya's just in case the tree freezes this year. I do freeze them sliced to use when the papaya stops producing. The fig tree lost all its leaves but still producing every day. The tree has about seventy figs that are not ripe yet. Will keep everyone posted what happens.
________
Sueanne
Attached Images

Old 12-09-2017, 05:29 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Protecting Papaya Trees from the cold Dec 2017

Cold weather came a little earlier this year so not taking chances with my two trees. Hopefully it will not last long and warm up again since there are still unripe fruit on the tree. Can eat them green cooked so will wait before picking.
________
Sueanne

Attached Images

Old 12-19-2017, 04:29 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Papaya and figs still producing with warmer temps.

Enjoying picking fruit this time of the year. Been freezing the figs in freezer bags for the leaner months to use in smoothies. Not bad for 20 yearold fig trees.
________
Sueanne

Attached Images

Old 01-07-2018, 06:28 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Papaya trees taking beating from the cold wave 2018

Glad I took some papaya's off before they got frozen to ripen in the porch.
The ones on are holding to ripen on the tree as long as the bottom part is covered warmly. When they ripen on the tree they are much more sweeter. Been eating them and adding to smoothies. Should ripen this week with the higher temperatures and no leaves to block the suns ripening process. Time will tell but they are worth the wait. Saved plenty of seeds to start new ones that give fruit in nine months.
________
Sueanne

Attached Images

Old 01-24-2018, 12:57 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Feeding my fruit trees veggie & fruit peels pureed.

Took the time after making a smoothie for breakfast to puree all the leftover peels & Papaya's that were damaged from the frost the other day.
Always add banana peels that I freeze in freezer bags to add to the puree mix for added nutrients. Add some pancake syrup too for a sugar boost to the trees.
Do mix it with half water into two separate containers to make it easier to feed to the trees. Hopefully will start seeing some results after the next rain we get to soak it to the roots. Been working the last couple of years so lets see what happens. Warmer weather is coming which is encouraging.
________
Sueanne

Old 02-13-2018, 06:01 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Busy today cutting back my papaya trees after the cold front we had last month. Been pretty warm this month setting records. Was 84* with over cast skies just the way I like it for working outside. Glad they take all the yard wastes and give you back the bags to use again the next time.
Hopefully my trees grow back as beautiful as they were before. Was lucky to have a few years of fruit from them.
________
Sueanne

Attached Images

Old 02-17-2018, 06:25 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Hope Papaya trees grow back after cutting back branches!

Had to cut back my Papaya trees they started getting soft on top since they are hollow inside. Was a good time to make them lower so they can be covered more at the end of the year. I am not looking to have a lot of fruit just enough to keep me supplied.
Felt bad seeing them so bare but they have strong roots and are in a sunny spot all day. Fed them good and will wait for results using the well water with more nutrients. Even the bees have arrived looking to pollinate the fruit trees. The two Papaya trees are a few years old so they served me well.

Attached Images

Last edited by Sueanne; 02-17-2018 at 06:28 PM.