Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Home & Garden > In the Garden > Gardening > Garden Pests & Rodents

Old 05-19-2010, 04:57 PM
Head Moderator
FamilyCorner Addict

Tobacco Worms

I am trying to figure out what to do this year for my tomatoes before the tobacco worms hit the tomatoes! Has anyone else ever had a problem with them? One of my SIL's says she just squishes them, but those things are huge and nasty! Not sure I can just squish them between my fingers like she does. I'd have to have disposable gloves in the garden! lol Anyone know of anything that will get them? They can strip a plant in one day and all you have left is the stem! Help!

When I was young we used to go "skinny dipping"; now we just "chunky dunk"

“The value of doing something does not lie in the ease or difficulty, the probability or improbability of its achievement, but in the vision, the plan, the determination and the perseverance, the effort and the struggle which go into the project. Life is enriched by aspiration and effort, rather than by acquisition and accumulation.”

― Helen Nearing, The Good Life

Last edited by cat lover; 05-19-2010 at 05:47 PM.
Old 05-19-2010, 05:00 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Can you pick them off the plant and put in a jar of water??

Roberta

Old 05-19-2010, 05:51 PM
Head Moderator
FamilyCorner Addict

They are sort of prickly, almost like they don't want to let go of the plant, but I suppose doing as you say would be much better than squishing them! And you have to really hunt for them, they are the color of the plant and about 2 inches long and as big around as your little finger.

“The value of doing something does not lie in the ease or difficulty, the probability or improbability of its achievement, but in the vision, the plan, the determination and the perseverance, the effort and the struggle which go into the project. Life is enriched by aspiration and effort, rather than by acquisition and accumulation.”

Old 06-13-2010, 04:11 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

If you spread lime(sp?) on the plants the worms will not bother them. Other than that, if they are white, you are too let them on the plants. The white is eggs, and when the eggs hatch (the eggs are actually from another type of bug) the hatched bug will eat the other tobacco worms.

If they are fully green you are to pick them off and get rid of them.

Interesting huh?

But, they are u-g-l-y things aren't they?

When I was young, I always said I wanted to be someone...I guess I should have been more specific!
Old 06-13-2010, 05:53 AM
Head Moderator
FamilyCorner Addict

Thanks mom2-4! I have never seen the white "egg sacks", but will take a look for them. I donlt like to put pesticides on the plants unless it is a very last resort, guess llime wouldn't fall into that would it? Anyone know if there are any effects from it like a pesticide?

Old 06-13-2010, 06:56 AM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Tomato worms

I always plant marigolds surrounding my tomato plants. The worms don't like the smell of them.
Old 06-14-2010, 06:27 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

My parents/g-parents as well as myself always planted Marigolds in between tomato plants and never had any kind of worms on them. Good luck