Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 07-09-2002, 05:06 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Gophers

Help!!!!!We have a large garden and are fighting gophers everyday. I know we should have used raised beds but we didn't. We have used traps and even hooked up a hose to the exust of a car but nothing seems to work. We are loosing 2 or 3 plants a day. They wait until the plants start to produce then just cut them off at the root. Does anyone have any ideas?
Old 07-13-2002, 07:02 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Question

Well... I don't have gopher problems and sure don't know I can help in that area.... but we are over run by moles in our yard and flower beds... I've waged an all out war on them.. and have looked everywhere for solutions... Don't know what to do either.... Any good ideas out there!!!!
Old 07-13-2002, 10:16 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Hi y'all..

We had a few of those pesky critters too....we tried a variation that was in Jerry Baker's book....and so far so good...
it works!

In a qt bottle mix:

1 1/2 tablespoons of Tabasco sauce
1 tablespoon liquid dish soap
1 teaspoon of chili powder
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 quart of water

The thing I like is that is not toxic!
You may need to apply twice....pour it into the runways and they will run away. It worked for us!

Jeannie
Old 07-13-2002, 11:49 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Thanks, Jeannie..
I have tried a variation of that to spray on veggies when culprits are taking nibbles.. but never thought of it to pour down the holes..
Oh yes.. watch out you little buggers..
Here's my gardening page with some other tips
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Pointe/5892

and my gardening tips page
http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/P...ardentips.html

Thanks again... I'll let you know..
Old 07-13-2002, 11:58 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

mamag7...

Kewl! please let me know if it works....It worked here very well...*s*

Jeannie
Old 07-16-2002, 11:05 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Pinkie Winky

dark-blue courier Hi...were we live in Alberta Canada, the gophers live in the fields and in the yards....i had had enough with watering their holes, so i took some plastic lawn animals..cats and squirrels and placed them in their holes.....never saw them again...and my kids thought a squirrel had gotten stuck..and so did the neighbours....everyone laughed!!Good luck!!
Old 07-17-2002, 09:41 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

blushing Gophers

I have never been on this before, so here goes. Why don't you try putting coffee cans, the big ones, with tops and bottoms cut out of them, to try and keep them from getting at the new stems. I put them around my tomatoes and peppers to keep the cutworms from my baby plants, plus the coffee cans are big enough to fit my garden hose in to water them. Last year was my first year of gardening, and I left the cans on till the end of the season, and my mom just told me that I should take them off when the plants are big enough. But last year I had an awesome crop of tomatoes, I actually made over 50 jars of salsa, so I don't know if it matters if you take the cans off. Let me know what you think....
Old 07-17-2002, 11:56 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

This page http://www.organicgardening.com/library/critters.html has some suggestions for deterring various pests, not gophers specifically, but woodchucks, groundhogs, moles, etc.

Our nemesis are deer and chipmunks

Find out more about autism at:
Autism Research Institute
Old 07-18-2002, 08:22 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Location: I'm somewhere between the Port of Indecision & Southwest of Disorder
Gophers, Moles, etc

We live in north central Texas and all underground creatures here are collectively referred to as 'salamanders'. What I am going to tell you sounds really gross, but it worked for my DH in his garden. Put fresh dog poop into the holes. He also used bleach, but the poop worked the best. It may be nasty, but it is definitely not a chemical that will cause pollution problems.

(hiding my face)

God Bless
Old 07-18-2002, 12:40 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

works on chipmunks!

I don't know about gophers, but if you take a rat trap, and lay a piece of pipe about the size of the rodent you are trying to get up to the trap, you should get rid of the pesky critters. They just can't resist seeing what is down the pipe. It works great on chipmunks. We tried all of the old wives tales remedies, and none of them worked. Finally a friend of ours told us about this one, and that his father had gotten at least 30 chipmunks that way. Good Luck!