Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Home & Garden > In the Garden > Gardening > Garden Pests & Rodents

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 06-22-2002, 09:23 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Any Ideas For Ants In A Garden?

Wow! This is really a great site!!!!

Okay, does anyone know how to get rid of ants? I have a barrel in the backyard for planting, and there are millions of ants in there!! They are the little black ants, but they bite! *ouchie*

A friend of mine (a Martha Stewart wannabe LOL) told me to use black pepper. She said it was safe for the flowers and for my dog in case he decided to sniff around there.

I don't think it's worked since I went to weed and there were just as many of them as before the pepper.

Any other non-chemical suggestions? I would like to plant a nice rose bush in that barrel, but I don't know if the ants would harm the bush either.

Thanks for your help!
Old 06-25-2002, 04:33 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I have not tried this myself, but I just read this message on a discussion list I am on:

Quote:
We got the suggestion from a neighbor that was born and raised in the rural area we moved to 4-1/2 years ago. I've tried everything to get rid of ants -- black pepper, salt, cayene pepper, you name it, I've tried it. HOWEVER, this remedy worked on fire ants, wood ants and black ants. Cream of Wheat or Farina -- NOT the instant, the kind you have to cook. Just pour over the ant hill or their line of travel. They eat the cereal as well as take it back to their colony and they (and this is not a pretty thought) but they swell up and die. I accidentally came across a huge rampant ant hill with tons of red ants everywhere in a field near my house. I sprinkled heavily with Cream of Wheat and within two days, there is not one ant anywhere around. My daughter had a problem at her house for several years of ants coming through her washer/dryer air vent that goes outside. She tried this and it worked, no more ants.

visit my blogs:
Amanda's Cookin'
Crafts by Amanda
Old 06-25-2002, 08:30 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

CLOVES (whole or ground) work very well. But you have to circle the area because they will go around the cloves.

Good Luck!

Old 06-25-2002, 07:59 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Thanks Amanda and Lawnangel!!!!

I'm off to the store tomorrow to get some Cream of Wheat!!

This is wonderful, it won't hurt my dog if he happens to munch around there either!! BONUS!!

Thanks again SOOOOO MUCH!!!

Hugs,
Old 06-26-2002, 11:09 AM
bonny h

I have had black ants marching around my house all spring and was at my wits end when a friend suggested using fabric softener sheets. I tore some up and stuffed them in the cracks and doorways where I thought the little beasts were coming into the house. Voila!! it worked.
I also used them under my front door mat on the outside of the house and they ran the other way. Hurrah. So hope this suggestions will also help. HAVE A GREAT DAY.
Old 06-27-2002, 12:12 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

ants in the garden

sprinkle diazanon granuales right on the ant hill, ants also hate lemon so spray with real lemon juice for a more natural solution or even borax soap powders, spray around plants with dish soap and water solution, also keeps sluggs and chipmunks out. go to JerryBaker.com for more garden tips or rebeccasgarden.com...two of my favorites!
Old 06-27-2002, 12:15 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

more about ants...

I just went back and read your ant problem again...maybe those are carpenter ants in the barrel...they thrive on wet rotten wood and I would use the diazanon granuales on them definitely!
Old 06-27-2002, 07:51 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Several years ago we had ants in our garden, and someone told us to use babypowder. It works great, we haven't had an ant problem in the garden since. But they popped up in different places in the yard, so we powdered the new places. We didn't have huge ant colonies this year. This is an inexpensive remedy. Hope this helps.
Old 06-27-2002, 09:41 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Hello, we have ants too in our garden and lawn. We tried all the natural stuff to rid us of ants but wehad to get out the Ant Posion!
We did find out this, we had a small village of ants living in our upper driveway.(loose rock&sand) After a hard rain they were washed down into our lawn and they set up a new village there!
So now we look over all parts of our lawn and driveway to kill them before they travel to new parts!

janet
Old 06-27-2002, 08:18 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

ants

that's the problem..ants always leave themselves an out...they tunnel down so far and always have an exit...that is why you have to venture out at least 5 ft away from the hill and circle inward with whatever you are using...more important ...start at your house and work outwards..you don't want to drive them INTO your home!