Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 08-29-2005, 10:23 AM
Nine Year Member

Crickets

Does anyone know how to get rid of crickets? They are in my yard, under the shed, in my garden eating holes in the tomatoes.

Roberta
Old 08-29-2005, 10:44 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Hi Roberta, The word crickets caught my eye, lol. We had a problem with them a few months ago and they even got in the house somehow, I told a funny story on the Embarrassing Thread about 1 that eneded up in my pocket book and jumped out of it while I was in the bank,LOL!! My dh, had to set off a fogger in the house,(we had to leave the house for 6 hours), and that helped (we had to do it twice though) as far as outside, the woman at the nursery told us to use

"diatomaceous earth" you sprinkle it around in your garden or where ever you see them, you can buy it at any nursery its not expensive, I guess it kills them when they walk thru it,I think I have a link to a site about it also. Ill see if I can find it and post it in a bit.
Old 08-29-2005, 10:48 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Here is some info about what it is, its also approved by the EPA because there is no chemicals in it.

G.1 WHAT IS DIATOMACEOUS EARTH?

Diatomaceous earth is a naturally occurring substance comprised of the fossilized remains of diatoms. Diatoms are microscopic sized hard shelled creatures found in both marine and fresh waters. The diatom shells are covered in sharp spines that make them dangerous to exoskeletal insects, but not to animals with internal skeletons. The spines of the diatom skeletons pierce the soft body tissues of insects between their hard exoskeletal plates and it is through these numerous microscopic wounds that the insect loses bodily moisture to the point of desiccating and dying. Creatures with internal skeletons such as humans, cattle and pets have means of resisting such damage and are not harmed. Thus, it is possible to mix a small amount of DE into your stored grains and beans to deter insect infestations without having to remove the dust again before you consume them. Diatomaceous earth works in a purely physical and not chemical manner and thus has no chemical toxicity.
Old 08-29-2005, 11:00 AM
Nine Year Member

Thanks sandieluvsbears I'll look into it. We have always had crickets I think they over winter under the shed but this year they are in the grass kind of funny when mowing you see all this hopping out of the way.

Roberta
Old 08-29-2005, 11:17 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

When we had them in the house, I opened the linen closet to get a towel and one jumped out at me,lol. My dad has a small garden and he uses the diatomaceous earth, he just sprinkles it around the tomato plants and whatevr else he has and its safe because of no chemicals so it wont get into the plants or harm them. Good Luck.
Old 09-04-2005, 07:46 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

You can always go to a local pet store and purchase some frogs (They are cheap!) Release them into your yard! THey will gobble them up!!

Sorry, we have frogs in our backyard and our mosquito problem isn't that bad either!

Become a Secret Sister!
Old 09-04-2005, 01:41 PM
Friend of the Family
FamilyCorner Admirer

These nasty things are in my house every late summer until the first really cold night. Can I use this "chemical" that everyone is recommending inside the house (where I have a dog) or should I sprinkle around the foundation of the house outside? We have never been able to figure out where they get in and they completely gross me out!!!!!!!

Wife to Bob 6/26/93
Mom to Jonathan & Adam(1996/1999)

My FC Member Awards!

Honorary Members

Old 09-05-2005, 06:13 AM
Nine Year Member

I hadn't thought of frogs though I'm not sure my dogs would let them live they catch grasshoppers to play with.

Roberta
Old 04-26-2010, 10:03 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I noticed that you didn't say anything about "birds" coming into your yard, they are "natural" predators for crickets (as our snakes and frogs). One person on a Yahoo search said "Try diluting a non-sugared hot sauce (like Tabasco) with water and spray affected areas. Let it dry naturally, and it will be odorless to you, extremely abrasive to insects. Alternatively, you can mix Dr. Bronner's Peppermint Liquid Soap with water and do the same. There are also high frequency pest repellents that plug into your wall that drive away many insects and rodents." Now I haven't tried these personally, as I have an abundance of animals that "visit" my yard through out the day. However I am not out in the boonies as some of my other neighbors are (there is still about the standard 20' from proberty line to a side house window separation) - which have about and acre or so between property lines and a side window.
Good luck and I hope one of informational pieces help you
If you see someone in need of help and you can do something, then do something — that goes for people and animals. If you can help out, try. That’s what I hope people take away from this.” -Alex Scroggins