Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > > >

Old 05-13-2002, 07:14 PM
A Member of the Family

My recipe was featured! Get yours featured too!
FamilyCorner Admirer

Pinkie Winky My FIRST garden

Hurray !!! It's done...........my first garden. It's about a 20' by 20' garden spot. Husband ran a borrowed tiller (his first time) and I planted. 2 rows of CORN, 10 tomatoes (red, yellow, roma, & grape) 10 peppers (red, green bell, jalepeno, anaheim) 2 rows of green beans, 3 cantaloupe, zucchini, and cucumbers. Also lettuce and radishes in my herb garden.
Totally exhauted, but very content and satisfied, now I just hope I can keep it weeded and everything lives.
My 2 yr old daughter thoroughly enjoyed walking around inthe dirt with her bare feet. She also helped me take the plants out of the containters and then to cover up some of the seeds.
Sorry I babbled on so...........just excited, this is my first garden and I love it!!!!
Old 05-13-2002, 09:00 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Congratulations!!!! I had planned on having a vegie garden this year, but it's taking longer than expected. We had decided to take down some of the old and dead trees in our yard, plus we are trimming all of the overgrowth (we have LOTS), so right now my backyard is COVERED in branches and logs LOL

Hopefully there won't be anymore rain and we'll be able to burn a lot of it this weekend, unfortunately we'll lose all the bulbs that are coming up out there, they grew right in our burn pile

I DID do some planting last week right outside my porch tho, and am VERY proud of it! I trimmed up an overgrown bush that has earned mini tree status, so I removed all the lower growth and made it look like a tree. It looks great! I planted some merigolds and ground cover under that. Then I also planted 6 rose bushes, two large yellow flower plants (chickseed I think? I'll have to check, but it's dark out now LOL), and various herbs (chives, parsley, thyme, dill, and some pepper plants.) I was unsuccessful in getting any basil tho, they had sold out, going to check somewhere else tomorrow.

Wow, this wasn't about my garden was it? LMAO Anyway, I am sooooo happy for you and you have motivated me not to give up on mine. Can't WAIT to get all this stuff outta my yard!
Old 05-29-2002, 10:45 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I'm new to this as well. My garden is grown is large pots and so far is doing well. How is everyones gardening coming along?
Old 06-02-2002, 04:49 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

1st time posting - Iworth that sounds like a lot of garden! To keep down the weeds in my garden and conserve moisture, I apply straw or hay about a week after planting. Just open the bale up and spread a thick layer. If my dh picks up the lawn clippings, he'll spread those around too. When you rottotill next just work it in.

My garden is not in yet - This is the latest I've ever not had a garden in. The weather has been cold and rainy. I've been busy with ds graduation. "Aahh maybe next week!" (I've been saying that a lot!!
Old 06-03-2002, 07:44 AM
FamilyCorner Admirer

CONGRATULATIONS!! I know the feeling, I just planted my first garden last week. I just hope its not too much! We started with 4 raised beds 3ft X 6ft. But dh decided that was not big enough so opened up part of the old garden, they used too have. About 6ftX 15ft. I said I will ask him in mid-July if he still thinks that was a good idea!
Old 06-07-2002, 05:36 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

HI Everyone! I'm not into vegetable gardens, but definitely into flowers. Mind if I talk about that? We've had cooler than normal weather and quite wet (like in Indiana), so everything is a little slower than normal. But it's all taking off now and I just want to keep planting more and more flowers! I've already spent more than I should at the garden centers. Now my online catalogs are having sales. How do I stop? I've started 2 new gardens this year with spring bulbs (that are done now) and I'm getting started with hostas and daylilies now. I'm hoping to get them all filled with perennials, but it's going to take more than I had thought. But at least dh is getting interested in the yard and wants to build a small bridge between the two gardens. Sounds good to me. My biggest problem is to keep the bugs from attacking me whenever I'm outside. I HATE bugs!! Anyone got any ideas for me? HELP!

Carol
Old 06-07-2002, 06:25 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

First Garden

Congratulations on your first garden. I sure envy you and all the great weather and growing season ahead of you. I live in Northern Michigan so growing vegies is a challenge. I plant alot of beans, herbs, potatos, lettuce, squash,pumpkins. But we do have many woods to pick berries, blueberries, thimbleberries,wild strawberries and we can get cranberries in the fall.Of course we have to get them before the "bears". ;-)
Old 06-07-2002, 06:30 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

Bugs

Make sure when you are gardening not to have on any perfume, bugs love that. I use Avon's Skin So Soft, it works for me. It is pretty smelly, but easy on the skin. We call it the "family perfume". I hate the thought of using harsh chemicals on my skin or clothes. Are you getting eaten up by mosquitoes?
Old 07-22-2002, 03:25 PM
Nine Year Member

Vegetable Garden

Hi Everyone, Every year I love to plant a few of my favorite Veggies. Tomatoes,eggplants,peppers & squash. The tomatoes are starting to let up now with the heat. I love the japanese eggplants they are so easy to fix. They look like a cucumber in shape. Also have the white & purple regular eggplants. Hope the heat does not get them. It is a little harder growing things here in Florida mostly all sand. As long as they get the afternoon rains they keep producing. Also have a grapefruit, orange & fig tree. In a few years they all got real big. They are alot of work keep trimmed since I don't want them to big but the reward is worth it.
Old 07-23-2002, 03:08 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Amending Soil

Sueanne you said you have sandy soil. Try amending the soil with compost and anything organic (tree leaves, grass clippings). It will help the soil retain nutrients and water it needs to help your veggies. My soil is 150% clay!!! My garden area is extremely nice because I have been adding organic amendments yearly. It improves both clay and sandy soil.

Nan