Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Old 06-18-2002, 02:26 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

what do I do with abundance of oranges from tree?

My Florida friend has an orange tree but doesn't know what to do with the oranges besides juicing them and also freezing the juice. Do any of the southern folks have any ideas or recipes? shari
Old 06-19-2002, 01:08 PM
A Member of the Family
FamilyCorner Groupie

Orange Marmalade...get a dehydrator and dehydrate some and dip themin dark chocolate and have some new candy!

http://foodpursuit.blogspot.com
Old 06-20-2002, 11:59 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Lightbulb Abundant oranges

I have a recipe that is great for when you have lots of oranges. Put about a jar-full of store-bought orange marmalade into a pan over medium heat. Add a few tablespoons of orange liquer, according to taste. Simmer until the mixture is bubbly. Remove from heat and cool slightly. Pour mixture over the peeled and divided orange sections from about 10 oranges. I served this for company for breakfast a couple of weeks ago and they all had a fit over it. I was really delicious!
Old 06-21-2002, 08:12 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I live in Florida and recently there have been newspaper articles about local food banks and soup kitchens that are always happy to receive citrus fruit. Considering the number of homeless people and people who have recently lost employment down here, it sounds like a great way to make a small difference in someone's life...
Old 06-21-2002, 08:28 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Spanish Salad

Hi there! This recipe is from a book I bought as a young bride about 30 years ago called Salad Days. It is called Spanish Salad and it makes wonderful use of oranges.

1 onion, thinly sliced
1 orange, cut into segments
4 TBs oil
4 TBs vinegar
salt and pepper to taste
1 head of romaine lettuce (I have used a mesclun mix and arugula and buttercup lettuce -- all good)

1. Cut the onion into thin slices and separate the rings. Place them in a salad bowl.

2. Peel the orange and pull into segments. (You might like to cut the skin off the segments if it seems tough. The orange will be easier to peel if first placed in hot water for a few secons. ) Add to the onion.

3. Combine the oil, vinegar, salt and pepper, and whisk until well blended. Pour this mixture over the onions and orange. Cover the bowl and leave to marinate in the refrigerator for 1 hour.

4. Wash and dry the lettuce leaves and tear into bite-size pieces. Just before serving, gently toss the lettuce in the marinade.

Serve immediately.

YUM!! Truly refreshing with light meat, chicken or fish.
Old 06-21-2002, 08:52 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Candied Orange Peel

~~~~~~~ Candied Orange Peel ~~~~~~~

Not a southerner but here's a great recipe for all those peels you'll have.........

3 lg oranges (thick peel is preferable) Candy Thermometer
1 1/2 C water
1/4 t salt
5 C water
1 C sugar
Sugar for coating (about 1/2 C)

1. Remove peel in 4 length wise sections. Put into a 2 qt saucepan and add 1 1/2 C water and salt. Bring to a boil and cook till almost tender, about 15 mins. Remove from heat and drain well.

2. Return peel to pan and add 1 1/2 C water. Bring to boiling, drain immediately. repeat procedure 2 more times. After last draining scrape white part from peel. Cut peel into 3/4" strips.

3. Combine the 1 C sugar and remaining 1/2 C water in pan. Stir over low heat until sugar is dissolved. Cover pan and boil gently for 5 mins. Uncover and set in candy thermometer.

4. Continue cooking without stirring until thermometer reads 230-234F, washing down crystals from sides and changing water after each washing. (I'm not sure what that means - I think I just made sure I didn't let it dry up) Remove thermometer and add strips of peel and cook very slowly, stirring frequently until most of the liquid is absorbed and peel begins to look transparent.

5. Remove peel to cooling rack. When slightly cooled, roll, a few peices at a time, in the sugar. Cool completely and store in a tightly covered container. Makes about 1 pound.
Old 06-22-2002, 11:34 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

chuckle

I have a great recipe for "drunk oranges"! Everyone always loves it and begs for more. Very easy. Keeps great in the frig. If you want the recipe, I'll find it and post it. It's a syrup with cinnamon, sugar and orange liquour and the sliced oranges are marinated in it.

As for any other left over oranges, please bring them to me! Sounds yummy!
mommy to India, Taylor and Trinity
Old 06-22-2002, 03:24 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

orange recipes

Thank you all for the wonderful responses ....yes, I would love the one for the "drunk oranges" from rosmith....can't wait to try the others....
Old 06-22-2002, 05:59 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Robin? What a tease! Share the Drunk Oranges recipe. Please?! Before the Fourth!

Thanks...............Debbie aka lawnangel
Old 06-25-2002, 05:21 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Oranges

Hello slb427

How about getting some unusual shaped bottles. (from Michaels, Joanne's fabric, AC Moore, even Dollar Tree or Dollar stores) You could make fantastic orange vinager. Section the oranges and stuff them into the bottles and get creative. Add some Cinnamon sticks, cloves, garlic or a variety of herbs to the bottles and fill with white vinager. Wrap the neck of the bottles with raffia or ribbon and your done. They would be great gifts for your friends when your invited to dinner. Or if you have a party to go to. Everyone loves things like this.

Another idea would be to dehydrate orange slices and string them up for decorative purposes. Even add them to potporie. Good luck and enjoy the fresh oranges.