Onions ~ save time and money

• When I need to chop an onion for a recipe, I usually try to only use half the onion and chop the rest and freeze it for another day. I often also will chop a second one while I have the knife and board out and my hands are getting smelly and freeze that for another occasion as well.
    The frozen onion is fine if you intend to cook with it~ it just has a little more moisture than usual at the start. I throw it in the pan still frozen. It can help make a quiche or mince dish very quick.

I use mince dishes (ground beef) almost like a takeaway meal. Pull the browned mince out of the freezer, throw in a chopped onion and a tin of tomatoes and herbs. 15 minutes to a quick mexican dish (add taco sauce) or pasta dish, just cook the pasta and sprinkle with cheese.
  • I am thinking to do the same with any kind of onion for instance red onion which the second half never gets used as quickly as the first. Thanks for the idea Meg!
  • I too freeze the 2nd half of the onion, chopped, makes getting dinner on the table so much quicker the next time. I reuse the store brand yogurt cups with lids as they are the right size for 1/2 of an onion.

Roberta
  • bump