Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Old 07-21-2014, 01:44 PM
Head Moderator

Reuse items for survival

What type of items are you putting away for your prepping that can be used over and over. After all we may not have a store to go to so reuse and reuse might be a must! Have you thought about that?
Old 07-21-2014, 06:48 PM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

This is one area where we earn a failing grade, then again, we're lucky in the sense that we reside in a unique geographical zone where water, wildlife, fruit trees, and other essential resources are right at our doorstep, so we don't plan for uneventful circumstances, though it wouldn't hurt to.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:26 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I store my grains and such in jars that can be reused. Also I try to buy blankets when I find one on great discount so those can be reused of course. I also buy flannel baby blankets to use for kitchen towels ect.

Old 07-22-2014, 02:48 AM
Head Moderator

I have for years anyway done the reuse, reuse thing(I hate buying the same thing over and over). We have to prep all the time anyway living way back in a rural area. We even have a two seater outhouse, a hand pump well ( we use it occasionally as it is spring fed; instead of always using the deep drilled well), and we heat only with an inside wood stove. When the power goes out our drilled well means no water which means no bathroom use and of course if we had regular heat we would be without that also.
Several years ago we went without power for 5 days in the summer and 5 days during an ice storm; all our city relatives were calling and worried to death about us out here in no where land because they right in the city, couldn't heat their homes, couldn't cook and were trapped because of either downed trees or the snow and ice. We were fine, warm heat from our wood stove, cooking on and in it as well as a firepit, and we had the outhouse for a bathroom. Hauled water by the bucket to bathe in and any other needs.
Food we are always stocked up with various items as the one local grocery is a 20 mile round trip, so we have an 8 x 10 walk in pantry, and a freezer and two refrigerators. We keep 25 gallons of gas for generator use and when we use the generator we only run it 5 hours at a time, enough to keep the freezer and refrigerator working. We empty the refrigerator in the kitchen into a cooler and eat from that. Then the freezer and refrigerator that are in the garage downstairs are the ones that we run and they aren't opened till the cooler is needy.
If we had to we could trap wild animals for meat, but that would have to be way down the road as we eat otherwise for protein anyway. I dehydrate lots of food already and can and with the pantry the size it is we would be fine for at least 6 to 12 months.

Last edited by cat lover; 07-22-2014 at 02:51 AM.
Old 07-22-2014, 03:57 AM

Like Dawn I recycled any jar I can get my hands on, store my dry items and the dogs food in. I'm still a work in progress on building up a food supply.

I'm going to make a point of asking the pizza place we buy from what they do with their glass jars that they buy olives and hot peppers in so that I can keep stocking up on the dog food with out having to buy more jars.

Anna
Old 07-22-2014, 05:55 AM
Nine Year Member

Those would be a great size for storage Anna.

Water would be an issue in the city. We could all huddle in one bedroom and keep the door closed to warm with body heat and lots of blankets.

Roberta
Old 07-22-2014, 07:01 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Roberta,

You are right, water would be an issue in the city. That's why whenever I find a large water jug for sale at a thrift or consignment store I buy them for water storage. we also have a Berkey to clean whatever water we may need to in the future.

Catlover, you seem to have a nice place. I hope you have watchdogs for such a nice setup.

We also have a wood stove which will be great for the ice storms we get in the winter. As far as fresh protein we do get eggs from our hens, but not in the winter.

Anna, I hope the pizza place does have jars for you. As for my stocks they are also a work in progress.

Old 07-22-2014, 09:25 AM
Nine Year Member

Like catlover we have some self sufficiency built in with a coal and woodburner, solar lighting, and soon solar freezer. We have batteries to charge our phones and crank radios and all kinds of portable lighting. We do not have a bomb shelter but we do have one area of the basement that is fairly well insulated and protected. We have a dog, and other forms of protection against looting. We have good neighbors too.

"God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of love, power, and a sound mind."
Old 07-22-2014, 01:40 PM
Head Moderator

We have several dogs and raise chickens for eggs so that helps a lot. I also own several guns if they are needed. I have a stockpile of ammo already. We have a system that can purify water by just sitting it on the wood stove to do its work so any water even creek water can be used. I also keep some gallons of bleach around as well as water purify tablets.

We keep a lot of dog and cat food around because we are so far away from the stores, usually 250 pounds of dog food are always here and for the cats I keep between 11 and 15 large bags of it in stock. Right now we also keep 1000 pounds of chicken feed on hand, but they can be supplemented with natural food and almost everything that would normally go into a compost is fed to the chickens.
Old 07-23-2014, 08:24 AM
Banned for SPAMMING
FamilyCorner Addict

CAT LOVER - you sound like my kind of gal!!!!! Love the set up you seem to have. That would be my ideal way of living.

We live in the city, but prep a lot. Like you self protection and stock of ammo.
We have created a water filtration system that will purify even river water. Rain barrels for plants and toilet, hair, etc.
I garden and can everything I can get my hands on.
I make a major stock-up every month for cat food, so I don't run out.

I cut old t-shirts for re-use into hankies, rags, and small pieces for nail polish removal, make-up removal, or whatever.
I never get rid of a blanket or quilt.
Use any large glass jars I get for storage of grains, etc.
Don't have a means to heat with wood - but we are investing in a whole house generator very soon.
I have a wood source, and I can cook over fire and have tons of cast iron pans. Also keep 3 propane tanks full at all times for grill.

I try to re-use as much as possible. Hate paying for things - I will think about what I can use instead of buying.