Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Home & Garden > Frugal Living

Frugal Living Whether you are searching for frugal dinners or just want to learn how to save some money, this is the forum you want!

Old 10-06-2012, 08:28 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

Will bugs get in the flour etc if stashed in the buckets? Approx
how much do the buckets cost?
Old 10-25-2012, 03:15 PM
Banned for SPAMMING
FamilyCorner Addict

PATTY - I got some buckets at WM. I think the bucket was about $3 and the lids like around $1.20. They will hold a lot. I also use old popcorn tins (you know the ones you get at Christmas), for storing bags of flour and sugar. Large totes with lids are also great. Can usually get them after each holiday (in holiday colors) rather cheaply. Also check thrift stores.

I always freeze the flour for a couple days before storing it. It will kill any buggies or their eggs (gross I know), but then you can store for ages.

I also wrap sugar and flour in plastic grocery bags before putting in the tubs, just for extra protection.

I have lots of dried beans and rice, which will sytretch meals and still give some protein (beans). White rice will last for years, but brown rice can go rancid after a year or so. I keep all that in big totes with lids.
Old 10-25-2012, 04:15 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

Thanks Cheryl nice to see you on here.
Will check W-Mart for the buckets. I prefer Brown rice but
do use/eat white. I keep pancake mix in freezer too. Anyone
ever heard of or had SWEET POTATO pancakes? Found
a box at Cracker Barrel they had syrup too but it was in
the last basket of assorted stuff so could not get any
since a man bought that one.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:17 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Prices on groceries here have gone crazy too. I have watched your crazy coupon people shows and am green with envy. We don't have that kind of couponing here. It is straight up coupons and a lot are hardly worth the while as you have to buy 2 or one of this and one of that. I miss double coupon days with real coupons for $1!!!

I go to the stores after dropping the child of at school and look for the clearance items. I get bread, baking, for 50% off, meat 30 - 50% off and dairy products (not a wide variety usually) for about 30% off. It helps cut the sting for sure.

Don't get your knickers in a knot It makes you walk funny!
Old 10-26-2012, 08:41 PM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Patty

I got my buckets at Lowes.. look for white buckets that say Food Grade on them. Bucket and lid are sold seperately but together ran about $3.50 or less.

I have been buying as many turkeys as I can afford right now.. ours has ran the last 3 weeks for 78 cents a lb. I'm not buying big ones just the 10-12 lbs. ones and have been cooking, cooling, deboning and freezing what we don't use. Krogers has had them 3 weeks in a row, Giant Eagle started their sale for the first time this week. Walmart price matched last week on the turkey price of Krogers but theirs was reasonably priced normal at 98 cents a lb. and you didn't have to make any required purchase.. Krogers and Giant Eagle were limit 1 with a $10 purchase. I'll continue stocking up on those now through Christmas as they go on sale. The purpose of precooking ( I just cook in water) is to reduce the size and have ready when I want to make turkey veggie soups. We don't eat alot of ham but will be buying those and cutting up for ham and bean soups when they are on sale.

We don't have great coupon sales here either.. some stores do double but most of the darn coupons require 2, 3 or even 4 items be purchased of that product. give me a Break! I was excited last week with the nut coupons that came out $1 off, Yay! Found them today, couldn't believe it the lowest price on the brand was close to $10 a bag and these were small bags less than a lb. Oh it was Fisher brand nuts. Needless to say fudge and brownies this year will either be nutless or small amount of crushed nuts on the top.

The buckets can be found at Lowes in the painting section of the store.

Anna
Old 10-27-2012, 06:31 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

An easy "wow look at that price increase" for me was walking past the 20 ct Carefree panty liners that were $1.09 but now $1.39. 28% increase give me a break. I'm guessing they wont be on sale for $1 with $.50 coupon to double anymore.

Having pre-cooked meat on hand is very smart for quick meals as well as during power failures they are easy to reheat or as with the turkey you could eat cold in sandwiches.

I'm looking at containers to see what can be repurposed like the 27 lb containers of cat litter will clean them and use to store emergancy items for each family member.

Roberta
Old 10-27-2012, 06:50 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I buy the cooked turkey breasts and round bone hams at GFS when they are on sale and have them slice them. I freeze in packs for lunch-meat and meals. To use in sandwiches I just defrost and dry with paper towels. They taste fine

Old 10-27-2012, 08:52 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

Was hoping to get to W-mart or Lowes but have not.
I think we will be okay food wise batteries and the like if our
power goes out thanks to Sandy. I pray we are not hit too
badly. Already have things on porch stashed in the garage.
Feel bad for my outdoor birds as feeders are in garage too