Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Home & Garden > Frugal Living

Frugal Living Whether you are searching for frugal dinners or just want to learn how to save some money, this is the forum you want!

Old 08-05-2010, 05:49 PM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Made In America Food or Is It?

I listened to a broadcast today

http://archives2010.gcnlive.com/Archives2010/aug10/CalltoDecision/080410.mp3

in reference to our economy and a Super Inflation Meltdown that they predict will come by 2015. In their interview with the guy from the National Inflation Association he talks of our dependence on China and other foreign countries for food and components to make our products here in the USA. As the value of the American dollar decreases in the coming years, China and other countries will sell to other countries instead of us who have a better value on their dollar. I listened randomly to this show as I was doing other things but took note about food such as Apple Juice now being made in China, which I thought was a little odd. I happened to have a jar of Dole peaches in the jar tonight and happened to look on the label, it said Manufactured for "a company here in the USA" but Made In China!!! OMG! What is our country coming to that we have to buy canned peaches from China??? I will never buy from Dole again. Instead I will be looking for peaches grown here in the USA and canning my own.

P.S.

You will need Media Play on your computer to listen to this broadcast, it is by a Pastor and there is alot of advertisement filler in it but I just put it down in the corner of my computer to listen to while I looked at other things on the computer till the ads were over.

Anna
Old 08-05-2010, 06:23 PM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I am too tired to watch this tonight. I will watch it tomorrow. Good heavens peaches from China?? I will be checking my food too.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:28 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

Thanks for the info Anna!

Proud Granny of Maddox Timothy Joseph and Saorla Laurie Elizabeth and Graham Michael Eric!

You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try.
Beverly Sills
Old 08-06-2010, 06:37 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Sounds more and more that I need to invest in a pressure canner and put up more food than I do.

Roberta
Old 08-06-2010, 11:37 AM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Roberta

Absolutely though most fruits that I know of can be canned in a water bath, no pressure canner needed.

I did just find a company here in Ohio today that sells canned meat, no fillers, no msg, low sodium and uses local meat suppliers.. They sell at Krogers and Walmarts.

$5.99 for 1 lb. 12 oz. can at Krogers.

Keystone Meats Other Products & Services

Anna
Old 08-07-2010, 04:59 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I have a water bath canner that was my Great Aunts that I used many years ago... think zinc lids & rubber seals LOL.

My sister and I have been talking about going in together and buying a pressure canner. I've heard they are so much faster than water canning.

Roberta
Old 08-07-2010, 03:10 PM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I bought a used pressure canner but have yet to use it. I am scared of the thing!!
Old 06-18-2011, 03:55 AM
Six Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Perhaps it's time we let "Dole" know we won't be buying their products anymore, now that we know some come from China. They might make an effort to US products.
Old 06-18-2011, 02:23 PM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I found a local meat market that sells locally chemically free meats. I placed a beef order and will be talking to them next week about their fruits, veggies and seafood. You can sign up and get the food delivered monthly, three or four times a year.They have commercial grade freezers to rent or sell too. Don't know about that.
Old 10-08-2011, 12:24 AM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Fresh fruit and veg are no better, here in Australia the are wanting to import apples from other countries and other veg usually from the Asian countries.
In out of season times we have Californian navel oranges and I've seen how some Asian countries raise their seafood. ( I say Asia as that's the name mostly on the country of origin labels) I read labels a lot lately.
I don't know how American labels are read but here it's "from local and imported ingredients" if local is listed first it's MOSTLY from here and if imported in listed first it's MOSTLY imported. Frozen chips/fries from Turkey, it's wrong.
I'm all for trying your hardest to buy what's from your own country as why not it's freshest closest BUT I'm told it's overseas as the world is free trade and to sell your own countries goods to the world you have to buy other stuff back.
Go local LOL