Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Frugal Living Whether you are searching for frugal dinners or just want to learn how to save some money, this is the forum you want!

Old 04-05-2012, 07:29 PM
Nine Year Member

I try to buy "local" (made in my county first then in my state and finally in my country) but sometimes it's near impossible to buy made in the USA which I think is wrong. Big business has sold the US out for more profit for them.

I don't count "canned in USA", if the mushrooms, etc. where shipped from china as being from the US. I have gone to buying fresh mushrooms on sale (grown in the USA) saute them and freeze in 1/2 cup containers.

Roberta
Old 04-05-2012, 07:39 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

Great idea Roberta thank you going to bed early morn due to Son In Law's surgery
Old 04-05-2012, 11:23 PM
Assistant Moderator

I went to buy ham from the deli last month and asked if it was Aussie pork, they said 'no it's not' but didn't say where it was from. What we don't grow pigs here?!
I asked on another ham product as it said imported and local ingredients and that was over seas pork but had been made into ham over here so the local ingredient was the salt and smoking. I did eventually at another place find Aussie pork.

We have a lot of US navel oranges here at the moment as our season is now finished

Old 04-06-2012, 03:24 AM

Bilby

That is odd on the ham isn't it? I don't see a problem so much with imported fruits if ours is out of season depending on where it's coming from. China and some of the other smaller countries like Pakistan, Egypt have unsanitary methods of producing.. I have a friend who adopted 2 children from China at different times and she told of how nasty and dirty their country is with men urinating right on the street.. don't know where she was at in China but that has been within the past 6 years.

Anna
Old 04-06-2012, 05:56 AM
Assistant Moderator

We buy a lot of Canadian and European foods. Simply because their labeling is truthful and the USAs a lot of the time is not. I do buy local eggs and dairy. Next month I should be able to buy a beef and pork when it is ready. Food allergies make my life interesting!!
Old 04-06-2012, 02:39 PM
Assistant Moderator

Apparently with the ham the overseas pig was cheaper than local and that is why it was made ham over here. You really do have to ask if it's not mentioned. Our fruit and veg have to have 'place of origin' on the price label on every product in every store. The deli does not seem to do that yet.
Always be careful of overseas seafood, as you were saying with China and a lot of Asian countries if you saw how their seafood was grown you'd be shocked and appalled (Fresh and frozen), I NEVER buy anything that's not caught in Aussie waters, and salmon would be my canned fish of choice and that is Canadian.

Old 04-07-2012, 01:54 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

I never buy fruit or anything if it says China or the like on it. I have no idea
where the pear or grapes I ate little bit
ago came from. But I washed them well before I ate them.
And am very careful with any fish item. Don't like Salmon in any form. I like Kippers Judy likes Sardines, picky about my canned Tuna too. Don't care for canned Mackeral.