Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Home & Garden > Frugal Living

Frugal Living Whether you are searching for frugal dinners or just want to learn how to save some money, this is the forum you want!

View Poll Results: Are you making plans to become more frugal this year?
Yes, I would like to become more frugal this year 20 37.04%
I'm pretty frugal already but I'm always looking for new ideas 33 61.11%
No, I'm happy with the way things are right now 1 1.85%
I might consider it but I'm not sure where to begin 0 0%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-01-2009, 05:21 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Are you making plans to become more frugal this year?

With the start of a new year, have you decided to become more frugal?

If so, how do you plan on doing it?

We have a frugal forum here at FC that's packed full of tried and true tips from our members. Everyone posts about what has worked for them and what hasn't. The support from members in that forum is absolutely great! Everyone is welcome to join! Don't be shy about asking questions...there's always someone there to help!

Also, take the time to read "Cut Your Grocery Bills in Half" and "Turning Trash into Cash" - along with several other helpful frugal articles from the FamilyCorner.com website. These articles contain more great frugality great tips.

Lets share ideas and together we can make the best effort in making 2009 our most frugal year yet!

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 01-01-2009, 05:51 PM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Tami

Yes, we're going to be tightening the belt even more this year 2009. Doing more homemade meals or supplements such as homemade tomato juice instead of buying premade, growing a garden 3 X the size of ths past years, planting from heirloom seeds instead of buying pregrown (we already have a grow room we haven't been using so we could start them as early as we want, paying our property taxes off early instead of waiting till the end of the year as we did this year.

Anna
Old 01-02-2009, 04:39 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

We will definitely be tightening our belts this year. We have incurred some medical bills and credit card debt due to last-minute travel when FIL passed away this year. Our goal is to have all debt erased by June.

Kathy
Old 01-02-2009, 06:30 AM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

At this point, I don't know what else we can do to cut expenses. But I am on the look out for more ideas.

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
Thomas Jefferson
Old 01-02-2009, 07:18 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I am looking at new recipes to incorporate more beans & rice into our meals to stretch the grocery budget.

Will work at keeping the utilities as low as possible all year.

Roberta
Old 01-02-2009, 09:41 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Definitely planning on becoming more frugal this year. There are so many areas that I need to improve on, the main one being buying take-aways and ready meals. So my plan for January is to meal plan and prepare extra so that I can put in the freezer, especially as I have just started working full time.

I also wish to do more with the vegetable garden this year.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:42 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

We have to save and a lot! Dd#2 is getting married in Oct. Don't know how we're going to get it all done, because it will be 2300+ miles away. Thank heavens my sil has offered the use of her BIG house and grounds. I'll have to fly in 1 or 2 weeks early to help get everything ready. Another adventure!
dh has been so great about getting the credit cards paid off and only have 2 left we manage carefully. Buy what we need and pay it off asap! We only purchase medications on one, and mine add up to over $300.00 a month. We have been tightly watching the financial investments as several took a big hit. My portfolio went down to half, and I know dh's went down quite a bit too. But, I know from years before that God will take care of us and I don't worry about. I do what I can and God will do the rest.
My dh was laid off for 3 1/2 months. I had 2 young children and we were in a rented duplex. The owners had dh do some needed repairs, and said when we could we could make payments. Most landlords would have put us out. I began to keep children 24/7 and bring in $300.00 a week cash. It helped get our utilities back on and keep them on, not to mention put some food on our table. A friend of dh's took him fishing and they came back with 3 HUGE bass, we had been out of meat. One of these fish was big enough to take up 2 lg. baking sheets filleted! We've trusted God at his word and never been without food or shelter, but we've never been "rich" with money. We are rich with family, friends and love

Vivian
Old 01-02-2009, 11:01 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Vivian, trust in God, he always provides, maybe not how we ask him to but he does.

I'm pretty much going with what everyone else has said. I'm pretty frugal already but am going to crack down even harder. I really do hope I find a job fairly soon. There's a new Walgreens going in about 10 miles from my house, going to keep an eye open for the job postings.

I need to use my coupons more, I use them but not like my idol, Roberta! Also plan out my meals better and use what we have on hand instead of being lazy and just getting a pizza, it does add up.

Lisa
Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:40 PM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I am definitely going to try to be more frugal this year and start trying to get out of debt. I know there are a lot of ways I can improve on. I am going to think twice before spending for one thing. I am looking forward to finding some new ideas on this thread.

~Mother Theresa

Old 01-02-2009, 02:33 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

I am going to the commissary next Thursday would go sooner but can not. Going to make my list and NOT diviate from it. Short of something really great on a even greater sale. I will check out the freezer to see what is what there and lots of meatless meals at least for next couple months. And use a coupon where ever I can