FamilyCorner.com Forums

FamilyCorner.com Forums (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/)
-   Frugal Living (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/frugal-living/)
-   -   Saving Money on Food - Leftovers (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/frugal-living/23142-saving-money-food-leftovers.html)

Mia 07-15-2008 07:36 AM

Saving Money on Food - Leftovers

Hi everyone,

We had a pig roast for about 125 people this past weekend, and now I'm dealing with leftovers. It made me wonder...what are some of your more creative ways of using leftovers? Do you have one particular staple item that you keep on hand to make leftovers easier to manage?

DeBora4BobbyL 07-15-2008 09:54 AM

I hate leftovers, so I have to find a creative way to use them so I'll eat them. I like to make quesadillas with leftover chicken or any meat. I like to make stew with leftover roast. When there is a tiny bit of veggies, they can be placed in a medium-sized container that is in the freezer. When the container gets full, put the veggies out and add broth, meats, potatoes, or whatever, to make a stew or a soup.

ajrsmom 07-15-2008 08:02 PM

I'm like DeBora, I hate leftovers..always have since I was young. BUT...I have to deal with them!

With chicken, pork or beef, I usually do
*tacos (soft or hard) or quesidillas

*sloppy joes

*tortellini soup with beef or chicken broth and the meat with some fresh veggies
casseroles with pasta, the meat, some leftover veggies and gravy (or cream of whatever soup)

*stiry frys or fried rice with veggies

*bar-b-que sandwiches

* I've also thawed frozen bread dough and rolled it out flat, then fill with meat and cheese and bake.

*I add some to scrambled eggs, too. :)

*make a quick quiche--store bought pie crust, meat, cheese, veggies and beaten eggs.

The plus side to most of these is that they can be frozen so if you get tired of pork, freeze them for later! ;) :)

DeBora4BobbyL 07-16-2008 03:31 AM

Tami, I like the idea of rolling out dough and filling it with leftover meats and such.

Mish 07-16-2008 04:57 AM

Some good ideas for the leftovers.
Mish :)

AnnaInOhio 07-16-2008 06:56 AM

Tami

At what temp. do you bake the stuffed bread and for how long?

Anna

Sueanne 07-16-2008 08:11 PM

I like to put leftover meat in a blender mix with mayonaise to mke a sandwich spread. Can add seasoning to make more flavorful.
Adding leftover meat and vegetables to ricearoni and macaroni and cheese.
Cut up pieces and vegetables mixed with la choy chow mein noodles and soy sauce.
Most of the time we make lunch with the leftovers from the night before.
________
Sueanne

AnnaInOhio 07-17-2008 04:09 AM

Sueanne

I do that too with chicken, mayo and pickle relish.. yum!

When I worked alot of the time leftovers would be for lunch the next day... I was fortunate to work for a company with a employee cafeteria area with microwaves and refrigerators.

Anna

ajrsmom 07-18-2008 05:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OSI
Tami

At what temp. do you bake the stuffed bread and for how long?

Anna

I bake it at 350* until it's light brown--when the bread looks done. Sorry that I don't have a specific time for it but I just eyeball it. I usually brush the top of the bread with a little water before baking and then again with a little melted butter or olive oil when it comes out of the oven--you don't even have to do this and it turns out fine. :)

My DH and kids love this! :)

ajrsmom 07-18-2008 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OSI
Sueanne

I do that too with chicken, mayo and pickle relish.. yum!

When I worked alot of the time leftovers would be for lunch the next day... I was fortunate to work for a company with a employee cafeteria area with microwaves and refrigerators.

Anna

My DH has microwaves at work so that makes it easier for him to take leftovers. :)

I love chicken salad made the way you've described it only I use just chopped up pickles..and a handful of walnuts chopped up once in a while. ;)