Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums >

Frugal Living Whether you are searching for frugal dinners or just want to learn how to save some money, this is the forum you want!

Old 01-15-2009, 05:13 AM
Three Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

The only suggestion I have that someone else hasn't all ready posted is to put leftover meat with a can of cream of mushroom and a cup of sour cream with a dash of garlic powder,a small can of mushrooms with the liquid, heat through on med low and serve over noodles Not the healthiest thing but great comfort food.
Old 02-12-2010, 04:44 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Leftovers

If you need another reason to use up leftovers or to compost you might think about this. I have recently read that leftovers and wasted food that goes into our landfills produce a huge amount of methane gas! There is farm here in NC that uses food waste to make compost. Saves the environment and makes a useful product. So you can reduce your carbon footprint by using up your leftovers. Frugal and environmentally friendly - how's that?
Old 02-13-2010, 04:13 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I was watching a show on TV once, can't remember what it was, but it was at a water treatment plant. The guy said that they encourage people to put leftovers down the garbage disposal because that is all reused in one way or another after it's filtered out. I disposal everything except meat. That I give to the dog as a treat
Old 02-13-2010, 05:03 AM

Good morning all!!

I have a question? I made some steamed spinach the other day from frozen. This was the most bitter spinach I have ever eaten. Does anyone know of a way to make the leftovers less bitter? I figure it must be the variety or maybe the time of year it was harvested? Whatever, I love spinach, it is truly one of my special "diet" foods, and this one bag is terrible. Problem is, I have a lot left over, and don't want it to go to waste.

Any ideas are greatfully accepted.

Thanks. Norma
Old 02-13-2010, 07:47 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

Good morning, wish I could help you there Norma but can't. Thank heaven I have never gotten any bitter spinach. I like most all of the greens, not that crazy about Mustard but do eat it mixed with other greens.
I don't have a disposal wish I did. But other than meat I usually take veggies out back of garage and dump them for the racoons. Don't know if the fox/deer eat any of them but it is there if they want it.
Old 02-13-2010, 01:37 PM
Four Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I do try my best 2 take all veges, fruits, breads, misc. outside 2 feed 2 1 animal or another. The meats I do save 4 the neighbor who then feeds it 2 his dogs...

Norma, have u tried some soul season and apple cider vinegar yet??
Old 02-13-2010, 04:51 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

I put out bread anytime it is stale for the birds. We have a store here that in the summer it sells old bread solely for you to buy for the ducks. We have a lot of ducks around here as well as geese