Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Home & Garden > Frugal Living

Frugal Living Whether you are searching for frugal dinners or just want to learn how to save some money, this is the forum you want!

Old 06-27-2008, 05:23 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Have any of you ever heard of freecycle?

In another thread, we started talking about the merits of giving stuff away, and I thought about this:

A few months ago I found a WONDERFUL way to share stuff I no longer need. My BIL's girlfriend told me about freecycle...maybe you already know about it in your area. If you go to http://yahoogroups.com and do a search for freecycle, you might find one in your area. Basically, people post notices via email, and they go out to others on the area's list. For example, last week I posted a notice, and in the subject field, I put:
OFFER: stereo rack, no stereo, Hudson, Ohio 44236

It was picked up THAT DAY by a very nice older gentleman.

Or, if you're looking for something, you'd send a note to the list, saying for example:
WANTED: non-stick cookware

I have all those emails going into one folder, and when I have some time, I go through them all.

I've listed several things so far, and they've all gotten picked up by very nice people in the area who really need stuff...all within 24 hours each time! Beats having to haul it all to Goodwill or waiting for Amvets to come get it!!!

I have been much more aggressive in getting rid of things as a result of this list, because I know my stuff is going to people who are really going to use it. And it keeps usable stuff out of the landfills! Waste makes me crazy....I could go on and on about the reasons that freecycling is a good idea.
Old 06-27-2008, 05:26 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Freecycle is AWESOME. When we were in Vegas I used it all the time. Here I don't use it as much, maybe because I got rid of everything already. LOL!

I definitely agree that it's a great way to get rid of stuff and give it a new home while finding goodies for yourself as well!

visit my blogs:
Amanda's Cookin'
Crafts by Amanda
Old 06-27-2008, 08:51 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I have also used our local freecycle group. Mostly I use it to give stuff away, especially when I see a "wanted" post. Those challenge me to think about whether I have that item and whether I actually use it anymore.

I did score a cool pizzelle maker once and some metal "retro" signs for my kitchen.
Attached Images

Old 06-27-2008, 10:54 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Here in Canada Freecycle is wonderful too......I have given away many things and have also gotten a few nice things the latest being a beautiful ceramic nativity set.

Barb those metal signs are awsome!!!

Hugs dEbbie

Guard well your spare moments. They are like uncut diamonds. Discard them and their value will never be known. Improve them and they will become the brightest gems in a useful life."
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Old 06-27-2008, 11:33 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

My favorite thing that I got on freecycle is an older Hoover vacuum cleaner. So...now I have one upstairs and one downstairs. No more lugging "Big Blue," as my kids call it, up the stairs!

I've given away clothes, cookware, lots of stuff. SUCH a good idea....kudos to whomever started freecycle.
Old 06-27-2008, 12:16 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
I loved our FreeCycle better in Pa. but I do use ours here in NC once in a while. I've received some really cool things from there!

CraigsList is another great place!

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 06-27-2008, 12:40 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

We have it here but haven't used it yet.It is a good thing to use though.
Mish
Old 06-27-2008, 05:17 PM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

I love both freecycle and craigslist!
Old 06-27-2008, 10:25 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Addict

I use our local Freecylce a lot, mostly to give stuff away too. A few people never showed up when they said they would but most have and one lady even left me a thank-you note for something that I had left on the porch for her when I wasn't home. I had'nt heard of craigslist, so will have to check that out.
Old 06-28-2008, 07:40 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Craigslist is great, but be careful of scammers. Craigslist is items for sale, a classified ad site. It's truly a great place, but it you are selling a higher priced item (furniture, vehicles, etc) you may get contacted by someone asking to pay via western union or cashier's check and have a delivery company pick it up. Don't do it! I only accept CASH and people MUST come pick up the item. That's the best policy with craigslist. They even have it posted on their site.

I am on "no mail" with freecycle right now, but will be going back on shortly as I do have some stuff to get rid of.

I use craigslist here, but it's not that great. No one puts their phone # in the ad and they never respond to the emails. No one takes their ads down when they get rid of their items either, they just let them expire. In Vegas it was awesome, because people move in and out of there so much you can ALWAYS find cool stuff for sale at very reasonable prices. Like a virtual garage sale, I loved it. I wish it were like that here!

I used to list things on craigslist in Vegas and have it sold within a couple of days. I have things on craigslist here that stay on the entire 45 days and I never get an inquiry. :-P

visit my blogs:
Amanda's Cookin'
Crafts by Amanda