Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Old 05-01-2003, 03:33 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Frugal Vacation Ideas

DH and I want to use some of our tax refund to take a short vacation this summer while the kids are away.

I recall that my sister got a lot of cash at her wedding a few years ago, and they decided to splurge and take a short trip to the Bahamas the following weekend. They got one of those last minute deals (1 week notice) with the price being 2 for 1.

I'm looking for something in a warm climate, CHEAP, all-inclusive or not. Anybody know where I should be shopping or thinking of visiting? Our vacation would be in late June.

Thanks, Dawny
Old 05-10-2003, 10:03 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

You can't beat a Las Vegas vacation for the money. There are all kinds of deals out there. We are not gamblers, but we took a cheap trip, and did all the free things we could find. There are lots of free exhibits, a ride through Red Rock Canyon (may not interest you, since you live in Tx). There's definitely something for everyone! Try www.travelzoo.com and get a weekly newsletter for cheap trips of the week.:p
Old 05-10-2003, 10:21 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

cheap vacation

I just booked a two bedroom condo in Hilton Head Island, SC for $650.00 for the week. A good site is vrbo.com or vacationrentals.com. These are condos for rent by owner-less expensive with no middle man. There is good golfing, beaches www.vrbo.com[/URL] and fine food in HH.
www.vacationrentals.com
Old 05-10-2003, 11:14 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Check with a travel agent.. they know all the deals.... and you don' t pay for the service..

"A hundred years from now, it will not matter the sort of house I lived in, what my bank account was, or the car I drove....but the world may be different because I was important in the life of the animals and the creatures on this earth."
Old 05-10-2003, 11:17 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Why not check out some of our national parks. One year, we went to Alabama and stayed in a state park there. It was WONDERFUL! We rented a cabin for VERY Cheap....and it had a kitchen in it. It was outside of Huntsville so we went to the space center there. It was quiet, out of the way and was a wonderful time...can't beat the scenery!
Old 05-12-2003, 07:15 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I'm with Charlen, can't beat LV! Hubby likes to go once a year but I can't stomach it that often. Where else can you get a room for $39 a night, buffets to please anyone, and all the people watching you can handle *FREE*. There's something for everyone, who says you have to gamble. But if you like to and still have a tight budget, stay off the strip and go downtown. Nickel slots and $1 tables are everywhere. Hoover Dam is just a couple hours away too.

Almost anywhere is warm in the U.S. in June, how about St. Louis? Lots of friends have been there with and without kids and they can't say enough good things about it.
Old 05-12-2003, 07:17 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Hey silly me-how about Chicago in the summer!!! We've got the lake front, great museums, parks, and you can't beat the festivals practically every weekend...and they are everywhere!
Old 05-13-2003, 03:35 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Thanks for all the ideas, especially the websites! DH wants to lay by the pool or on the beach for a few days. He's not really into sightseeing on this trip, but I'm sure he'd be up for a good play or some movies. We really need a break from the kids and the regular crazy routine!!! thanks, dawny
Old 05-13-2003, 07:37 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Would any one know of a site where swapping homes for a week /2 weeks is done?

Don't ever know if anyone would like to swap with us, as we live in the wide open spaces of MT, but I think it would be fun to exchange homes with someone , example ...New Mexico/Texas.

Joy
Old 05-14-2003, 12:46 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Hi Joy,

There ARE some sites online where you can exchange homes for a period of time. Do a search on google.com Sorry I don't have the URL's handy but I AM in Texas

Kitty