Thrift Finds - Page 2 - FamilyCorner.com Forums
Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 02-03-2003, 05:22 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I love the way you said that, look beyond the obvious. Wow, that's EXACTLY what it takes. Sounds to me like you're craftier than you give yourself credit for. What store do you work for??? I think they're lucky to have you.

Katie
Old 02-04-2003, 06:46 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie

I volunteer once a month at the local thrift store--it's part of "We Care Ministries" and is operated by the local churches. They helped us out a few times over the last year, so I volunteer to kind of "pay it back". I love working there--it's a blast! The stuff people donate is amazing, everything from furniture to clothes and toys. I've got a lot of stuff for free, simply because they don't have room to store it and it would just be thrown out, anyway.

I don't consider myself a crafty person, not compared to others. I don't crochet, knit, draw, stamp, etc. I can sometimes create something, but mainly stick to writing poetry lol!!
Old 02-04-2003, 02:21 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Wow, poetry!!!!! That's a gift in itself. Lucky you!!!!

Katie
Old 02-05-2003, 05:14 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

AJR's Mom Personally I would be contacting Goodwill hdqtrs about the waste at your local Goodwill! That is inexcuseable. I recall a few years ago seeing a 20-20 (type show) about some sisters who were convicted of taking money from Goodwill (they all worked for them) so they take waste and fraud seriously.

That said I can now say I wish we HAD a Goodwill! I live in a small economically depressed town in North Carolina and the only thing it offers is a place called the Union Mission. It has some wonderful bargains but it also goes fast. I miss the Goodwill! I used to shop there for the grandkids before we moved here for dh's job. I am inspired now though to check out the little town just up the road in Virginia to see if they have anything.
I love a bargain!
My next favorite place to shop is on ebay. I just bought my granddaughters 2 dresses, a pair of leggings, a sweat shirt and a pair of overalls with tweety on the front fo $1! I have to pay shipping of course but it's still a fantastic bargain. I found it 2 minutes before the auction closed and no one had bid yet. I buy almost all of the grandkids clothes on ebay since they outgrow/tire of them so quickly. I'm a sort of veteran shopper of ebay and have only been burned once--and that was actually dh's transaction. Postmaster General was involved since several others were also taken and that was some time back. I'm just very careful to check feedback before placing a bid. I don't care how good the deal looks if they don't have good feedback I don't bid.

Jayne

Editor of FREE Penny Pincher freebie newsletter:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/LOLPennyPincher/

Subscribe: [email protected]

Special Member of the Family
Become an Honorary Member

Old 02-07-2003, 04:21 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

thrift store finds

my dd loves to wear the same clothes no matter how old they are, so I always just get rid of some things, but I just cant get rid of her things because she is 6 now and knows. we went out to the thrift stores to get her some new things and my favorite one has these little tags with different colors. all garments have a different color tag on them. Each day certain colors are half off the written price onthem. On sat. all colors are half off. We found 7 dresses, 2 of them were hand made and did not look worn even once, and one of them had a matching purse. We had lots of fun, we also bought 4 t-shirts and it all cost 12.50. It was great finds that day, but sometimes you dont find the goods. Glad to see thrift store shoppers here.
Old 02-08-2003, 04:02 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie

Today is my day to work at the thrift store--I'm hoping to grab a white dress shirt for ds1 and a pair of shoes for ds2. I can never seem to find them, though lol!! I also have some shelves in my kitchen that I'm looking for those "certain somethings" to put up there. I really don't want baskets! Or tins! They're close to the ceiling, so I need larger scale stuff than what I have already. Wish me luck lol!!
Old 02-08-2003, 11:37 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Good Luck to you! I never seem to have the luck to find exactly what Im looking for when I set out to shop like that....although I did get my son's jeans the last time I went to S.A.

I have big shelves in my kitchen too. Last year while hunting through a yard sale, I came across an old fashioned scale-it is pinkish in color and rusty ( just love how it looks!), it still works too! Fits perfectly on the shelf. I also have tall,empty bottles that once held balsamic vinegar and red wine vinegar, a pair of very old tart pans ( found them in this great little junk store where the man spoke hardly any English and he probably thought I was nuts for wanting them). I also have 2 very old tins from my Grandmother--one filled with little plastic toys from my childhood and the other filled with the dominoes that we used to play with! As you can tell, I love country stuff.....how is your kitchen decorated?

Hope you found some great stuff! Gee....I feel a trip coming on again! ;-)

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 02-09-2003, 06:46 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

kitchen decor

My kitchen decor is country too. Up on high cupboard shelves I have an old washboard I got at a garage sale , Some real old neat tins filled with some old silverware of my grandmas, old mason jarsetc... I collect old salt and pepper shakers, and new farm animals ones as well, all displayed on cute country oak shelves. I have some cute little country dolls, and knick knacks. We plan on expanding the kitchen, so Ive held off painting. I want to paint around the trim a country blue, and find some wallpaper to put on the bottom half of the wall.
I used to have a BIG country kitchen till we moved into this farmhouse , and I miss it so much!!!!
Old 02-09-2003, 07:47 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

my best thrift finds...

I love Salvation Army... but the best is the other local resale shops when they have bag sales. $5 for a 13 gallon sized garbage bag to fill. I once came away with a baby sling, a leather jacket, 3 pairs of Levi's 501's, kids gap and old navy clothes, a skirt from Dillard's with the original $45 price tag on it, and another skirt with a $20 price tag on it! It was 2 bags worth... $10. DH flipped his lid at first b/c he thought I had spent a ton of money... He quickly changed his tune when I figured up the cost of what those items would have been in the regular stores! He now goes with me to these shops and looks for things that HE likes!
Old 02-10-2003, 04:04 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie

Oh--I just loooove those bag sales! I always go without the kids, so I can concentrate on finding things instead of keeping them entertained.

I didn't find the things I was looking for, but I found a few odds and ends--two pairs of leggins in my new smaller size that will make comfy pj's, and a few books.

We just repainted our kitchen--white cupboards and upper walls, off white bottom walls w/ an oak chair rail. There's oak molding around the doors and windows. The floor is like a blue/gray/beige/off-white color(all the colors are swirled together--it looks like smoke does). It used to have country blue plaid wallpaper, but I grew to hate it lol! All my kitchens have been done in country, and now I'm just looking for a change. I'm thinking of filling the shelves with huge pieces of colored glass--bottles, plates, pitchers....to add a bit of color, and it's something a bit different than what everyone else has.