Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Old 07-08-2002, 06:06 AM
FamilyCorner Admirer

What they don't tell you at Theme Parks!

A good friend and I just returned from bringing 4 children to Six Flags in Houston. It was a sweltering 108 heat index. I'm not a big water drinker but I definitely craved water, and alot of it. They sold bottled water for $2 and it wasn't very cold. My friend informed me that it is a six flag rule or law that requires them to provide a cup of ice water for free upon request to any patron.

Throughout the 4 day stay we estimated that the six of us consumed approx. 66 cups of ice water. Now the way I figure it is that we saved $132 (not including tax) just on beverages alone on this trip. That alone was enough to cover almost two nights of hotel fees. Don't misunderstand, we still got sno-cones, lemonade and a few other drinks but for the most part we just wanted water and it was free thanks to my friends tip to request a cup of ice water instead of a bottle of water.

Just thought I'd share this with you and I hope that it helps to make your next theme park vacation just a little more affordable.
Old 07-08-2002, 07:10 AM
Special Member of the Family
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Wow!!! That's amazing! Dd just got back from Six Flags.....wish she would have known that. Although they had free tickets and took a cooler in the car........
Old 07-08-2002, 09:18 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Im glad to hear you did so well there.

Recently, our Air Force Reserve base had their yearly air show and you werent allowed to take any coolers or containers of water, soda, ect...... this was done as a safety precaution due to 9/11. To me, this was understandable but I was hoping ( not expecting) that the vendors and the employees of the base would understand and present lower prices. NOT ! It was $2.50 for a can of soda or bottle of water and $5.00 for a hamburger !

It was so hot and humid the last day that people started collapsing from the heat. Only then did they start handing out water to everyone.

How are you supposed to support community events when an average family of 3 or 4 cant afford to pay that price for stuff ?

This makes me mad !!!
Old 07-09-2002, 10:28 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

What they don't tell you at Theme Parks

Hi: What a great idea. Thanks for sharing. Our childen are all grown, but we do visit Disney World occasionally. I know this works at Hardees and Burger King Restaurants, even if you don't buy anything. I just do through the drive-thru when I'm thirsty and near one of them.
Old 07-10-2002, 02:42 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I gave my sister this tip. They are going to Six Flags today. She is not very frugal though. She buys her water from the store all the time anyway. At least she has the information to make a choice.
Old 07-10-2002, 03:21 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

This is in reply to the Air Force Reserve activities where they would not let you bring in coolers or drinks. I'd complain to the Base Commander. My children remember yearly Open House at the Army Base where I worked and we had no such problemw tih drinks or food. I worked for the military as a civilian employee, my husband is retired military and I know they listen. Ask all your frineds to complain too. One person can make a difference. Locally, I've helped stop a striptease club one mile from my house and got our road fixed when they widened the main hwy and made a mess of the entrance to our road. You would turn into the road off the hwy, and immediately turn left onto our road. We now have our own entrance, making two different roads. One person can make a difference. It only took two phone calls to resolve the road issue. On the striptease club issue, a local State Representative was also working with the homeowners in my community which I did not know. I'll let him take the credit. The important thing is I complained and something was done about it.
Old 07-19-2002, 05:59 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

didn't they have any water fountains there? I think they do at the one near atlanta.
Old 01-11-2004, 02:09 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I know Hershey Park has very high prices. During the smmer you are not alloed to take outside food / drink inside the park, but during "Christmas Candy Lane" you can. We stop at our local convience store and grab hot cocoa....(not as cheap as making it at home, but more convienient ) The mugs of cocoa at Hershey were like $ 4-5 each.

BTW, the amusement park in Houston is no longer "Astroworld"? Just curious...I grew up in Alief and it just seems wierd.

Hugs and Blessings,
Cathy

Admit your mistakes so that NO ONE else can exaggerate them
You can NOT amputate your HISTORY from your DESTINY~ Beth Moore
Old 01-11-2004, 03:58 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Thanks for the tip. My daughter's 8th grade class goes to Six Flags Chicago for their class trip. I've heard nothing good from parents of older kids who've already gone. They all say it is absolutely outrageously expensive. One girl took $15 and couldn't afford both lunch and a snack and they were there for 10 hours.
I wish the school could think of somthing a little more reasonable as so many people in our area are unemployed right now.
Old 01-25-2004, 10:52 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Six Flags in Valencia CA

Yep, they to are so expensive. We used to bring out own lunch and drinks and had to leave in the cooler in the car. Once, I had the 3 kids and I and we bought burgers, fries and a drink each and it was $28.oo!! And I think I didnt even bought myself a fry. That and the price to get in was about $35 an adult- sheesh. Disney land in CA is the same way, very expensive. I guess they have to maintain the park and pay everyone some how. Both places were alot of fun tho. Yep, they should say, bring at leat $100 spending money for one day.