Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Old 08-12-2002, 08:54 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

cheap treats!

Living on a budget can be tough -- especially whenyou want to give yourself a small treat but you conscience won't let you.

One thing I liketo do is go to Burger King and get a milkshake. They aren't much at all, the cheapest one is just $0.99. My favorite is the new "loveshake" (hee hee). It tastes like chocolate covered cherries and is sooo good.

Anyone else do something similar?
Old 08-13-2002, 12:19 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

some of my favorite treats

I do that kind of thing, too. Here are some of my favorite treats:
Beauty treats:
press-on nails (@$3)
bubble bath
foot lotion & scrub (lotion & a loofah $1/ea - dollar tree, use many times)

Like you said, the milkshake, or a slushy, or even a small candy bar or something when you've been out running errands you didn't want to run! Strawberries or melon. A homemade milkshake with fresh or frozen fruit, or jelly.

Herbal tea - from home grown herbs so it's cheaper and fresh!

A nice smelling candle burning while I do a chore improves my attitude about the chore. ;-)

Allowing myself some time for a book or movie or to sit outside.

For the kids, I like to spontaneously break out the bubble stuff or I have a book where you make stuff like clay, slime, etc. from household items and I'll pick something from there that I think I can "tolerate" the mess.

I used to like to pick up a "just because" greeting card to give to my DH - a treat for both of us because it was so fun to pick out.

I'd love to get more ideas from what other people do for cheap treats, pampering, etc.
Old 08-13-2002, 07:26 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Grape home-made frozen Kool-Aid popscile. We put 3/4 cup sugar or less rather than a full cup. Gives it more of a grape punch rather than super-sweet taste.
Old 08-16-2002, 08:43 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I am a SAHM of a 9 month old girl so we also live on a budget. I keep my own private list of things that I would like to have. It isn't much; Maybe a new face wash or a new craft item for a project. And when i feel like i need to reward myself, i pull out my list and pick something and then I tuck my list away until next time. Ofcourse always seems to get longer before it gets shorter. Have a great weekend!!

Cody
Old 08-16-2002, 09:05 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Hi Everyone,

My special treats are, when I'm out running errands, I like to stop at StarBucks and get REGULAR coffee. It is a treat for me because paying that much money ($1.59 or so....) for a cup of coffee seems rediculous. But it taste so good.

Another treat, I really love, is a bread at one of the local grocers (Vons), Kalamata Olive Bread. Oh, it's out of this world.

I am always buying myslef (and the kids) licorice. At Orchard Supp. Hdwr., they have 2# bags for $2.99. I have lately been buying 2 or 3 at a time.

OK enough food treats..........oh, jalepeno poppers............

Non food treats, nail polish, hair color, and little craft items that are under a dollar. I love the craft store. I could live there with my coffee, bread and licorice and of course, goes without say

m&m's !!!!!

Thanks for letting me share my little joys...........
Old 08-17-2002, 06:08 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Treats

My favorite treat that I reward myself with after exercising is a diet soda with diet ice cream in it (chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream). YUM!
When I get the urge to shop, I hit the dollar stores. Also I like to shop at Walmart on Sunday mornings around 8 o'clock and I usually find one or two clothes items on clearance.
I also like to shop at Goodwill, it just feels so good to get a bargain and a lot of their stuff is brand new with the tags still attached. Although I think their prices have gone up. A dress is now $5.99. Seems like they used to be about $3.00.
My best reward is to just kick back and play on the computer for the afternoon.
Old 08-17-2002, 10:04 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

re:CHEAP TREATS! and more

Basic Frugal Food frugalliving.about.com
&Make Your Own Recipes

love and god bless,
kay
Old 08-17-2002, 10:38 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Mulberry,

Perfect!!
Old 08-17-2002, 12:31 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

well where i'm from in the UP of michigan the hardees has daily specials my fav is sunday the roast beef is .99 i wait for it all week as fast food is soooooo expensive..it's my weekly treat....do not go for the special everyday though i was at that point once and now it'll take 5 years to get the ex pounds off!!!!!!.now just one on sunday........oh oh today is double cheeseburger day...........no i have to wait......one a week...one a week keep saying it..........................................
Old 08-17-2002, 06:08 PM
Special Member of the Family
Honorary Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

when I am really watching my budget ( I should be doing it every day but I slip from time to time) I will as a treat get myself a $.25 can of soda at the super market. It is the store brand but it tastes so good nice and cold.
Other times I go shopping at the goodwill, I recently got a fondue and have not used it but found fondue fuel for $.50.
I also keep an eye on the convenience stores since they often will have specials on their beverages. Sometimes it is their coffee (Wawa has great coffee) or their fountain drinks, like the magnum size for less then a dollar (I think it is like 44 oz)
I also got around and collect all the change around the house and cash it in and buy something we would like or need at the supermarket.
Finally the Pizza shop on the corner runs a special of a large plain pizza (16") for $5. I do not think I can make a lg pizza for $5 once I am done w/ the sauce and the dough and the oven and the cheese! What a nice evening for me.
Ruth