How does your family have fun and stay frugal? - Page 2 - FamilyCorner.com Forums
Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

View Poll Results: How does your family have fun and stay frugal?
We already take part in many of the activities from the article 10 58.82%
We've done a few of the activities from the article but I've picked up some new ideas 4 23.53%
We don't seem to have many of these options mentioned in the article available to us where we live 3 17.65%
I have some more frugal activities to share that weren't mentioned in the article 3 17.65%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-24-2008, 05:10 AM
Welcome Wagon Moderator

Amanda, it came with my Kodak Easy Share camera. But, I have been able to take photos I scanned from other sources and turned them into coloring pages. So, it isn't limited to just the camera's pictures. But, I bet there is other software out there or even online.

Is is a sample from my profile photo:
Name:  BobbyFamilyColoringBookA.JPG
Views: 106
Size:  141.6 KB
Old 07-24-2008, 05:22 AM
FamilyCorner Fanatic

THAT is totally cool, I will have to search something out to do that!
Old 07-24-2008, 04:01 PM
Nine Year Member

We take advantage of anything that is happening in our area, that is of interest to the family and utilized the discount nites etc. For the most part, we have scaled down our activities and have movie nites with friends. The library lets you check out DVD/videos for free here and they are getting a good selections.
Old 07-24-2008, 08:53 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyCorner
THAT is totally cool, I will have to search something out to do that!
That is so awesome! If you find something please let me know!

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 07-25-2008, 08:26 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Way to go Bernice keep up the good work.
Craftchick
Ceci
Old 07-25-2008, 07:26 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Free or Almost Free Entertainment

Hi:
Year round, I enjoy Bluegrass jams, which are free or we give a donation of $1. The musicians all play just for the fun of it, play by ear, and mix gospel music in with the Bluegrass. All ages play from 3 yr. olds to 87 yr. olds. Anyone can join the circle of musicians. Every night of the week, I cold go somewhere close to home to Bluegrass Jams, but I choose one 10 miles from my home during the week and one 45 miles from my home on the weekend. I combine that weekend trip with a visit to friends who live near that Bluegrass Jam. We have dinner together each Saturday night and then I go on to the music.
I participate in activities locally with the senior adults from a church near me. I found this group when the advertised, at the senior center, that they would change the oil in your car free for single women! What a deal! That saves me $35 every 3 months. I just have to call when I get the postcard and make an reservation on a Saturday. They do not take donations, will take people to help change the oil. Due to the reservations for the oil change, they make sure they have the make and engine size for your car so they know which oil and filter to order. Then, once they change your oil, they invite you to join their Singles Group at night and the Singles Sunday School Class. Last week, we met at the farm of a member, 45 acres, 12 miles out of town barn with living quarters above it and a beautiful pond. There is no obligation to do that when you have your oil changed. I've joined the Singles group at night.
My local church has many free activities including Dinner & a Movie on a Sunday night. We give a donation and bring a covered dish. The public is invited too. A movie is selected, then the covered dish is in keeping with a theme of the movie, such as the country which is displayed in the movie. The church invites us to look at recipe site on the Internet to get n idea for a covered dish. Neat idea.
I watch the newspaper, think it is worth the subscription price, for local free or almost free events. I also get the Sunday paper coupons which I use. Due to my asking friends for their coupons, and their giving them to me, I save 90% most of the time on my groceries.
My senior friends call me when they see a great deal in the newspaper and I do the same. This last week, a car dealership gave away a $20 gas card for taking a test drive. An insurance agent gave away a $10 gas card for coming in and getting a quote. Since their quote was $200 less than I'm currently paying, I became a customer. If I refer others and they become customers, I get a $10 gas card for each person! Yesterday, the local senior apartment complex, luxury, had an Open House. My friend called to inform me and I made a reservation, free. The buffet we were served included jumbo boiled shrimp, wine and cheese, fresh fruit and chocolate eclairs as dessert along with tea and a woman playing the grand piano in the dining room.
As the wife of a deceased military man, I belong to a few military auxiliaries. We have many free events throughout the year and do a great service to the retired military, active military and their families.
Old 07-26-2008, 06:50 AM
Seven Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

blushing

Today began early, my husband was going to buy new windows for a small bathroom, we have been renovating on a budget, a very small budget, while he was sleeping in, I took the 2 slide windows out side with a bucket of soap and steel wool, they look brand new again.
Way to save money, he was impressed and glad we didn't have to pay the $150.00 for the new windows. My total cost .20 cents.
Craftchick
Ceci
Old 07-26-2008, 06:56 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Another thing we like to do is get together with other friends and just hang out. A lot of times we'll play games, maybe we'll all bring a covered dish and have a sort of carry-in (which also helps with the cost of food - for at least that meal). A lot of times it's more fun to catch up and visit with friends plus the boys get to play with friends their own age.
Old 07-26-2008, 07:25 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Wow some very good ideas.I do try to watch the newspaper to see what cool stuff is going on.I have a coupon book with some coupons to use up too so that is a big help.We do have the free concerts and parks too.I think it is great to be able to find stuff to do with the kids that is low cost and close to being free too.
Mish
Old 07-26-2008, 08:35 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Hi Craftchick:
I find, in most cases, women are more creative and frugal than men. Years ago, men may have been the big inventors, like Thomas Jefferson and Benjamim Franklin, but women are doing it now. My granddaughter won the invention convention for her county when she was 12. The state gave her a patent good for a year. Her Mother didn't have the money to develop it. After a year, Hotpoint pickec up her idea and they now have it on their stoves, a buner that goes on when you put the pot on it, and goes off when you take the pot off.