Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Old 01-19-2003, 07:09 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Cake icing

I too can't stand buttercream frosting!! This is what I use on most of my cakes,its so good. As a matter of fact ,I now make everyones Bcakes since everyone prefers this to any store bought,including ,whipped cream!

4 0z. cream cheese
8 oz. container cool whip ( or store brand)
1 sm. box instant pudding mix ( what ever flavor you want,
French Vanilla is great )
1 C whole milk

Whip cream cheese til fluffy, add instant pudding & milk
continue whipping til all is fluffy.
Add container of cool whip with mixer set on low.
When all is blended well, frost cake.

I hope you enjoy it !!
Old 01-19-2003, 09:37 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

icing

Marshmallow Icing Recipe

1 cup of granulated sugar

1/4 pound of marshmallows

1/4 cup of water

1/2 teaspoonful of vanilla extract

The whites of 2 eggs

Boil the sugar and water (as in making foundant) to 240 deg F. Pour in a fine stream upon the egg whites, beaten dry, beating constantly meanwhile. Beat occasionally until cool; add the marshmallows cut in four pieces, each, and the vanilla. This makes a light, fluffy icing that will not run from a cake.
Old 01-21-2003, 02:53 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

lautton2002
that sounds good! does the pudding need to be sugar free? does it make a difference?

for those recipes that call for egg that are not cooked - don't forget the safety issue that goes along with eating raw egg

If a man says something and no woman hears it....is he still wrong?

Well, nobody's perfect - Osgood E. Fielding III
SOME LIKE IT HOT (1959)

My FC Member Awards!

Hey, I won!
Old 01-21-2003, 05:27 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I've decorated cakes for years, and even worked in a grocery store bakery at one time. I don't make my own frosting (except for carrot cake) anymore.

I purchase Rich's "Bettercream" or "Pastry Pride" from the local cake decorating store (that's what the bakeries use). I used to be able to get it at Smart n Final in California (before they opened I got it at a cake decorating store), now in Virginia, I'm back at the cake dec store. I imagine a restaurant supply store would have it as well.

It ain't cheap, but its SOOOOO easy to work with, you just whip it up with your mixer, no stabilizer needed. Nothing to add. Non-dairy, too. I'm a total tightwad, but a quart costs about $5-$6 and does two 1/4 sheet cakes, and I still think its worth it. Comes in chocolate, too.

Old 01-21-2003, 08:15 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I took a Wilton class years ago and we used recipes for regular, buttercream, whipped cream and fondant.
Don't remember how to make them but all were INCREDIBLY YUMMY and so much easier to work with than anything you could ever buy in a store. Much cheaper too.

Maybe someone has the recipes and can post them for you.
Old 01-23-2003, 02:26 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I buy a whipped cream type frosting mix at Smart & Final. It's called Frostin' Pride and comes in a quart size carton just like milk comes in and is frozen. It comes in vanilla or Chocolate. You just let it thaw in ref. and beat it up with mixer. You can color it and decorate with it and it taste just like whipped cream but is non dairy.