Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Old 03-20-2002, 03:20 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Recipe For Whipped Cream Frosting?

"I have been tasked to make my Granddaughter's 1st birthday cake. No one in our family likes the SWEET sugar frosting, so they want me to decorate the cake with a whipped cream frosting, like "cool whip topping". I have not been able to find a recipe for one. Can you help me?
Thank you
Lee"

Does anyone have a recipe for whipped cream frosting that they could share?
Old 03-20-2002, 04:14 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Try these:

2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup milk
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup shortening

Cook flour and milk over low heat until thick. Cream together sugar, butter and shortening until smooth. (Sounds greasy, but it is good and mixes in.) When the flour mixture is cool add a small amount to the sugar mixture and beat. Continue to add small amounts of the flour and milk mixture to the sugar mixture until it is all mixed in. Whip until it is has the texture of whipped cream. This is best when it is made a few hours or the day before.

OR

For Regular Whipped Cream:

1 cup (236 ml) heavy whipping cream
1 tablespoon (14 grams) granulated white sugar

For Chocolate whipping cream add to the above:

1 1/2 tablespoons cocoa and an additional 1 1/2 tablespoons (20 grams) granulated white sugar

For Raspberry whipping cream:

Make the whipped cream

Add: 1/2 cup (118 ml) lightly sweetened raspberry puree, at room temperature

This is a foolproof recipe for whipped cream. If you need to make this early it can hold in the refrigerator for several hours. Cocoa can be added to make chocolate whipped cream or raspberry puree can be added for a wonderful fruit flavored whipped cream.

In a large mixing bowl place the whipping cream and sugar and stir to combine. Cover and chill the bowl and beaters in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes. When chilled, beat the mixture until stiff peaks form.

For chocolate whipped cream add the cocoa powder and additional sugar to the above mixture and chill for at least one hour so the cocoa powder has time to dissolve. Beat the mixture until stiff peaks form.

For raspberry whipped cream: Make the whipped cream but beat only until soft peaks form. Then add the sweetened puree, a little at a time, and beat just until stiff peaks form when the beater is raised. Taste and fold in more sugar if required.

To make the raspberry puree: Place a large fine meshed strainer over a bowl and thaw 1 - 12 ounce (340 grams) bag of unsweetened frozen raspberries. This will take several hours. Gently press the berries to force all the juice from the berries. All that should remain in the strainer is the raspberry seeds. Add approximately 1/3 cup (66 grams) of granulated white sugar (or to taste).

Adapted from Cake Bible by Rose Levy Beranbaum

Makes 2 cups of whipping cream
Old 03-21-2002, 01:48 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Another...

Thank you for the recipes Shawn! I will pass them on

Okay, I have another request regarding frosting:

" I made a cake the other day, and the frosting was cream cheese and a 1 lb box of powdered sugar. It was good but way to sweet for me. Can you tell me how to do it so it is not so sweet??
~ Arleen"