Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > Relationships > Family & Friends > Friends

Friends Friends can be the lifesaving voice on the end of the phoneline, or in many cases, the end of the keyboard.

Old 02-27-2009, 10:51 AM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

We have a cottage on an island in Maine. Two years ago, I decided to have a "girls only" weekend at the cottage. I invited my best friend, my sil and her dd (my neice), my dd who invited one of her friends, and my neice invited a friend. The only male on the island was my dog. We had an absolute blast. We went swimming, kayaking, walked for ice cream and did all kinds of fun things. It was the most fun i have had in a very long time. We all agreed that 'what happens that weekend at the island, stays at the island) so when I came home and my dks and dh asked what we did, all i would do was smile and say we had a lot of fun. That is all they got out of me. It drove them crazy!!! It was one of the best weekends ever. We all tried to get together again last summer but could not coordinate a weekend so are going to try again for this summer. A weekend away from dh, my dks, the house etc. was just so worth it. (there is a picture of that weekend in my FC photo album)

~Mother Theresa

Old 02-27-2009, 08:04 PM
Two Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I have a great time with my friend Amy at an annual fishing derby here in town. We met 15 years ago at a derby, we didn't win but we have a ball each year egging each other on. I am in IL and she up near Chicago. We look forward to derby each year.
Old 07-30-2009, 05:01 AM
Two Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Can I share a girl friend of mine (she's not a beau) but my beau's friend. We go out the 4 of us together at weekends doing barbecue in the backyard.
Old 10-21-2011, 03:11 PM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSJEn6891 View Post
I met one of my bests friends in Irvine College (CA) in 2004, during a Human Development night class we both signed up for. Nancy was working on current educational information for her Kindergarten Teaching requirements, and I was just starting on my Early Childhood Development Teaching Certificate (although I was also taking schoolage educational classes on weekends and over summers). We use to spend our down time (before/after classes) at a local coffee house around the corner from campus - discussing homework, her job and my volunteer work, our home life, and life in general. There were more moments then not where she would do all the talking and I would listen, and other times where I would get a word in edgewise. As I think back to those times I admire her for a lot of "stuff" she was going through then and how I was able to just be there for her. A recent road trip that took me back through California recently reminded me of those memorable conversations, and how I wish we lived closer so we could "work" things out over coffee - even if it's only long enough to pick up the coffee, HUG, and say "see you later" or "call me." Now a days we barely have time to get three texts out to one another in a 12 hour day... but she's always a heart beat and a prayer away.
My more recent favorite memory of a time w/an adult girlfriend happened within the past two years. My Dh treated us to a trip through the Butchart Gardens where we walked about some of the most Beautiful flowers and plants we had the joy of seeing and smelling... and modeling in front of. Before we left she rubbed the snout of a metallic boar statue, the locals say brings good luck to those who do. What makes it the most memorable, is all we have left from that trip with her are the pictures we took of her rubbing that statue - I was going to call and ask her if she wanted to go to a local event with me over the weekend, but alas I remembered that she can't in the life time
If you see someone in need of help and you can do something, then do something — that goes for people and animals. If you can help out, try. That’s what I hope people take away from this.” -Alex Scroggins
Old 10-21-2011, 06:19 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

One of the most recent good times was Mar of
this year in Amish Country with Gina & Steven.
Had a wonderful time~~ love Amish food
Old 10-22-2011, 06:49 AM
Assistant Moderator
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Last winter I went to Wanakee Wild Women Winter Weekend. Wanakee is the Methodist summer camp here in NH that also has a log cabin for year round retreats. My best friend and I went for the women's winter weekend for my 50th birthday. The only rules for the weekend was that no work was to be done at all - the only thing you could do was play. We went hiking and watched chick flicks, went sliding and snow shoeing. You could choose to do everything or nothing at all. You could stay in your jammies all day if you chose to. The food was amazing! All the cooking and cleaning was done for us so we weren't even allowed to clear our plates away from the table. We played games and did crafts, had a book swap and it was the absolute best weekend ever! I made some great new friends as well. Needless to say, I am already looking forward to the weekend retreat again this year and it also falls on my birthday again! Can't think of a better way to celebrate turning 51!

~Mother Theresa

Old 04-20-2013, 09:30 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Maniac

Well have several but one sticks out
lots as we Susie & I went off for our b'days
and rented a small cabin right beside a beautiful
lake full of ducks and swans. No TV so we spent
our time "being tourist" eating out, reading or just
talking. We bought stuff to feed the ducks/swans.
Was a great 3 days
Old 04-20-2013, 05:58 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

before moving to NC, while still in FL my best friend and I would get together at her apartment for dinner.. sometimes we'd go to a movie too.. but dinner was the best part-we always had steak w/mushrooms and onions, baked potatoes with all the fixings and corn on the cob. Then we'd fix some kind of decadent dessert.. brownies w/ caramel/chocolate/marshmallows or a banana split or hot fudge sundae.. we'd do that at least once a month but sometimes more often.. It was my night away from the kids and dh..
Then in 1991 we decided to take a trip to Disney World without the family (mine)she's was single. Went for three days, shared the expenses (even though I couldn't really afford it). My kids were visiting our families in NC and I left dh at home alone. It was kind of my bd present to myself.. We had a blast and I really wish I could do it again.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:36 AM
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Before I moved over here, I and a friend used to go out for lunch and sometimes dinner. We went to Door County a couple of times and up North once. We also went to an outdoor country music concert for three days of music. Lots of fun.

Over here, I have met some ladies over the internet and we have gotten together 4 times and had lots of laughs and fun. We don't know if we will ever be able to get together again as one has a dh who is getting dementia, one has to get a knee replacement and is waiting for permission from the insurance co. The one from Texas has a dh who is finally recovering from serious health problems but can't do much of anything. He has been in and out of hospitals and rehabs the last several years.
One has had financial problems and a couple more have dh's with health problems.
We do email and so stay in touch.

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.
Thomas Jefferson
Old 04-21-2013, 11:53 AM
Four Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Happy face

Miss going out with a friend of mine where i use to live actually another state,we would always go somewhere as we still talk and try to stay in touch as much as we can.Made many new friends here and am always going out and doing something as i've become active here in my new community.
Attached Images