Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Fourth of July Share your craft ideas, recipes, games, party ideas, and more!

Old 06-24-2003, 07:01 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
What are your plans for the 4th of July?

We arent making big plans this year because my DH has to work the weekend of the 4th. Since he works the lovely 3rd shift, he will have the previous Thursday night off and then go back to work Fri. night and Sat. night.

We live close enough to where they are launching fireworks so maybe we will be able to see them from our house.

We already have our flag flying proudly!!

A cookout wouldnt be a bad idea though.

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 06-24-2003, 08:39 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

We are doing too much this year I think.

The 29th my church has a special get together after Sunday night service, [pot luck and games and music] and fireworks

The Sat. after, my oldest daughter has a big get together. and fireworks

On the 4th, we are having a BBQ at my mom's. and fireworks.

These are all alot of fun. I am just very depressed this year, my oldest son [in the Marines] was supposed to be home for the fourth and he is not going to get to come until the end of August.
The 4th of July is his birthday!!!!! He will be 20. It's the only time I have not seen one of my kids on their BD.

I will get to talk to him on the phone at least.

Last edited by graceygrammy; 06-24-2003 at 08:42 PM.
Old 06-24-2003, 09:28 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Location: Originally from the Home of the only 6 times Super Bowl Champs!
Gracegrammy, Im sorry to hear that you wont see your son for his birthday. Im am glad you will get to talk to him though. Im sure he misses you as much as you miss him!

Do me a favor when you talk to him...please tell him Happy Birthday from my family and tell him that we send thoughts, prayers and a big THANK YOU for everything he and his fellow Marines are doing to protect us and fight for our country!

Have a great time at your parties and enjoy the fireworks!!!

Tami

Visit my blogs **

Tami's Kitchen Table Talk

Simple, easy-to-cook family recipes
and lots of good conversation!

Join the Cookie Carnival!
On Hiatus

If you love baking cookies, join our group!

Old 06-25-2003, 04:59 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Thanks so much Tami, and I will give him your messege. I hope your family has a wonderful time too. God Bless.
Old 06-29-2003, 07:33 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Pinkie Winky Our plans for the 4th

Sorry to hear about you not sharing your son's actual b-day. But I know that when you do get together you will enjoy each other that much more BTW, please tell your son thank you from myself and from my family. We appreciate his sacrifices and the sacrifices of all of our brave men and women who serve our country!

Anyway, I am looking forward to an old fashion 4th. Complete with watermelon seed spittin' contest, apple-pie eating contest, 3 legged race, and the game "chubby bunny"! LOL
I guess as far as food hamburgers, potato salad, coleslaw, corn on the cob, watermelon, chips, deviled eggs, baked beans and black raspberry pie. Later after the fireworks we can make a fire and roast hotdogs and marshmellows.

Maybe Lord willing we can visit a local state park the remainder of the weekend or something. We are near Gettysburg, so a day trip there is also a possiblity!

Admit your mistakes so that NO ONE else can exaggerate them
You can NOT amputate your HISTORY from your DESTINY~ Beth Moore

Last edited by Irish Angel; 06-30-2004 at 09:25 PM.
Old 07-02-2003, 12:29 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

My two nieces will be in town this weekend and we always go down to the lake. The small country parish there has their picnic on the fourth weekend so we always attend that and help out by either working it or giving them our money! My daughter's birthday is the 5th so we will celebrate that also.

Graceygrammy, I will echo both ajrsmom and morelia92 in saying to tell your son Happy Birthday and a big thank you for all he is doing for our country. I know it is hard on you to miss his birthday and I am sure it is hard for him, knowing no cake or however you celebrate it.:mad:

Children have never been very good at listening to their parents, but they have never failed to imitate them. Baldwin ~
Old 07-02-2003, 05:08 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Breaux Bridge is having their annual celebration "Fete de Pont Breaux".

It will include a parade of floats down the bayou, lots of games along with crafts and food being sold on the banks of the Bayou Teche. When it gets dark enough, they have a fantastic fireworks display.

This year, Ali Landry is the Master of Ceremonies...or should that be Madam/Mistress of Ceremonies? She is bringing her finance', Mario Lopez with her. They will be signing autographs for 2-3 hours in the afternoon. (Breaux Bridge is Ali's hometown)

I'd like to go to the festivities but won't unless DH gets back from off-shore in time to go with us.

It is always crowded but with Ali & Mario there its really going to be wall-to-wall people!

I won't go into a crowd like that with just myself and the two DS. I just wouldn't feel comfortable.

If DH doesn't make it home, I guess we'll stay home and maybe invite some friends over for a BBQ.

ALso, I need to clear it with DS # 1's doctor when I take him for his 2nd post-op follow-up tomorrow. He may advise us to not go as DS could get bumped in the face!
Old 07-02-2003, 02:41 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Trinity Fest 2003

I will be working a booth to promote my direct sales business at Dallas' largest 4th of July Festival, Trintity Fest. We have to set up at 7:00 and the gates don't open until 2pm. Then we can not break down our booth until midnight! I better buy some no dose and tons of sunscreen. I am hoping it will be well worth the day of hell though! . DH has to work but gets off at 6:00 so him and some other friends will be joining me there then so we can be together.

TX Chef Fran
Old 06-30-2004, 09:40 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

This year I had a couple options to choose from but opted for a calmer one
The VORHES family reunion is July 3rd (mom's side of the family) We hadn't had one in awhile and it's nice that they are doing them again. I however will not be able to attend. It is a 3 hour drive.
Our therapy dog group is also holding a "shake ~n~ bake" sale that day. The dogs will be there to meet the pubic. Our group displays and education is patriotic themed and really neat. In fact one of our hand outs talk about the dogs who served in the military. There are 2 monuments is Gettysburg
We on July 3rd however plan to drive to RAYSTOWN LAKE as a family and have a picnic, playgames, walk, fish, ect. To just BE together as a family. I pray it all goes well.

July 4th at I plan to cook out at home. I prefer to stay home as the parks are pretty crowded. I love our back yard so I look forward to it!

That day we will attend church, cook out, play games and just "hang". Later in the evening we'll head out to the fireworks! We usually are able to park and walk to get great seats~

The games I HOPE to get everyone to play?

*3 legged race
*popcorn relay
*egg and wooden spoon
*tug of war
*balloon toss
*seed spitten' (eww lol)

Menu on the 4th?

~Jalapeno burgers
~tangy potato salad
~deviled eggs
~baked beans (this is Delia's fav. so hopefully it will "sooth" her attitude??
~some kind of Patriotic dessert

I also hope to get those round shaped (I forget what they are called) red, white and blue hangings as well as fresh yellow ribbions. My other ribbon had been on our tree for over a year and it had had it. Fresh ones are in order!

What are you all planning this 4th of July?
I really like the old fashioned traditions. Do you all have or remember any?

GOD BLESS THE USA

Old 06-30-2004, 09:42 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I almost forgot...

gracygrammy...

Once again please extend our birthday wishes to your son!