Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Food Safety: Keeping Food Fresh Ideas relating to canning all types of foods, can also cover freezing for preservation, long term storage, avoiding spoilage and other safety concerns.

Old 01-27-2004, 12:45 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Postaholic

Emergency and Storm Preparedness

With the bad winter weather we've been having, we're getting intermittent power outages. My neighbor and I have been putting our heads together today to figure out how we'd handle an extended power outage with our 2 families that include 5 children ages 12, 8, 7, 3, and nearly 2.

In preparation for a possible power outage I got the camp stove out and found the propane tanks. I also found the propane lantern and all our candles. All of these are within easy reach. We also have a nearly full propane tank on our gas grill.

My neighbor has a fireplace and plenty of wood.

The van is full of gas although if it gets icy I won't be using it!

There are enough sleeping bags to go around and we have plenty of food too.

Are there any other things we should be doing to get ready?
Old 01-27-2004, 12:57 PM
BoggsZ

barbszy, Sounds to me like your all ready for a emergency if need be. We do about the same things make sure the cars are full of gas, We also have a fireplace so the wood is ready, We also keep jugs of water ready just in case because we have well water and it wont work if theres no power. Stay Safe and warm everyone
Old 01-27-2004, 01:32 PM

Boggz-

That's a good idea about the water jugs, will have to mention this to my sister as she has well water too. They can't even flush without electricity.

I've seen this suggested before, I think nagymom might have mentioned it during their hurricane season last year but it's worth repeating. Make sure you have playing cards and or board games to keep yourself occupied during power outages. I would also keep a good stock of candles on hand and make sure they are in a safe container either the one they came in or a mason jar (light candle, drip melted wax into the bottom of jar) and affix candle to jar and put in a safe place where it won't cause a fire.

Anna
Old 01-27-2004, 01:51 PM
FamilyCorner Fanatic
FamilyCorner Fanatic

Dont forget batteries for flashlights and radios! During our blackout this summer we used the flashlights and went for a walk, it was like being at a campground! Water is a good idea as after a few hrs. much of the area was on a boiler alert for their water! This was an extreme blackout but still.......You never know
Leighann
Old 01-30-2004, 09:09 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

I have lots of food and water storage, year round for any type of emergency!

I started a couple of years ago, buying necessary items for survival in many possible situations. We have camping equipment as well as a cast iron dutch oven, in case we needed to cook on an open fire. It is important to have some way to start a fire in case you have to, so we bought fire starters as well. My DH's sister is LDS, so we were able to buy wheat and freeze-dried and dehydrated foods at a nice discount. We still have a long way to go toward true preparedness, however, we are working on it!

I sure hope nothing bad happens, but if it does, we feel much better prepared than we used to.

Jenna
Old 02-03-2004, 08:40 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I'm somewhat prepared. We have wood for the woodstove, stockpile of food and candles, games, toys, etc. The only thing I have trouble storing is water.

Right now we buy bottled water for consumption because the water in town here is full of iron. When we move in the spring to the country we will have well water and a water softener. I read somewhere that you shouldn't drink softened water either.

As for storing water, even bottled water, I have a hard time because I do not like letting water sit around for more than a month. I always believe it will grow something in it.
It is just a weird quirk I have:p Kinda like the one where my brother will only eat bread on the day he bought it.

I do keep snow and rain water for other uses though, just don't like to store drinking water.

wildflower
Old 09-08-2004, 10:19 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Hurricane Frances just left Florida. This preparedness tips has been mentioned and would like to break it down. Before buying batteries check what kind of batteries you need. I bought 2 1.9 volts batteries only to find out that the radio that needed this battery quit working on me. I am down to my second radio, which I did not check the kind of battery that is needed. Luckily, I had previously bought some earlier for spare. I have plenty of Ds, 2AA, 3AAA, and 1.9 volts. Notice that these batteries are not the kind that I needed to keep my radio going to listen for the weather update. We have no Electric and we are bored. We sat down and played domino and this is the first time that the family sat down and played game together. Second day of the Hurricane and we are hungry foods in the freezer and halfway defrosted. We cant cook inside because we only have charcoal. Not sure if we can light outside because the wind is too strong but we are really hungry. Propane stove burner would have been great if any. We need ice for frozen foods and cant find any.

Get:

1 Propane/Gas Stove burner for inside cooking incase if winds is too strong to cook out.
2 of each type Batteries check which type are needed
2 Portable radios the second radio is for back up.
3 refillable water jug may varies depends on your family members
2 ice coolers for drinks and perishable foods.
Ice

Ivan is coming.
Old 09-08-2004, 11:11 AM

lrevetz

Frances is now in our state, Ohio and in WVA. God be with you and we pray that Ivan blows off at sea. Let us know how things go when this is all over.

Anna
Old 09-08-2004, 04:29 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Fanatic

I have ridden out more hurricanes and tropical storms than I care to even think about!

This may sound excessive but this is what my parents taught me (by example) to have on hand when a storm is headed your way:

Enough bottled water to last your family for a full week.

Enough food on hand such as tuna, spam, cold cuts, vienna sausages, pork & beans, potted meat, bread, crackers, etc.... (foods that do not require cooking/heating to eat) to last for a minimum of 4 days. Also boil a couple dozen eggs to have on hand for eating.

A flashlight with good batteries for each family member - plus at least one extra set of batteries for each flashlight. It is also nice to have some Coleman lanterns to burn for light. Candles are good too when used properly. Around here, they sell what is called "Hurricane Candles". They are big, thick, slow burning, unscented candles. I have about 12 of them.

At least one radio (two is better if you have teens) that can be played off of batteries....try to have one good set of batteries in it with at least two extra sets since it may be your only link at times to what is going on in the outside world.

Fill up as many empty milk jugs with water as will fit in your freezer and put them there. They will help keep your items cold should your power go out. If the power does go out, only open the freezer or refrigerator when absolutely necessary.

Get a couple of coolers. Ice down some boxed drinks, juices for family members in one. In the other, put as many bags of ice as it will hold. That ice may come in handy later.

Keep some things on hand for family members to do if the power goes out - board games, a few decks of cards, dominoes, crayons, drawing paper etc.. They will help pass the time during daylight hours.

Also, it is a good idea to scrub out your bathtubs really well and fill them with water. You can use this water for handwashing (scoop out what you need each time) and also to flush the toilets.

Fill your propane tanks...but it is not recemmended to use propane indoors due to the fumes and explosive factor. You can use your propane to cook on your gas grill or camp stove outdoors after the storm has passed if you are without electricity.

I think this about covers it................
Old 09-09-2004, 04:53 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Groupie

Cindy

What is the best thing to use if I hafta cook inside because the gust of wind is too strong to even go outside? I went to WalMart yesterday hoping to find a stove burner and could find none.