Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Food Safety: Keeping Food Fresh Ideas relating to canning all types of foods, can also cover freezing for preservation, long term storage, avoiding spoilage and other safety concerns.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 03-09-2002, 07:58 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

OAMC Cole slaw

Hi!

Is it possible to freeze cole slaw? Does anyone have a recipe that works well? I would appreciate a low fat version.

Or do you have any kind of recipe for salads with raw vegetables that I can freeze?

~Asa in Sweden
Old 05-20-2003, 06:49 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

My recipe for a "killer" coleslaw is very old and very simple.

Shred a head of cabbage. Place in a large bowl. Salt well and toss with your hands. Alow to sit for about 15 minutes to "sweat", then drain.

Add celery seed to taste (if you want to) and toss, then add mayonnaise to taste (if you want low-fat, use low-fat mayo, but it doesn't taste as good ;-) ). Refrigerate for about an hour and serve.

Coleslaw cannot be frozen because the freezing process makes the raw cabbage go "limp" and makes the mayo separate. Texture and taste become "yucky."

Most raw vegetables cannot be frozen because of the texture problem. Freezing breaks down the cellulose. cooking changes the texture, and most blanched or cooked veggies can be frozed with no problems. You might try blanching peas, green beans and diced carrots, freeze until needed, then use them to make a quick pasta salad using a low-fat salad dressing. Pasta doesn't freeze well, and you'll have to prepare it at the last minute.

If I need to make a lot of coleslaw, I get the bags of shredded cabbage. It works fairly well, but isn't quite as good.

Cheerio!
Elizabeth
Old 05-21-2003, 11:35 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

My mother used to make a frozen cole slaw. I will see if I can find the recipe and get it to you.
Old 05-21-2003, 11:44 AM

Canned Cole Slaw

I just found this recipe yesterday, you might try it. I'll be checking another source I saw a recipe for freezing on.

CANNED COLD SLAW

 1 large head shredded cabbage
 1 cup diced celery
 2 cups shredded carrots
 1/2 cup diced onions
 2 cups sugar
 1/2 cup vinegar
 2 tsp. salt
 1/2 tsp celery seed
 1/2 tsp. mustard seed
Mix last 5 ingredients. Then mix everything. Put in jars, screw hot lids firmly. Process in boiling water bath 10 minutes. (I have had trouble getting the jars to seal because the ingredients are cold....make sure your lids are very HOT and your jars are HOT too. Once I did this, I had no trouble!)

Anna

Last edited by AnnaInOhio; 05-21-2003 at 12:26 PM.
Old 05-21-2003, 11:51 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

fozen slaw

I will have to look for it , but I think I have a frozen slaw recipe. It is a vinegar (sweet/sour) base, not mayo based slaw.
Old 05-21-2003, 12:31 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Anna,

Although I wasn't the original poster I must thank you for your recipe.

My grandmother used to make coleslaw using vinegar and sugar and I lost her recipe. So, I am very excited to try yours.
Old 05-21-2003, 12:38 PM
BoggsZ

OSI

Hi How many Pints does that recipe make? I think I will try that I am getting ready to can Pinto Beans so might as well do this to thanks
Old 05-21-2003, 01:27 PM

Thanks LisaHVA and Karen,

Unfortunately I don't know much about this recipe. I got it off the net yesterday from one of my newsletters but don't remember which one, it also gave a recipe for cream of mushroom soup canned, I copied them to my disk for later use. I think I got it from Wanda Lynch at Phancypages? not sure.

Anna
Old 05-21-2003, 04:08 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I used to work at a restaurant that made coleslaw...here's my version of what they had. I use pickle relish that I make myself, so if anyone wants the recipe for that, let me know.

CHARLENE'S COLESLAW

1 medium head of cabbage, shredded or chopped finely
1 medium carrot, shredded
* 1/8 tsp celery seed
* 1 c sweet pickle relish with syrup included
* 1 1/4 c Miracle Whip Salad Dressing
* 1/2 Tbsp prepared mustard
* 3 Tbsp sugar

Mix ingredients well. Ingredients with an asterisk (*) may be adjusted to the individual's taste, but add only a little at a time.

Yield: 8 - 12 servings

Charlene, mother to five

When God closes a door, somewhere he opens a window.
Old 05-21-2003, 04:41 PM
BoggsZ

sharlibird

I would love the relish recipe thanks again.