FamilyCorner.com Forums

FamilyCorner.com Forums (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/)
-   Food Safety: Keeping Food Fresh (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/food-safety-keeping-food-fresh/)
-   -   Can you freeze already-made gravy? (https://www.familycorner.com/forums/food-safety-keeping-food-fresh/8113-can-you-freeze-already-made-gravy.html)

ajrsmom 09-02-2003 06:46 PM

Can you freeze already-made gravy?

I plan on making meatloaf for dinner next week. My family likes it with gravy instead of any kind of tomato toppings. I figured since I was making some already, why not make extra & cover with gravy before freezing....kinda like those freezer meals. Will this work?

Im going to try the muffing tins for the meatloaf. Ive read that many people on here say it takes a lot less time to make this way.....I can use all of the extra time I can get these days!! ;-)

Also, when you make this in the muffin tins, Im assuming that you bake them first and then freeze or do you freeze them in the tins and pop them out to store, then bake? HHHMMM?!?

Sally Smith 09-03-2003 08:44 PM

Meat Loaf

I've made meat loaf in muffin tins, I always go ahead and bake , then freeze them after wrapping them individually. I think it might be best to do it this way because of all the ingredients you add to meat - probably a good idea to cook it first - sometimes I bake use a loaf pan and slice and freeze individually by the slice - be sure to wrap each slice well with foil - then put all those slices in freezer bag - (same for muffin servings) makes for quick meals.

ajrsmom 09-03-2003 08:58 PM

Will do! Thanks a lot!!

:daisy: :-D

Tami

GRANDMAANGEL 09-04-2003 05:55 AM

FREEZING MEAT LOAF

I live alone, and frequently cook "normal" sized meals and pop in the freezer. Meat loaf is one of my favorites. I, too, bake in muffin tins -- quicker and portion control! lol After they are cooled a little, I just put them all in a gallon-sized ziplock bag and pop in the freezer. There is so little moisture in them, they barely even stick together. Then I can take out 1 or 2, warm, and dinner is rolling!

I don't use gravy on mine -- preferring ketchup instead :-P:: ; however, there are a lot of frozen entrees which have gravy on them (including biscuits and gravy for breakfast), so I can see no reason why this wouldn't work for your family. If it's a cream gravy, there probably will be some separation due to the milk in it, but just stir after it's warmed up!

Good luck, and God Bless You!:-P::

claudjam 09-04-2003 09:10 AM

I don't see why you can't freeze your meatloaf with gravy on it. We freeze bacon gravy all the time for my niece and nephew when they come to visit and all they have to do is defrost it in the microwave and put it on biscuits.

lisadoffin 09-04-2003 09:47 AM

freezing gravy, meatloaf, etc...

I agree, freezing gravy is perfectly fine, but always remember to put items in the refrigerator first to get them cold, then transfer to the freezer. Putting things like meatloaf in the freezer before doing this can lead to an unpleasant case of food poisoning... unfortunately this was learned from experience:(

ajrsmom 09-04-2003 10:13 AM

Thanks for all of your great tips.

I will bake them first, pop them into the frig. to cool and then into the freezer. This will make one dinner time a little easier! :-D

Tami

Thanks for the cooling tip too. I have had food poison before and it is no fun!! :(

Jeannie 09-04-2003 01:55 PM

We are a 2 people household.. so I'll make a meatloaf and slice it into portions, and wrap individually when the meat loaf is cold.
I make gravy as I need it... ..

Georgieanna 09-07-2003 07:30 PM

I make my brown gravies from a roux and I find when I freeze a dish, that when I defrost it to reheat, the gravy has somewhat thickened and I have to add a tiny bit of water to it. But I'm talking about 1 pot casseroles I fix so it may not be the same for meatloaf. I'd rather make meatballs than meatloaf which is actually the same difference as far as I'm concerned. :rolleyes:

lisadoffin 09-08-2003 07:56 AM

I was just curious about what kind of gravy you ladies are making for your meatloaf. I usually do a ketchup or chili sauce topping on mine but would love gravy ideas/recipes. Do you use the drippings or what exactly to make the gravy?

Jeannie 09-08-2003 09:17 AM

Lisa.. this is my meatloaf....

1 1/2 lbs of chopped chuck...or (80/20 mix)
1cup herb Pepperidge farm stuffing... ( more if you like)( blue bag)
1/2 cup diced green peppers (optional)
1/2 cup caramelized onion ( optional) or 1/4 teaspn onion powder
1 - 8 oz can Hunt's tomato sauce
1T Worcestershire sauce
1/4 teaspn pepper
3 eggs

Mix all ingredients with with 1/2 of the tomato sauce...

Put mix in loaf pan.......pour remaining tomato sauce over the meat loaf
Bake 400 degrees for 1 hour....

For gravy....

Melt 2 T butter in a fry pan, (If you have pan drippings add them) add enough flour to absorb the butter, cook a few min, then add 1cup water or low sodium beef broth. Stir and cook and if you want a thinner gravy, add more broth. Add a 1/2 teaspoon Kitchen Bouquet seasoning. Stir, taste... add salt and pepper if needed. Serve over meat loaf and potatoes.

I like this gravy because I can make it any time I want and control the salt content. I find packaged gravies too salty.

lisadoffin 09-08-2003 11:20 AM

Thanks for the recipe Jeannie. I'm going to make your meatloaf soon and definitely try the gravy when I do. I'm starting a class two nights a week and I want to be able to cook some meals ahead and package them for my husband when I'm not able to be there. Thanks again!

Jeannie 09-08-2003 11:38 AM

kewl!.. let me know how you like it....

I slice and individually wrap the left over meat loaf in plastic wrap, and freeze in a freezer bag. This way, I just take out as many slices as I want.... *s*

I have a great pot roast recipe to make in the crockpot if you would lke that...*s*

lisadoffin 09-08-2003 11:41 AM

Thanks again! I would LOVE your pot roast recipe. That is truly one of my very favorite meals. I love it even more the next day in a sandwich or all chopped up in a pot pie... yummers!

Jeannie 09-08-2003 12:31 PM

3 1/2 -4lb rump roast or cut of your choice
1- McCormick or Schilling Bag 'N' season for pot roast {save the bag for another use]
1 1/2 - 2 cans of low sodium beef broth
1/2 package of onion soup mix
4 ounces Hunt's tomato sauce..

[Combine contents of seasoning packet with 1 1/2 cans
of beef broth and onion soup mix]
Enough carrots peeled and cut on the diagonal to cover the bottom of the crockpot4
Enough quartered potatoes to cover carrots and more if you need more potatoes
Place browned pot roast on top***
Pour liquid mixture over the roast
Cover and cook low 8 hours.

***Flour the roast l and brown in a little oil in a pan before placing in crock pot, this will enhance the flavor of the meat*

If you are home...let it cook 1-2 hours on high then put on low.....

Sueanne 09-08-2003 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Georgieanna
I'd rather make meatballs than meatloaf which is actually the same difference as far as I'm concerned. :rolleyes: [/B]
Like to freeze meatballs so that I can eat them with spaghetti & sauce. If you cook meatballs they are a little drier than a meatloaf since they are cooked all around and added to sauce. Meatloaf is thicker & wider and baked in the oven making it moister in the inside. I usually add oatmeal,eggs,peppers & onion to meatloaf would not add these to meatballs. Guess everyone cooks different ways.

Jeannie 09-08-2003 02:09 PM

Hi Sueanne.. I do that too! How are you? I was getting worried about you....where've you been? *s*

Sueanne 09-08-2003 03:11 PM

Hi Jeannie,
Have not been on for awhile had trouble with my computer. Called that I could not get online when they got thru with me erased everything. Said I had gone on 9,500 sites in three years erased them all even took out all my cookies to log back on. Made me download my program again still had problems getting on the web. After hours working with them just clicked on system restore to the last day it was working and here I am. Afraid to use the new program they sent me was terrible not being able to get online. Glad to be back enjoying myself with you girls. ^^

Jeannie 09-08-2003 03:32 PM

Sueanne.. ok... as long as it was technical difficulties beyond your control. It's really good to see you posting! *s*

lisadoffin 09-09-2003 07:43 AM

pot roast recipe from Jeannie

The pot roast sounds great! Thanks for sharing the recipe!