Can you freeze already-made gravy? - Page 2 - FamilyCorner.com Forums
Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Food Safety: Keeping Food Fresh Ideas relating to canning all types of foods, can also cover freezing for preservation, long term storage, avoiding spoilage and other safety concerns.

Old 09-08-2003, 09:17 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Lisa.. this is my meatloaf....

1 1/2 lbs of chopped chuck...or (80/20 mix)
1cup herb Pepperidge farm stuffing... ( more if you like)( blue bag)
1/2 cup diced green peppers (optional)
1/2 cup caramelized onion ( optional) or 1/4 teaspn onion powder
1 - 8 oz can Hunt's tomato sauce
1T Worcestershire sauce
1/4 teaspn pepper
3 eggs

Mix all ingredients with with 1/2 of the tomato sauce...

Put mix in loaf pan.......pour remaining tomato sauce over the meat loaf
Bake 400 degrees for 1 hour....

For gravy....

Melt 2 T butter in a fry pan, (If you have pan drippings add them) add enough flour to absorb the butter, cook a few min, then add 1cup water or low sodium beef broth. Stir and cook and if you want a thinner gravy, add more broth. Add a 1/2 teaspoon Kitchen Bouquet seasoning. Stir, taste... add salt and pepper if needed. Serve over meat loaf and potatoes.

I like this gravy because I can make it any time I want and control the salt content. I find packaged gravies too salty.

"A hundred years from now, it will not matter the sort of house I lived in, what my bank account was, or the car I drove....but the world may be different because I was important in the life of the animals and the creatures on this earth."
Old 09-08-2003, 11:20 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Thanks for the recipe Jeannie. I'm going to make your meatloaf soon and definitely try the gravy when I do. I'm starting a class two nights a week and I want to be able to cook some meals ahead and package them for my husband when I'm not able to be there. Thanks again!
Old 09-08-2003, 11:38 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

kewl!.. let me know how you like it....

I slice and individually wrap the left over meat loaf in plastic wrap, and freeze in a freezer bag. This way, I just take out as many slices as I want.... *s*

I have a great pot roast recipe to make in the crockpot if you would lke that...*s*

"A hundred years from now, it will not matter the sort of house I lived in, what my bank account was, or the car I drove....but the world may be different because I was important in the life of the animals and the creatures on this earth."
Old 09-08-2003, 11:41 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Thanks again! I would LOVE your pot roast recipe. That is truly one of my very favorite meals. I love it even more the next day in a sandwich or all chopped up in a pot pie... yummers!
Old 09-08-2003, 12:31 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

3 1/2 -4lb rump roast or cut of your choice
1- McCormick or Schilling Bag 'N' season for pot roast {save the bag for another use]
1 1/2 - 2 cans of low sodium beef broth
1/2 package of onion soup mix
4 ounces Hunt's tomato sauce..

[Combine contents of seasoning packet with 1 1/2 cans
of beef broth and onion soup mix]
Enough carrots peeled and cut on the diagonal to cover the bottom of the crockpot4
Enough quartered potatoes to cover carrots and more if you need more potatoes
Place browned pot roast on top***
Pour liquid mixture over the roast
Cover and cook low 8 hours.

***Flour the roast l and brown in a little oil in a pan before placing in crock pot, this will enhance the flavor of the meat*

If you are home...let it cook 1-2 hours on high then put on low.....

Old 09-08-2003, 01:10 PM
Nine Year Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Georgieanna
I'd rather make meatballs than meatloaf which is actually the same difference as far as I'm concerned. [/B]
Like to freeze meatballs so that I can eat them with spaghetti & sauce. If you cook meatballs they are a little drier than a meatloaf since they are cooked all around and added to sauce. Meatloaf is thicker & wider and baked in the oven making it moister in the inside. I usually add oatmeal,eggs,peppers & onion to meatloaf would not add these to meatballs. Guess everyone cooks different ways.
Old 09-08-2003, 02:09 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Hi Sueanne.. I do that too! How are you? I was getting worried about you....where've you been? *s*

Old 09-08-2003, 03:11 PM
Nine Year Member

Hi Jeannie,
Have not been on for awhile had trouble with my computer. Called that I could not get online when they got thru with me erased everything. Said I had gone on 9,500 sites in three years erased them all even took out all my cookies to log back on. Made me download my program again still had problems getting on the web. After hours working with them just clicked on system restore to the last day it was working and here I am. Afraid to use the new program they sent me was terrible not being able to get online. Glad to be back enjoying myself with you girls.
Old 09-08-2003, 03:32 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Sueanne.. ok... as long as it was technical difficulties beyond your control. It's really good to see you posting! *s*

Old 09-09-2003, 07:43 AM
Eight Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

pot roast recipe from Jeannie

The pot roast sounds great! Thanks for sharing the recipe!