Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Food Safety: Keeping Food Fresh Ideas relating to canning all types of foods, can also cover freezing for preservation, long term storage, avoiding spoilage and other safety concerns.

Old 06-30-2003, 11:13 AM
A Member of the Family
FamilyCorner Admirer

Question Keeping Extra Virgin Olive Oil Fresh

Okay all you food experts out there. I have a question...

My husband just purchased a 2 liter bottle of Extra Virgin Olive Oil. I thought I read somewhere that it will "turn" if it isn't stored correctly. If this is true, how should I store it? In a cool, dark place or in the fridge perhaps? How long will it keep?

Actually, I see I have three questions!
Old 07-09-2003, 07:58 PM
A Member of the Family
FamilyCorner Admirer

Thanks Shawn!

That was a very interesting article. Better information than I had found! Now I know what to look for to determine the quality of the oil I buy.
Old 07-10-2003, 04:40 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

I use olive oil a lot in my cooking and store mine in a dark dry place (my kitchen cabinet.) I find that we like the tast just as well, if not better than conola oil, which I use most of the time, because olive oil is so expensive.
Hope this has been of some help to you.

Edna
Old 07-10-2003, 05:55 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

It's really not too much of a problem because I use it all the time, but I always keep it stored in my dark pantry. It's best not to buy too big a bottle or can unless you use it a lot. Do not put it in the refrigerator!
Old 07-11-2003, 12:55 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I saw on TV, probably on a cooking show, but it may have been on the health news that if you add garlic cloves to olive oil and place in the fridge to have the garlic flavored oil that it produces a terrible germ that is very bad for you. They said if you were to do this, not to keep it over 4 days. I'm sorry I can't remember where I saw this, but I wanted to pass this along so no one would get sick from this.
Old 07-17-2003, 10:31 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Store your olive oil in a cool dark place ( like a wine celler) or you can refrigerate it. It will be cloudy when you remove it from the refrigerator, but will clear up as it warms to room temperature.
Do not store it by the stove or the oven. Heat is its enemy and the oil will go rancid.

The container is also important. Do not store in plastic, use either glass or a stainless steel oil can, called a fustino.
Fustinos are expensive... around $100.00. The oil cans with pouring spout run from about 30 dollars and up.
I've attached a picture of a fustino. It holds one gallon.

An excellent olive oil will cost upwards of $1.00 per ounce.
Depending on where the groves are, the oil will vary in color and taste. You'll have to experiment to find the one you like.

California is producing excellent olive oils as well, and even though I am Italian, olive oil doesn't have to come from Italy to be good.

Buy two or three different brands in very small amounts in GLASS bottles to try them. A little goes a long way because of it's flavor, so don't over do. Try an extra virgin olive oil dipping sauce. The possibilities are endless. Use a good quality Italian or French bread or rustic bread. Olive oil and white bread just doesn't go together. *chuckle*

Enjoy experimenting... laugh and make every trip to the kitchen a happy one. Make it an adventure. Try something new! If it works, terrific, if it doesn't, oh well...what have you really lost? *s*
Attached Images

"A hundred years from now, it will not matter the sort of house I lived in, what my bank account was, or the car I drove....but the world may be different because I was important in the life of the animals and the creatures on this earth."
Old 07-17-2003, 04:09 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Question

Jeannie, I like Bertolli Classico 100% pure olive oil, full bodied & mild, is what they say on the label. I also get the extra virgin oil olive sometimes using the same brand. They sell it in a plastic container. Why would they do that if it's the wrong way to store my olive oil? I'm not being smart, I just want to know if it's safe or if I should buy a container to store it in. Thanks!
Old 07-17-2003, 05:17 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Bertoli is a large commercial line olive oil.. a gallon is around 15 dollars in discount stores. It's a large producer and it's ok. They do, however have oil in glass bottles... You will not find a high grade olive oil packed in plastic bottles. Look at the oil shelf in a super market or specialty store.

See if the more expensive oils pack in plastic. High quality olive oil is packed in dark bottles. That's not to say that some of the cheaper ones aren't. The large commercial producers will try to mimmick the smaller more exclusive oils. The olive oils I use come in glass.

It is believed that oil stored in plastic will, over time, absorb chemicals used to make the plastic, since Olive Oil CAN be stored for more than 2 years.

You can decant the oil into dark glass or a fustino if you are purchasing in plastic. I also use an oil can.... *see pic*

Just a personal note... I prefer milk in glass bottles too, instead of plastic. I think it tastes better and doesn't have that plastic smell to it. That's why I purchase the brand of milk that packs in glass.
I also buy my olive olive oils in no larger than a liter.
Attached Images

"A hundred years from now, it will not matter the sort of house I lived in, what my bank account was, or the car I drove....but the world may be different because I was important in the life of the animals and the creatures on this earth."

Last edited by Jeannie; 07-17-2003 at 05:21 PM.
Old 07-17-2003, 09:43 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Jennie, can you recommend a brand to me that doesn't have too stong of a taste? When I was young, my mama used to buy Progresso brand and I bought it too when I married. I one day decided it tasted really awful and that's when I tried some other brands. I'd appreciate it if you could tell me also if what you recommend comes in a smaller size. No more than a quart. I appreciate you helping me. Thanks!
Old 07-17-2003, 10:39 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

I really would rather not recommend because my taste may be different than yours. You like 'mild'.. look for an oil that has mild in its description....

Some oils have herbal undertones, some citrus, some floral and some are musty. You'll just have to try until you find the one you like.

You can get very small bottles and try several.... maybe start with DaVinci Extra virgin and Pompeian... you can find it in the supermarket... try the smallest bottle/s..

Like wine, the flavor of a particular brand of olive oil can change from year to year.

Last edited by Jeannie; 07-17-2003 at 10:56 PM.