Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Food Safety: Keeping Food Fresh Ideas relating to canning all types of foods, can also cover freezing for preservation, long term storage, avoiding spoilage and other safety concerns.

Old 03-16-2003, 01:04 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

ACK! DD unplugged the deep freeze!!!

I'm guessing it's been off for about 24 hours!!! I just now noticed the little light was off! Some of the stuff on top has thawed... it's cold, but thawed. The stuff in the bottom is frozen, with some light thawing.

Is my food okay????
Old 03-22-2003, 02:11 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Had the same problem years ago when my oil company cleaner my heater and unplugged my freezer to plug in his shop vacuum cleaner and forgot to replug my freezer. I didn't notice it for hours later. I call my co-op extension office and was told if there was ice crystals in meat, just refreeze and use within 30 days. If meat was totally defrosted to cook it and refreeze or use right away.

I went a step further, I marked the crystalized packages with a magic marker so I would use them first. Everything was ok, we used the hot dogs and ground beef up right away and refroze the rest. None of my family got sick and the meat tasted good so I guess their advice was correct. Good luck
Old 03-22-2003, 02:11 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Yes your food should be OK. Everything that's not rock solid should be moved to the fridge and cooked. Keep the freezer door closed until it regains its normal operating temp. And put some duct tape over the plug so it can't come unplugged again

Good luck --

GramZ
Old 03-22-2003, 02:12 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

What a horrible feeling as I have had that happen to me. The meat that is thawed already I would cook up and then refreeze. If you have canning jars you could can it also. If you have berries of any kind maybe make into muffins and freeze or make jelly or jam. The meat that isn't thawed totally can be frozen again.
Old 03-22-2003, 02:56 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Food that has defrosted should be cooked and refrozen... ( get some cooking done then you'll be free!).... I was told that as long as the food has crystals on it, you can safely refreeze it without any problem.

"A hundred years from now, it will not matter the sort of house I lived in, what my bank account was, or the car I drove....but the world may be different because I was important in the life of the animals and the creatures on this earth."
Old 03-23-2003, 05:48 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

I feel so bad for you, as I know what a mess it can be!! We have had it happen to us twice now, both during electical storms, outages. As everyone has said, if it is still frozen or cold with ice crystals still on it, it is ok. When we discovered ours (the one time) everything was all thawed out. The things on top were barely cold, so we tossed it. (I was SICK OVER IT!) The things on the bottom, that were still ice cold, we called friends and neighbors, and gave it to them, explaining what had happened. It all needed to be cooked right away. So at least it did not go to waste. (We discovered this all about 9:00 PM, having just gone to dinner) I was not about to cook all of this meat, I just wanted to go to bed.

Now I have a question for everyone. Have you ever had the "WHITE FINISH" come off in the bottom of your freezer?? I discovered this a couple days ago, when I took inventory of my freezer. (I keep a "running list" taped to the top of my deep freeze, on the outside. That way I can keep track as to what is in there, and when it went in) I cross off the things I take out. (I update it every couple months or so.) Hope you did not loose to much. Cafe
Old 03-23-2003, 12:56 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Cafe,
Never have had the finish come off - as of yet! I don't think it would have an affect on the on the performance of the freezer. I'm thinking the coating just makes it easier to clean.
Old 03-23-2003, 01:08 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Cafe...nope.. I've had a few different freezers and never had that problem... What kind is it?

"A hundred years from now, it will not matter the sort of house I lived in, what my bank account was, or the car I drove....but the world may be different because I was important in the life of the animals and the creatures on this earth."
Old 03-23-2003, 01:47 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

It is a "ROPER" deep freeze. (It is a little bigger than a dishwasher. We bought it at CIRCUIT CITY a couple years ago. I had a ROPER before and it lasted about 15 years, had no problems with it at all. Cafe
Old 03-23-2003, 03:18 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Get in touch with the company and tell them what happened....and what they suggest....like maybe a replacement....you have nothing to lose and all to gain....Check your warranty book too..