Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Food Safety: Keeping Food Fresh Ideas relating to canning all types of foods, can also cover freezing for preservation, long term storage, avoiding spoilage and other safety concerns.

Old 04-25-2002, 08:51 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

i have a foodsaver too.but the bags are so expensive for it.my mom gave me a daisy vacuum sealer.and it will take any bag.so i use and i use the jar sealer on the food saver.so i get use out of both of them.
Old 05-24-2002, 02:22 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

does canning pay?

i have resumed canning again after a hiatus due to working too many hours(50-60 a week) i can tell you that it does pay off if your water bill is not too high from it. even then it means a healthier way for your family to eat. you can customize it by leaving out the salt or sugar if your family requires that kind of dietary restriction and then there's the taste. my family actually will not eat a store bought green bean anymore. you can learn more about canning and freezing by taking classes through your county extension office. give them a call they have master canners that are willing to help you out by answering questions.
Old 06-06-2002, 10:22 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie

Okay--now I'm excited!! I just got a water bath canner today at my neighbor's yardsale--my mil gave me a ton of jars last year, and my vegetable plants are growing like crazy! I've been wanting to try canning for a long time now. I've also heard the horror stories about pressure canners, but am going to buy one anyway. I've been saving here and there to buy one. I'm a bit nervous, though, either way. I'm afraid I won't do it right and end up poisoning my family!
Old 06-06-2002, 12:04 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

HI mrsmaniac,good luck with the pressuse canner.
i am to afraid to use one.and i know that it is silly.my daddy used one all the time.and he never had any problems with it and it was one of the really old ones.the newer one are suppose to be so much safer.
emmalee
Old 06-06-2002, 12:50 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

pressure cooker fears

the new pressure cookers are much better than the older models in that they have a lock to keep the lid from blowing off. if you carefully read the directions and follow them you should be fine. they are great as far as cooking meals faster.
Old 06-09-2002, 08:28 AM
FamilyCorner Junkie

Heehee! That's why I'm going to kick out the $$$ to buy a new one! I saw one at a yard sale, but it was older. I'm too paranoid, I admit it! But I'd rather buy new and have the instructions, and know everything is new and no problems...

Even so, the frugal me is screaming NO!!! NOT 80 BUCKS!! AAGH!! My best defense is that it will pay for itself over time lol!
Old 10-14-2002, 01:39 PM

Canning

Hi everyone-

Didn't discover this thread till today and canning season is over for another year (sigh). I did want to mention there is a cheaper source for the Sure Jel, Dutch Valley Food Distributors mentioned in The Tightwad Gazette has 10 lbs. for $25.48 ,10 lbs. gel for $28.04-it last for years if stored properly and if you have other friends you could split the cost. Sure Gel here cost about 3.00 for 3 oz. or whatever the small pkg. is. Hope this helps for next year

Anna
Old 11-03-2006, 01:23 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomom
Okay, I have a dumb question.

I have been thinking about learning to can, but I'm wondering -- does it really save money? If I canned store-bought vegetables or made store-bought fruits into jellies, would I still save money, or do you pretty much have to grow your own?
That's a really good question. I'm in the same position as my husband and I are caretakers for his grandmother at the moment. Where we are at there is next to no room to do much for growing of a garden so the next best thing is to by local produce or purchase it at the grocery store.

Luckily, there is one store which I go to frequently because I know the produce is fresh daily and have never had any issues with it. I have a few other questions regarding canning which I will put into another thread however I would like to know as well, does it really make a difference on the veggies/other if it is store bought or home grown when it comes to canning?
Old 11-03-2006, 01:41 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

New to canning arena

I'm like a babe in the woods to the canning arena so it is a little overwhelming with all of the information.

I have been researching about canning and more imparticular the canning of homemade spaghetti sauce.

I make a large batch of it at least once a year to be put away into the deep freezer; well this year we decided to take advantage of the large pantry we have and use the space. Makes sense to me.

So I started to wonder what is it that I need to do in order for this process. I've been reading in many areas that Ball mason jars are the best to use - no problem there and I know where I can get a good deal on them.

Where I'm getting confused is on two things. One with the canning process that I need to go through in order to properly assure the product is safe. Number two concern is the sauce amount of ingredients that I use. I keep seeing everyone giving all of these recipes for an amount of using garden tomatoes and things of that nature but what about the canned tomatoes?

I make my own sauce using this, that, and the other; don't measure anything less I have to. But my question here is, wouldn't the canned tomatoes work just as well and if so, how would you do the conversion of grown tomatoes in a recipe to canned when you there any recipes that use them? Hope that makes sense.

So many questions and I'm sure I'll come up with a few others after I'm done with this email post.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help!
Old 01-18-2007, 03:03 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

canning can save you money but it also takes a lot of time and resources. i've canned for years and now only do things i can't easily get fresh or a quality substitute doesn't exist.

for example, i love heirloom tomatoes. so at the end of the season i can the end of the crop and have incredible canned tomatoes all year round.

i also have an obsession with creating the perfect pickle.

i also do jams and jellies as it's fun and i can control the amount of sugar or the sweetner i use.

with the readily avialable supply of food year aorund these days I don't believe canning makes a lot of sense from a strictly economic or dietary sense. but it is fun if you do things you enjoy.