Visit FamilyCorner.com for tons of seasonal ideas!
quick link - go to our home page quick link - kid's crafts, family fun, printables, etc quick link - sign up for our free newsletter quick link - holiday crafts, recipes and ideas quick link - gardening, organizing, saving money, decorating and more quick link - our FunBook is filled with lots of quick ideas, tips and crafts quick link - join our bustling community of friendly members

Go Back   FamilyCorner.com Forums > >

Food Safety: Keeping Food Fresh Ideas relating to canning all types of foods, can also cover freezing for preservation, long term storage, avoiding spoilage and other safety concerns.

Old 05-15-2002, 07:23 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

Canning and Preserves

I know that now is a great time for canning and making jellies. The fruits and veggies are really cheap, especially if you grow your own. I have never canned or made jelly that lasts more than a few weeks in the refridgerator.
Does anyone have hints and directions for someone who would like to add this to her frugal ways?
Old 05-15-2002, 10:36 AM
FamilyCorner Newbie

i never canned until 3 years ago

i never canned until 3 years ago and i done it on whim. i was tired of paying alot of money for nothing. we were eating salsa one day and hubby turned to me and said lets make us some and we have been doing now for 4 year and i can honestly say i love it. It has become a hobby to me to see what and how much i can can. today i made strawberry jam 32 half pints 6 pints and 2 quarts. i will give away some of for x-mas. this year i am branching out and trying other things. the best thing to do if you know of a older person get there knowledge first then go to the books the ball blue book has been great. and the internet. starting looking for jars at yard sales that is where the cost really comes in if you can and have no jars. i want to make beef stew this year when the taters and carrots and onions comes in the garden. other types of jams and jellys. canning really keeps down my grocery bill. and it so much better for you no additives or preservatives just really good food.
Old 05-15-2002, 12:50 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

i haven't done any canning yet, but want to start either this year or next. one thing i have read from a couple of the boards i read is to get the ball's blue book on canning. you can find it in the grocery store and walmart near the canning supplies. i have seen it at both places and one of these days i am going to get one. it tells you what you can can and how, ie waterbath canning vs pressure canner.
Old 05-16-2002, 02:38 PM
FamilyCorner Newbie

Contact your local Extension Service office to receive free or inexpensive USDA approved canning/freezing information. It is important for your family's safety that only USDA approved methods are used. If you cannot find this listing in your phone book, go to msucares.com, which is the Mississippi Extension site.
Old 05-16-2002, 06:44 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Junkie

Ditto on the Ball Blue Book! It's my bible for canning!
Old 05-17-2002, 08:30 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

I used to can lots of garden veggies, but they are so cheap in the store I don't think it saved any money. Now I just do things like soups. Make a huge batch of chicken soup, stew, or chili and put it in pint jars. It's just right for my dh and I for lunch.
I also do freezer jam--it tastes so much better than canned!
I have made pickles and salsa, too, but I would love to see a new recipe for salsa!!

Please list the canned salsa recipe!

Caroline
Old 05-19-2002, 10:46 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Admirer

My mother got me started on canning when I was little...she always made her own pickles -- beet, sweet cucumber, and watermelon rind. Dill pickles for her were always soggy, so she quit making them. We always froze our veggies, except for pickles. She & I both started making jellies when my son was born about 13 yrs. ago. I use juice to make grape and apple (it's a lot quicker). I also make blackberry jam and "strawberry" jam which uses figs & strawberry Jello (tastes almost like the real thing). I have used the strawberry juice (Juicy Juice) to make strawberry jelly, but it tastes a little bland.

For the jellies, all I did is follow the directions on the package of pectin. I put our jelly up in pint jars b/c we have such a large family, and my twins live just about on PB&J sandwiches right now. The jams I make, I put up in "jelly" jars (half-pint).

The pickle recipes I use have been passed down from my grandmother to my mother to me. I have an old WMU recipe book from the early 1970's which lists a whole lot of different "conserving" recipes, but I haven't tried them yet.

If anyone has a GOOD recipe for CRISP dill pickles, please post on this list. My family would certainly appreciate it!

Charlene, mother to five

When God closes a door, somewhere he opens a window.
Old 06-04-2002, 06:26 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

My husband is the salsa king around our house..last year I was making salsa and he started giving advice.:mad: lol then finally took completely over...then he had the nerve to enter into our local fair and won!!! Now no one makes salsa like him(or so he thinks)..I remember my gmother and mom always canning but to be honest I am terrified of a pressure cooker...I would love to can soup and veg. but I'm not sure if its ok without pressuring it...any suggestions??
Thanks,
Georgia
Old 06-04-2002, 06:51 PM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

Salsa!

I'm looking for good salsa recipes...could you let us in on your dh's secrets?
Does he can it, or just use it fresh? I'd like to be able to make lots of salsa from the garden and then put in jars for later.

Caroline
Old 06-05-2002, 08:40 AM
Nine Year Member
FamilyCorner Newbie

canning veg soup

Caroline
You said you can veg soup.Do you pressure cook that or is it ok to just water bath..to seal? I was wondering just how you do yours.. I will look for my husbands salsa recipe and will let you know his secrets..lol He says a pinch of this and a tablespoon of that..lol We canned it by the pints so we can enjoy it year around...Will try my best to get that to you soon ok
Thanks for the tip about the breadmachines...may just try it out again today...

God Bless
I love this message boards..with so many new friends ..Its great!!